SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   I almost screwed up (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/i-almost-screwed-up-25342/)

lukenukem47 04-24-2011 11:01 PM

I almost screwed up

At freeway speeds a BMW bike of some sorts decited to get on it and run me to about 140 and for the most part we where neck and neck. I was ashamed! Few minutes later there was a clearing and we started at 80 this time I remembered to down shift from 6 to 4th needless to say I destroyed all of his hopes that his bike was as fast as a Superhawk. No offense to our friends across the pond, but Americans that get those BMW here get real snooty for some dam reason.

VTRsurfer 04-24-2011 11:37 PM

Obviously it wasn't an S1000RR. My old '83 R100RS was only good for about 115.

stormingjoe 04-25-2011 02:08 PM

BM riders are the same world over!!

comedo 04-25-2011 04:03 PM

The better question is: Who is having the most fun?

NooB 04-25-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by lukenukem47 (Post 300290)
...needless to say I destroyed all of his hopes that his bike was as fast as a Superhawk.

That just made my week LOL! I detest BMW's with an intense, animalistic passion. My old man likes collecting cheap BMW's in various states of disrepair and since I only know how to turn wrenches I was drafted into fixing them. Those damn things are the most back-asswards machines :mad: I wish Germany a nuclear holocaust because of those damn bikes.

Good job hosing that fool. He probably thought you were on an SV.

1971allchaos 04-25-2011 06:25 PM

Funny Noob, Your Poppy was into the air heads, and My Da' was into the Limie bikes to.. My first restore with Da'.. Was a 69 triumph Daytona..
AAhh we were born on the wrong continent,
Both nice bikes to ride- and that is as nice as those bikes are....

autoteach 04-25-2011 07:03 PM

I guess I would be worried about some of the BMW's. k1200gt: 152 hp @ 620lbs. That is 50% more hp with nearly the same drag. There is a good chance that it would walk on the top.

trackdayhawk 04-25-2011 09:03 PM

I resemble that comment. I like Vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate, but no Harley Hash.

lukenukem47 04-25-2011 09:42 PM

I wish I knew what it was

This thing ran nearly 150 with a straight up driver and full wind screen. It was a no contest for the hawk. 6th gear full throttle from 80 to 145ish. But in my defense we where weaving and I just didnt know he was pegging it out to see if he could take me the first run. I was just playing around keeping up. The second run he got on it and I wasn't playing anymore.

After looking up a few bike u guys suggested it looked very similar to the k1200gt no saddle bags or sorts

VTRsurfer 04-25-2011 10:16 PM

Like I said, obviously not an S1000RR...193 hp, 450# wet.

Sounds like you went up against an RT, their touring model with the tall windscreen. Guys that ride those are usually geeks.

Karbon 04-25-2011 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by lukenukem47 (Post 300290)
At freeway speeds a BMW bike of some sorts decited to get on it and run me to about 140 and for the most part we where neck and neck. I was ashamed! Few minutes later there was a clearing and we started at 80 this time I remembered to down shift from 6 to 4th needless to say I destroyed all of his hopes that his bike was as fast as a Superhawk. No offense to our friends across the pond, but Americans that get those BMW here get real snooty for some dam reason.

LOL
any chimp can twist the wrist.

Furrybiker 04-26-2011 01:19 PM

Their an odd bunch on this side of the pond too, they need to have all the BMW gear, bit like H-D riders. Recently I have met a few who have committed the grave sin of telling an outsider that BM's are not perfect!!

Tweety 04-26-2011 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 300387)
I guess I would be worried about some of the BMW's. k1200gt: 152 hp @ 620lbs. That is 50% more hp with nearly the same drag. There is a good chance that it would walk on the top.

Good chance? I can tell you from personal experience that doing 150 mph on that bike is booring unless you try to juggle a coffecup and a lit cigarette while driving... So it's not really a chance, it's a certainity... It will blow by you in fifth gear, and keep going a good while after you run out of sixth... ;)

Not as fun in the twisties though, but not bad for a big long legged thing...

Originally Posted by lukenukem47 (Post 300404)
This thing ran nearly 150 with a straight up driver and full wind screen. It was a no contest for the hawk. 6th gear full throttle from 80 to 145ish. But in my defense we where weaving and I just didnt know he was pegging it out to see if he could take me the first run. I was just playing around keeping up. The second run he got on it and I wasn't playing anymore.

After looking up a few bike u guys suggested it looked very similar to the k1200gt no saddle bags or sorts

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 300408)
Like I said, obviously not an S1000RR...193 hp, 450# wet.

Sounds like you went up against an RT, their touring model with the tall windscreen. Guys that ride those are usually geeks.

The RT will still walk the VTR on top speed... Might not blow past, but it will pass you without to much effort, if the guy riding it knows what he's doing...

With the S1000RR it just isn't a contest... That thing eats up a VTR and spits it out in a half second, just waiting for more...

VTRsurfer 04-26-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Furrybiker (Post 300492)
Their an odd bunch on this side of the pond too, they need to have all the BMW gear, bit like H-D riders. Recently I have met a few who have committed the grave sin of telling an outsider that BM's are not perfect!!

Talking about Beemers not being perfect and valve adjustments, my '83 R100RS required about 20+ minutes of labor to adjust the valves. And since I'd heard they were notorious for mushrooming, I started adjusting them every 1k to 2k miles. Even then, by about 60,000 miles, when a valve job was done, you could have shaved with the old valves. There was absolutely no margin left...sharp as a razor.

I wore an Arai helmet, not one of those flip-up BMW units. And I've never owned any Aerostich gear. The RT and GS riders are usually more into that gear than the sportier BWM riders here in the USA. And of course the S1000RR has changed the image entirely.

The 1976 AMA Superbike Championship was won by Reg Pridmore on a BMW R90S.

D VTR RIDER 04-26-2011 09:17 PM

Just because you outran a Beemer doesn't mean shit. I had a K100 and loved it. I installed a header with a short can and did suspension work front and back and had a blast on that bike. I did my first 2 track days on that bike and had a blast and I wasn't even close to being the slowest even thought that bike was hinged in the middle. But then I regained my senses and bought the VTR.
I would have another Beemer if money wasn't an object but will always keep the Firestorm.

mikstr 04-27-2011 06:09 AM

I would own every Bimmer ever built before I would even get close to owning a HOG. Harley owners are, in my experience, the real douchebags..... arrogant, self-absorbed, chrome-addicted superficial twits (not all, but most)........

Tweety 04-27-2011 06:20 AM

mikstr... I own a Harley... ;)

It's however oldschool... And I need to safetywire anything on it that i need to keep on there more than a minute...

Does that make me a douchebag?

mikstr 04-27-2011 06:33 AM

No Markus, the douchebag contingent (notice I said most, not all) would never dream of owning anything but a Harley. That would be akin to treason/sacrilege for them...... I know a few decent Hog owners, but most (around here anyhow) are just a bunch of identity-crisis afflicted Baby Boomer posers.....

Tweety 04-27-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 300572)
No Markus, the douchebag contingent (notice I said most, not all) would never dream of owning anything but a Harley. That would be akin to treason/sacrilege for them...... I know a few decent Hog owners, but most (around here anyhow) are just a bunch of identity-crisis afflicted Baby Boomer posers.....

No worries... I'm pretty sure you knew I was janking your chain... ;)

lukenukem47 04-27-2011 08:08 AM

You guys are killing me lol. My girl friends brother sold me my red bike and got a HD. Yes he has asked for it back and I keep saying "nope".

fred 04-29-2011 08:28 PM

i wouldn't complain if BMW forced me to accept an S1000RR. and i'd happily wear an Aerostitch full body suit if that was one of the contingencies for accepting.

back to the real world, though, my wife wants to go 2-up touring with me at the helm (not sure what she's thinking). i'm gonna start looking for a bmr in the fall. there's room in the garage. i don't think the Hondas would mind, would they?

--fred