SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Little Help Please (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/little-help-please-33173/)

h4dr0n 05-05-2015 08:37 PM

Little Help Please

Hi Everyone.
Guess ill take this opportunity to introduce myself to the forums
1st SuperHawk and 1st Post here
So i picked up a 98 SuperHawk last week and was so impressed by how well it handled that i apparently overlooked just how rough the condition of the bike was. But then again i talked him down and got it pretty cheap $1800

Anyway. my main issue is how the bike is running right now
It seems to be running really rich. It backfires when you left off the throttle.
for a 1000cc bike the power doesnt seem to be there. I noticed the bolts on the exhaust were stripped (yoshi rs3 full) so i pulled the ends off and the baffles were removed (seems like a popular mod here)
So did he not rejet the carb? better to put baffles back in or...
Were the baffles remove just for the sound?
Also the kickstand does not stand the bike up very well.
it leans pretty far over. it does look like it was replaced but ive been to the dealer and looked at several and it looks to be a stock replacement.
the bracket and everything is in good order (not bent) so idk
the other theory offered to me was the shock might have been switched out or other replacement that would change the height of the bike.
measured the kick stand and its 7" from the center on the bolt to the ground. 7 3/4" from top to bottom. anyway, any help with this would be appreciated

CruxGNZ 05-05-2015 09:04 PM

Hello and welcome.

The backfiring, it might be caused by one of the two vacuum lines underneath the carbs have popped off. Check that first. Another suspect would be those stripped bolts on the exhaust. Any leaks in the exhaust will cause backfiring as well.

You might want to sync the carbs if you are unsure of when the P.O. (previous owner) has done so. You will then be familiar with the two vacuum lines I mentioned.

The baffles are just for sound. That's it. Baffle out = louder than baffle in.

The kickstand issue, well if you have a stock shock, then some people here put a 6mm-10mm spacer above the top shock mount to raise the rear of the bike. This helps make the bike more "flickable". The downside, is the bike will lean over further when the kickstand is down. Search for CBR1000RR kickstand mod. Its a longer kickstand that bolts in place of the stock kickstand.

The two Achiles Heel to this bike are the CCT's (Cam Chain Tensioner) and the R/R (Regulator/Rectifier). If it hasn't been done already, look into replacing the stock CCT's with manual ones, or thier is a very good possibility that your engine's pistons and valves can hit each other if the stock CCT lets go, which is not a good scenario. Lots of information on this here. Search is your friend.
The R/R issue, search for MOSFET and you will learn everything you need to know. We also have a Knowledge Base here that you can glean a lot of information from.

h4dr0n 05-05-2015 09:19 PM

Thanks CruxGNC
I'll check on those couple things you mentioned and see what's what. Pretty familiar with Hondas so I knew about the R/R
Issues. Standard.
Parts seem pretty hard to come by for these bikes but I'll manage I guess.

scottiemann 05-05-2015 09:51 PM

welcome to the forum!

Just to clarify is your assumption that the bike is running rich based on the popping and backfiring on deceleration or are those two seperate issues you have?

The bike has an emissions system (PAIR) that causes popping on decel, basically its job is to let fresh air in the exhaust port of the cylinder head in order for any unburnt fuel to ignite(extreme exhaust temps+fresh air+fuel=popopopop lol) If this system is still intact, what your hearing could be perfectly normal and removal of this system will reduce that with no detrimental effects.

As far as the kick stand is concerned if you want to upload a pic of the shock as well as the top shock mount where the shock meets the frame we can let you know if its been modified in any way

h4dr0n 05-05-2015 10:06 PM

No I'm pretty sure I'm shooting flames out my exhaust.
I'm sure the carbs haven't been synced. The PO didn't take very good care of it.
When I get back home I'll check the shock. Should be pretty easy to tell I'd think just never really looked at it.

8541Hawk 05-06-2015 01:56 AM

The one thing that has been overlooked is where in Colorado are you located or better what is the altitude at your location ?

Just asking as you might need to run "high altitude" jetting depending on where you are at. ;)

h4dr0n 05-06-2015 12:15 PM

So turns out it's an aftermarket adjustable shock. So there you go probably. Guess I'll just find me a cbr1000rr kickstand
Got new baffles and a jet kit on its way. New levers. I'll order new plastics soon or fix the cracks in these ones. The frame was painted over with aluminum paint ugh. Why fuck up polished aluminum? So eventually in might tear it all down and either do powder coating or try and sand all of it off and polish it again. Too much work right now. Makes me wish I bought this bike a couple months ago when I wouldn't be able ride anyway.
Anyway thanks for everyone's help and warm welcome to the forums