Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

JE Piston Installed...or not..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 04:18 PM
Back Marker

Bald Eagle is on a distinguished road
JE Piston Installed...or not..?

Hi All (Preferably with JE Piston Experience)
I have never been so pissed off ( better than ON) at these "C" clips that come with the JE Piston kit. I have rebuilt engines before and the clips that contains the gudgeon pin has always been tricky...but doable. OH MY F........G GOD!! This task was explosive.....my basement had a serious case of "Tourettes". I first noticed the retainer clips were larger (Thicker) than normal, and felt they had no tensile strength to retain the clip roundness. The whole attempt to install these clips was useless and when I removed them, they had a "Watermelon" shape. I installed the Honda clips which went in perfect, with a good snap when the clips found their grooved home position in the piston. I have not torqued down the con rod bolts yet..I would like to hopefully get anybody else's experience in this dilemma with the JE pistons. I went online to see if it was me, with my fingers having arthritis and made this simple job hard because a lack of dexterity..... but no...everyone was coming across this problem with the JE pistons....whew..!
Do I Use the Honda Clips? I will be calling JE pistons to get their opinion, just curious about the forum thoughts.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:53 AM
Back Marker

I got the JE clips in. Tricky to do but it can be done. Hope to post some pics.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:33 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle
I got the JE clips in. Tricky to do but it can be done. Hope to post some pics.
Pics?? really after blasting JE for just that, WE WANT VIDEO...lol
Old 03-22-2018, 03:30 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
From what I remember those JE clips were a pain in the *** as we say here in OZ.

I installed my JEs early on in the peice about 6 years ago. I remember that they were troublesome to say the least and a lot of head scratching and swearing went on. This was mainly due to the fact that a comprehensive makeover took place when all I intended to do was change the oil and filter.

It turned into a Journey to say the least. I am glad that I undertook the work, the bike had 11000 K's on it and now has 60,000Klms . It has been a good experience, this bike lends itself well to mods , be careful and post some pics please .
Old 03-22-2018, 05:07 AM
Back Marker

OK....I did have a video of my successful Front Piston endeavor...but I could not post it...First I had the wife with my Phone Camera trying to get the best angle, and it was like having a Leprechaun on my shoulders. Thank god she does not pay attention to this forum. Second, when I played it back, it sounded like a pig in a pig pen, snorting away as he was about to keel over and die. Third, and this was the best, my big spoon size Portuguese thumbs were completely blocking the part that you needed to see....so I will try to Video it again for the rear piston. I am waiting for some new clips because of my "Hulk Move" on my first attempt (I used pliers which you should never do), which I describe as "Watermeloned" the clip and made them useless. This has put me in a holding pattern to complete my rebuild at the moment.
So for my next Video attempt I will:
Have my daughter do the videoing, cause she knows how too.
The video will have music to it...Led Zeppelin..."Stairway to Heaven" ...Not grunting pig noises.
And lastly...I am putting my thumbs on a serious diet, so that you can see "what the hell" I am doing.
If all fails....you will have still pics instead.....sorry.