SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Just dropped her off... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/just-dropped-her-off-14615/)

mikstr 05-01-2008 07:02 PM

Just dropped her off...

at the dealer (who'll be doing all of front-end conversion work as I do not have a garage to work in). I showed up with a trunkload of parts (rims, new tires (BT-14 front and 180/55 BT-21 rear; no more 190/50 for me), new bearings and seals, forks, triple clamps with new tapered roller steering bearings, modified Helibars, 900RR calipers with new seals and HRC hard bite pads, Daytona 955 front fender with mounting hardware, 42-teeth aluminum sprocket) and the bike, along with my written instructions (to do list, as well as printed copy of exact how-to for 96 900RR fork conversion). If the good Lord is happy with me I'll get a call telling me to pick it up at day's end tomorrow. The only rotten part is that neither of the radial MC's I ordered ever arrived so I'll have to tackle that one later (on the positive side, it will allow me to make a direct comparison later regarding the performance of the SP-2 MC that is on there now and the radial set-up).

Fingers are crossed to be riding my (more) modded on the weekend.....

P.S. the PVM wheels are unbelievably light, the tech's eyes almost bugged out of his head when he picked up the front, he he

joshuatest 05-01-2008 07:08 PM

NICE...

Of course it costs money, but that sounds like the best way to do it... let somebody else.. lol

Hope they get it back to you on time...

I debated digging into a fork swap for all of about a day, then desided to let Greg have at it with my stock forks... which I think i'll be more than happy with.....

let us know when you get it back

mikstr 05-01-2008 07:09 PM

oh you'll know all right, with pics and all!

mikstr 05-02-2008 05:32 PM

Well, just got back from the dealer's. Seems the powdercoated went to town on many surfaces he shouldn't have so now I have to get all the mating surfaces (discs, hub) cleaned and trued. Anyhow, I asked them to go ahead with the fork and brake stuff, I will get the wheels fixed and can install those later on. More up and downs thanaq toilet seat on this one but at least it's not critical stuff as I can still ride it with stock wheels. More to follow.

joshuatest 05-02-2008 07:30 PM

So its still there for the time being? or you picked it up?

LineArrayNut 05-02-2008 10:05 PM

quickie threadjack

:threadjack:JoshuaTest: have you ridden your 15/43 yet? I bought the Soap 520 but was getting leery of the buzzy reports and was thinking of getting a 16T 520 sprocket to split the difference... how do you like yours?

mikstr 05-03-2008 05:32 AM

Bike is still at dealer's, should be done sometime Monday I hope (bit of a bummer but, then again, it's raining, cold and cloudy here right now so I likely wouldn't be riding it anyhow).

joshuatest 05-03-2008 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut (Post 162634)
:threadjack:JoshuaTest: have you ridden your 15/43 yet? I bought the Soap 520 but was getting leery of the buzzy reports and was thinking of getting a 16T 520 sprocket to split the difference... how do you like yours?

I installed the 15T first, then rode twice, but not more than 65-70mph or so, and didn't really notice much change... had a little more pep, but thats it... At 1st service last week, i had the dealer install the 43T rear, and road home with the 15/43, and I did notice a difference, but it wasn't bad... I did about 70 on the way home, and i could hear the pipes very nicely as I've got the Micron's on now...

Basically I figured out (thanks to SuperHawkForum) that there is very little difference in the 15/41 vs 16/43, and since swapping the front is super easy, and literally takes only 5min, I went ahead and did the rear, thinking if its to much, I could just swap the front back to stock 16, have the same effect pretty much as a -1, and shorten the wheelbase slightly...

Sprockets are cheap, fronts are even cheaper... So I say do them both, and just change front back if your not happy... even if your doing 520 conversion, a new 16T front is probably $20.

As for the feel, The 15/43 has way more low RPM grunt...