SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Lightweight subframe? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/lightweight-subframe-21251/)

mikstr 01-09-2010 02:14 PM

Lightweight subframe?

I was wondering if anyone was aware of the existance of a lightweight replacement subframe for the VTR? While I realise the custom route is one possibility, I was wondering if anyone is aware of ready-built unit? I should add that it would have to be strong enough to handle the added weight of a passenger. Not expecting much but who knows.......

cheers

LineArrayNut 01-09-2010 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
how much lighter could it be? i mean, i'm 230 lb's could it really make a difference? in b4 fat ass etc.... 6'3" tall and all muscle, bitches...

inderocker 01-09-2010 03:53 PM

You could start with a 900RR subframe and shorten it, the front mounting points are almost identical. There might be better options out there though.

ranchomice 01-09-2010 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut (Post 249592)
how much lighter could it be? i mean, i'm 230 lb's could it really make a difference? in b4 fat ass etc.... 6'3" tall and all muscle, bitches...

lmao, that was good! I think it's already pretty light! Not a lot to it. Heck when I look at it I kind of wonder how it supports two people!

mikstr 01-09-2010 06:49 PM

Thanks Inde :)

BTW, the question was not a poll or a request for your opinion on the worthiness of such an item. In other words, please feel free to refrain from answering if you don't have the requested info.... To shed light on the matter, the VTR sub is made from steel when virtually every new bike uses aluminum (and some even resort to magnesium) so maybe, just maybe, there is a reason for the evolution....

8541Hawk 01-09-2010 06:53 PM

Well Two Brothers used to sell one back in the day but it's another part you'll never find. What it was, basically it was a copy of the stock subframe made out of Al tubing. It was listed as solo rider only.

So you best bet would be to take the stock unit to a welder and ask for a copy out of Al..... and not be fat like me.....lol

Cheers,
Mike

8541Hawk 01-09-2010 06:56 PM

Well I guess I should read the whole post before I reply as I didn't see the passenger part. With that, there is not really anything you can do without compromising safety.

bjorn toulouse 01-09-2010 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 249589)
I was wondering if anyone was aware of the existance of a lightweight replacement subframe for the VTR? While I realise the custom route is one possibility, I was wondering if anyone is aware of ready-built unit? I should add that it would have to be strong enough to handle the added weight of a passenger. Not expecting much but who knows.......

I'll fabricate a sub frame for you out of aluminum, but NO PASSENGER!

Rex

mikstr 01-09-2010 07:04 PM

thanks guys. Guess I'll stick with the stock piece then.

cheers

ranchomice 01-10-2010 12:10 AM

I didn't know others were using aluminum and I didn't mean to offend mikstr, if I did, I apologize. I suppose if they are using aluminum it CAN be done. Now I'm curious to see a piece made and weighed against the stock one!

Rama 01-10-2010 05:06 AM

I hav'nt a subframe... I use a structural fairing in carbon, and it can sustain all the electrical part of the bike, the battery and my weight.
It's a DIY mod's, but you can make whit a mold of the fairing ( I use a SP2 fairing) and whit carbon fiber.
So, my subframe was very light... he does not exist!

E.Marquez 01-10-2010 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rama (Post 249628)
I hav'nt a subframe... I use a structural fairing in carbon, and it can sustain all the electrical part of the bike, the battery and my weight.
It's a DIY mod's, but you can make whit a mold of the fairing ( I use a SP2 fairing) and whit carbon fiber.
So, my subframe was very light... he does not exist!

Pictures please.. lots of pictures.

Rama 01-10-2010 06:10 AM

Some pictures are in my post "My VTR", but you can show anly the frame and the rear fairing made like a SP2... it have 4 bolt for mounting into the frame, and nothing other...