SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Looking for a bit of a parts list.... susp and wheels (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/looking-bit-parts-list-susp-wheels-26773/)

mertechperformance 10-06-2011 12:46 PM

Looking for a bit of a parts list.... susp and wheels

Looking to run Honda USD forks, with 6 spoke honda wheels.

Looking at 929 front end, and am wondering which triple/bearings works in stock sh neck.

also will the 900rr 6 spoke wheels work with the thick axled 929 front end?

I know the 6 spoke 900rr wheels fit stock front and rear sh axles....

just trying to get some sort of cohesive parts list to get me going.

I know many variables come into play and thus is why I'm looking for what all CAN work, I know wheel bearings can be swapped but wondering if anything is closer than another or might not need to swap.

NOT in need of pure bolt on BY ANY means as I know the only close thing is the 900rr standard front forks ( :( )

Again just looking for some help.
This is NOT my first rodeo I just know that NOT having to be the guinea pig buying one of everything just to see what worked or could work would have surely helped me in my Ruckus modding days .

Thank you.

8541Hawk 10-06-2011 12:50 PM

Search is your friend.......

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...p-guide-23751/

mertechperformance 10-06-2011 12:58 PM

yeah read the thread, not much help. re reading for the 4th time.....

looks as though tweety's post is somewhat helpful for what i'm looking at now to find "good" looking wheels to fit the 929/954 fork and a matching rear (I HATE 3 spoke wheels)

mertechperformance 10-06-2011 01:07 PM

to add to this will 929/954 rear wheels fit the SH? (not listed in the front fork swap thread)

8541Hawk 10-06-2011 01:32 PM

Anything can be made to fit. If you are talking about just a "bolt on" then the answer is no.

Also you mention 900rr wheels. You have a bit of a misconception here also.
The 900rr front wheel will fit but no one uses them as they are 16" wheels.

The correct set up would be a 900rr rear wheel and a 600F3 front wheel.

As for the thread not being "useful" well it is a lot more info than I had when I did my front end swap.

superhawk22 10-06-2011 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 315665)
Anything can be made to fit. If you are talking about just a "bolt on" then the answer is no.

Also you mention 900rr wheels. You have a bit of a misconception here also.
The 900rr front wheel will fit but no one uses them as they are 16" wheels.

The correct set up would be a 900rr rear wheel and a 600F3 front wheel.

As for the thread not being "useful" well it is a lot more info than I had when I did my front end swap.

Well you are partially correct, the f3 wheel is a bolt on to the stock set up, if you are doing a 929/954 front end the rotors are different so you would have to use RC51 front wheel. You do however still have to change the bearings, spacers and sleeve inbetween the bearings,(cant remember the correct term). Collar, damn memory!

superhawk22 10-06-2011 02:00 PM

As far as bearings for the triple I used all balls race tappered bearings for the 929 and they fit right in the frame just change the bearing races.

lazn 10-06-2011 02:00 PM

Use a complete RC51 front end with 929/954 triples and a 900rr rear wheel.

superhawk22 10-06-2011 02:24 PM

RC51 triples work as well, but if you want the larger diameter rotors from the 929 front end you can still use the RC51 wheel because it has the same bolt pattern.

8541Hawk 10-06-2011 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by superhawk22 (Post 315667)
Well you are partially correct, the f3 wheel is a bolt on to the stock set up,

Well if you read the original post I was replying to his comment that 900rr wheels will bolt on to a stock set up.

So I replied to why it is not done.

Nowhere did I say you could run the 900rr wheels (or the F3 wheel) on a different front end.

superhawk22 10-06-2011 02:42 PM

Ok no need to get your panties in a bunch. :lol: his original question was will it work on a 929 front end which it won't.

8541Hawk 10-06-2011 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by superhawk22 (Post 315674)
Ok no need to get your panties in a bunch. :lol: his original question was will it work on a 929 front end which it won't.

Just like there is no need to tell someone they are giving out false or improper information when you don't understand or comprehend the question being answered.....

as for his original question, I'll make it easy for you as it appears you have still missed it:

Originally Posted by mertechperformance (Post 315658)

So you can continue with you panty BS if that is what makes you feel good but all I was doing was giving a answer to why a 900rr front wheel is not used in any of the swaps.

superhawk22 10-06-2011 03:21 PM

Ok I know how to use the quote tool as well so here is a better use of it. ;)

Originally Posted by mertechperformance (Post 315658)
also will the 900rr 6 spoke wheels work with the thick axled 929 front end?

just trying to get some sort of cohesive parts list to get me going.

Now as far as the panty thing it was a joke thus the laughing smiley so I just have 2 words for you, decaffinated coffee. ;) I really wasn't trying to pick on you or your knowledge just trying to make sure a fellow member doesn't use the information the wrong way.

thetophatflash 10-06-2011 03:39 PM

Obviously we are not getting enough time in the saddle, eh, boys. Happens every year this time. People just start getting cranky. I suggest putting the bike on the rear stand and getting on board. "Vroooms" are optional. lol

superhawk22 10-06-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by thetophatflash (Post 315683)
Obviously we are not getting enough time in the saddle, eh, boys. Happens every year this time. People just start getting cranky. I suggest putting the bike on the rear stand and getting on board. "Vroooms" are optional. lol

:lol: I'm all good here I'm in Fla so just starting to get into the good riding season! ;)

smokinjoe73 10-06-2011 10:47 PM

Have you seen this? 09-2010 1000RR Front End - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum Easy bolt on

scooter72 10-07-2011 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 315730)

I'll chime in on this one...08-10 CBR1000rr front ends are not a bolt up affair like the 04-07 models by any means. In 08 they changed the steering stem to a bigger piece, which is the same diameter on the upper and lower bearings, similar to the SP2 RC51, which doesnt fit our bikes etiher.(SH stem is tapered-o.d.of 30mm lower and 26mm upper v.s 35mm upper and lower o.d on the 08) Also, the triples are narrower between the fork tubes, so if you used an earlier triple, you'd still need to mess with wheel spacers and rotors to make it work. Custom stem bearings wont work either...had that discussion with Allballs racing already.

I am in the process of making a complete 08 front end fit on my hawk, and it requires pressing out the 08 stem, heading to your local machine shop and having a custom stem made using the hawk stem diameters and a then to fit into the 08 lower triple. I also needed a stem bushing made for the 08 upper triple hole, as the Hawk stem is a smaller diameter than the 08 stem.

It is alot more messing around to make it work, but the 08-10 front end is an awesome piece...stiffer springs, lighter weight, awesome brakes and black fork tubes look killer too. If I didnt get such a great deal on mine, I might have gone with an earlier setup just to make life easier. If you're up for a challenge and got the skill, its worth it.

mertechperformance 10-07-2011 02:00 PM

ok, so i'm trying to piece together some stuff.

RC51 parts seems to come at a premium over other honda models and are often times bent.....

929 front end.

954 wheel set

what will need to be done for the rear wheel to fit sh? i assume swapping out bearings, anyone know from what size to what or have done so in the past and can point me to a set to buy?

Tweety 10-07-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by mertechperformance (Post 315762)
ok, so i'm trying to piece together some stuff.

RC51 parts seems to come at a premium over other honda models and are often times bent.....

929 front end.

954 wheel set

what will need to be done for the rear wheel to fit sh? i assume swapping out bearings, anyone know from what size to what or have done so in the past and can point me to a set to buy?

A couple of questions first...

Why 954 wheels? They are 3 spoke just like stock, and IMHO just as ugly? They are lighter though, so that might be why?

AFAIK nobody have done that before, so it's uncharted territory... There are three bearings in the rear wheel, two in the rim itself, and one in the cushdrive...

I'm not 100% sure, but might be possible to just use the stock cushdrive, and in theory all the other parts should line up, since the measurement across the wheelhub is actually the same...

If that doesn't work, it's time for measuring bearings... Again, not 100% sure, but I believe the outer dimensions of the bearings might actually be the same... (Honda likes to standardize things!) If they are, it should in theory be possible to just swap the bearings over...

If that fails, I'd talk to allballs... They can usually match up just about anything in bearings... So having them find the correct outer size bearings with an 20 mm ID for the Superhawk should be easy...

Good luck!

mertechperformance 10-07-2011 09:07 PM

Correct, stock 954 as well as 929 are "ugly" 3 spokers. The ones I've found are Daytona esque 'ulti spoke works of wonders, I'll post the link to them once I get to a comp. They're quite fetching if I do say so myself.

E.Marquez 10-07-2011 09:28 PM

Lots wheel choices, if you want to spend about the same on a set of wheels as the cost of a decent SH
OZ Wheels Forged Aluminum Honda RC51 - Indysuperbikes
CARROZZERIA Honda RC51 Motorcycle Wheel Set - Tobefast
Marchesini

Tweety 10-08-2011 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by mertechperformance (Post 315796)
Correct, stock 954 as well as 929 are "ugly" 3 spokers. The ones I've found are Daytona esque 'ulti spoke works of wonders, I'll post the link to them once I get to a comp. They're quite fetching if I do say so myself.

Then it becomes a whole new ball game... An expensive one...

No aftermarket wheel I have seen use the same size or configuration of bearings as stock, some use a cushdrive some don't... On a IL4 you might get away with not using one... On the Superhawk it will eat the sprocket and chain, as well as being profoundly uncomfortable...

mertechperformance 10-08-2011 01:20 AM

honda 954 complete set of rims - eBay (item 150670190042 end time Oct-08-11 07:58:42 PDT)

E.Marquez 10-08-2011 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 315803)
Then it becomes a whole new ball game... An expensive one...

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 315803)

No aftermarket wheel I have seen use the same size or configuration of bearings as stock, some use a cushdrive some don't... On a IL4 you might get away with not using one... On the Superhawk it will eat the sprocket and chain, as well as being profoundly uncomfortable...

OZ wheels direct fit no MOD required, VTR, CBR, RC51, and others so no matter what combo you run swing arm and forks, you can get a driect fit.

As well as "A special cush system (AST - anti shock technology) is utilized inside the sprocket carrier system. Through the use of special components and it’s materials working at a high temperature, the result is better final drive operation which leads to increased life of chain & sprocket"

Marchesini
Common fitment for front, custom spacers needed for rear.

Rubber damper available as an accessory.

Tweety 10-08-2011 02:36 AM

And still, mixing and matching, a CBR front and VTR rear, is not going to get you any "package" deals...

superhawk22 10-08-2011 10:25 AM

I'm running a 900rr rear with a RC51(sp1) front got my front wheel for a decent price just have to watch all auctions and check all sites that might have them. It wasn't overnight by any means but patients and persistence got me what I wanted.;)

mertechperformance 10-08-2011 01:02 PM

yeah finding rc51 wheel's seems to be the hard part (for a remotely decent price that is)

Found a nice 5 spoke rc51 rear but there's no matching front to be found on any site, lol.

the 900rr rear is probably the easiest, bolts on and matches the rc51 front just about perfectly.

8541Hawk 10-08-2011 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by mertechperformance (Post 315853)
yeah finding rc51 wheel's seems to be the hard part (for a remotely decent price that is)

Yeas they are very rare anymore. I won't tell you how long it took me to find one (well 2 as I had both an SP1 & SP2 front wheel at one time)

Found a nice 5 spoke rc51 rear but there's no matching front to be found on any site, lol.

That would be an SP2 wheel and good luck finding one of those. The reason being is even the RC51 guys were swapping them for the SP1 wheels as the front is around 1.5 lbs lighter

the 900rr rear is probably the easiest, bolts on and matches the rc51 front just about perfectly.

Yes they do match well but you will pay a premium for any RC51 front wheel.

superhawk22 10-08-2011 01:20 PM

They're almost a perfect match except the color which I didn't realize until I got mine the RC has a dull finish to it. I think I paid 150 for mine but that was a couple of yrs ago. I saw 2 on ebay I think 249-299 with me it took patients and persistence, look everywhere speedzilla cbr forum any racing forums etc.

mertechperformance 10-08-2011 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 315858)
Yeas they are very rare anymore. I won't tell you how long it took me to find one (well 2 as I had both an SP1 & SP2 front wheel at one time)

That would be an SP2 wheel and good luck finding one of those. The reason being is even the RC51 guys were swapping them for the SP1 wheels as the front is around 1.5 lbs lighter

Yes they do match well but you will pay a premium for any RC51 front wheel.

found the sp2 rear for less than 150 shipped

and a front for 250