SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Looking for feedback on Gold Valves for stock shock (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/looking-feedback-gold-valves-stock-shock-24663/)

zwoehr 02-04-2011 05:06 PM

Looking for feedback on Gold Valves for stock shock

Just curious as to how well these work. What kind of improvement to expect and weather those that have used them would do it again or go with another shock altogether.
Thanks,
Z

mboe794 02-04-2011 05:13 PM

There is a Penski for sale on here currently. If I was lighter I would have bought it already, but I don't want to have to buy a spring too. Another option is a modded F4i shock from JamieDaugherty here on the forum. This is my current plan since I have a nice F4i shock here already. I've been waiting for a response for a few day now though.

I wouldn't bother with the stocker.

Tweety 02-04-2011 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by mboe794 (Post 292449)
There is a Penski for sale on here currently. If I was lighter I would have bought it already, but I don't want to have to buy a spring too. Another option is a modded F4i shock from JamieDaugherty here on the forum. This is my current plan since I have a nice F4i shock here already. I've been waiting for a response for a few day now though.

I wouldn't bother with the stocker.

Well, Jamie will go "offline" for a few days when he's busy with working off the workpile, nothing odd with that, it's not a big "company" with staff to man the phones... But his work is top notch... Give him a few days and he'll get back to you...

I have a F4i that he worked over for me, and couldn't be happier... As far as I can tell it's working just as well as the Öhlins that most of my riding buddies paid dearly for...

The stock shock is IMHO best replaced with a nice pine or oak 2x4 of suitable lenght... It has about the same damping potential... I wouldn't bother with dressing it up nice...

mboe794 02-04-2011 05:53 PM

Yeah, I figured he's just busy. No hurry. There's two feet of snow out there!

Tweety 02-04-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by mboe794 (Post 292454)
Yeah, I figured he's just busy. No hurry. There's two feet of snow out there!

Lucky you, that means sledding weather... Here it's down to a measly 1-2 inches of grey crap... And the significant other threatened me with dire sanctions if me and the bike left the garage to go riding on icy roads... I tried convincing her that it was perfectly safe, as long as there was no snow, but her reply was short and sweet... "Ha!" followed by very telling eye movements...

Sorry, thread drift... Back to your scheduled whackyness...

JamieDaugherty 02-04-2011 06:15 PM

A revalve of the OEM SuperHawk shock is a great upgrade, one that most people overlook. I've ridden Penske, Ohlins, WP, and many others. From my experience I can tell you that a properly revalved stock shock, even a non-reservoir style like the VTR's have, performs so well that you would have difficulty telling the difference between it and an aftermarket shock on the street. About the only thing it lacks is adjustability - it only offers spring preload and rebound damping external adjustments. If that's important to you then a revalved F4 shock would provide the additional compression adjustment. Considering that a revalve/respring to the stock shock is $300 and a fully modified F4 shock is $460 it's hard to justify $1000 or more on an aftermarket shock. I run a WP shock on my bike but I've replaced the internals on it with RaceTech parts - that's how much I like their valving!

smokinjoe73 02-04-2011 06:44 PM

I dont see the penske for sale currently. Is it gone?

mboe794 02-04-2011 07:08 PM

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=23792

smokinjoe73 02-04-2011 08:39 PM

Oh ok.

zwoehr 02-05-2011 12:10 PM

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and bought the Penske. :)