SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   I am Forked again (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/i-am-forked-again-15422/)

lowell 07-14-2008 12:41 PM

I am Forked again

After much information and offers I have finally gotten my forks rebuilt from that crap starting point of the OEM.

I decided to buy the components at my weight range from Race Tech local in So Cal. 0.90 springs and their shim stack. I also did both gold valves (compression and rebound)

I started the work myself by removing the forks from my VTR1000.
Using a friends Lift I was able to have the bike at an acceptable solid and servicable position.

I was able to dis-assemble the forks to get all the Nasty (looked to be orginal) fork oil out of the tubes. The seals and bushings were still fine.
The bottom holding bolt took an impart air wrench to spin free but got both on the first try. Right tools = God status.

The internal bits were a different matter, The springs came off easily enought but the bottom aluminum cap was a bit daunting. Also the documentation of the Shim stack assembly was beyond the education level that I have for a shop tech assembly procedure.

I felt that I had gotten to a dead stop point and decided to send my rocket launchers to Race Tech for the final reassembly. Since I was work traveling the next two weeks I had time to wait.

RaceTech did the work and even gave a break in the cost because I had gotten them to the assembly point without mucking them up.

Slapped them in on a Friday nite, Adjusted the height I had measured before diassembly. File smoothed the axle to allow it to smoothly slide into the fork legs without any binding.

Did the bounce to adjust the trueness of the fork legs and did a final tightening of all the bolts. Caliper spray clearner to those components.

Next did a complete Brake bleed on both calipers and banjo bolt air purge.

Cleaned the Clutch purge since that was dirty too.

Ride report:

Before the fix I had the following issues.

Oil fluid compressin lock over bumps.
Full fork travel during braking to the limits.
Chatter and twisting feeling over rough roads.
Softness and dive when just rolling off the throttle before turns

After:

All issues are GONE! I found rough roads to be a minor nothing to worry about. Confidence was in full bloom and I was able to late brake tap without the forks hitting bottom and having a pucker moment.
I feel both ends are operating at the same rate of compliance and give.
The rear I will slowly increase the the preload to see what the effect is as I increase the pace.

Yes I am totally pleased that this fix was worth the $$$'s/.

Gregw 07-14-2008 03:07 PM

The title of the thread had me worried there for a minute. Glad you got it sorted out. Did you ever get the RC51 front end?

Wolverine 07-15-2008 05:45 AM

And you spent how much $$$ on parts?
Also, could you relive the bounce part of reassembly? I put new tapered bearings in my SH this past winter and didn't know about the procedure till I recently read something about it in a magazine. Now I'm curious as to whether or not I should get at doing it.

lowell 07-15-2008 06:54 AM

I had an RC51 front end lined up for the bike but in doing the math and necessary other parts stilll necessary I went the rebuild method.

Full RT parts cost was $450 and $125 for RT to rebuild.
My labor on the bike was Zero dollars and one skinned knuckle.

If your having trouble with the front end, it does not matter what method you take in upgrading the forks . DO it.

nuhawk 07-16-2008 07:59 PM

I don't mean to spoil the party but Hawkrider rebuilt my front stockers with RT springs, valves from another donor, did his suspension guru shit to the stack and seals for $325 plus shipping. They came back with his complete setup info. Bike handles like a whole new animal. Although lately I hear his price is higher now.

Regardless of who does it - it's one of the best improvements you can do to the bike. This one of those reasons you DON'T buy a stock Superhawk.

lowell 07-17-2008 06:58 AM

Bought my Hawk at a price that would allow me to update the forks.

Ya RT did raise the bar a bit but all the consumer prices are jumping.

Hawkrider 07-30-2008 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 171990)
I don't mean to spoil the party but Hawkrider rebuilt my front stockers with RT springs, valves from another donor, did his suspension guru shit to the stack and seals for $325 plus shipping. They came back with his complete setup info. Bike handles like a whole new animal. Although lately I hear his price is higher now.

Regardless of who does it - it's one of the best improvements you can do to the bike. This one of those reasons you DON'T buy a stock Superhawk.

Nope, my price is still the same! - $325 for the full monty.

Includes:

springs and spacers
Silkolene RSF Pro oil
full revalve compression and rebound using modified stock components
fork tube polishing
valve polishing
full cleaning and inspection
Oil lock modification for racing is an additional $15
My complete setup instructions (worth at least $324.95 alone!) :mrgreen:

Gregw 07-30-2008 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 174171)
My complete setup instructions (worth at least $324.95 alone!) :mrgreen:

Now that it's in writing, I'll take "The Full Monty" minus the setup instructions. I hope I don't have to pay extra postage to mail 5 pennies.:x

Hawkrider 07-30-2008 04:23 PM

Sorry, it's a package deal! :crackup:

KC-10ENG 07-30-2008 05:43 PM

Hey Greg,

It was nice talking to you at Laguna!! I hope that you and your crew had a good time riding up the coast!!

Can you do me a favor and post up a pic of your Clip-ons on your Hawk, I think that i might try and find a set!

Thanks Dennis