SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   How much header wrap?? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/how-much-header-wrap-15517/)

SLSblackhawk 07-22-2008 10:18 AM

How much header wrap??

I think I'll try the header wrap on the stock pipe back to where my slip-ons start.

What size wrap should I get? I though about the 2" wide black but how long will I need to do the job. 50' to play it safe?

Also, I heard the trick of putting it on wet. Claims it makes it tighter once it dries. Can anyone confirm this technique?

Thanks

SLSblackhawk 07-22-2008 10:23 AM

Ahhh, Nevermind search gods answered my questions:evillaugh:

drew_c14 07-22-2008 11:05 AM

50' is good, wet is good too.

SLSblackhawk 07-22-2008 11:50 AM

Thanks man, I found a good thread that concured it too.

Picking up some black 1" x 50' Therma-tec tomorrow. :D

I guess the 1" conforms the the bends nicer than the 2"...

Scott Bessel 07-22-2008 04:40 PM

Can you post the link to that thread? I am also interested...

nnjhawk02 07-22-2008 06:10 PM

Theres a place outside of Philly that sells it

http://www.jscspeed.com/universal/th...FQikHgodcj3IQQ

Couple of questions

do you have to take the headers off to install?

Anto 07-22-2008 10:30 PM

I don't think you have to, but for ease of installation you might want to. I'm planning to wrap mine, attached to bike.

SLSblackhawk 07-23-2008 10:08 AM

Use the link: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...t=eXHAUST+WRAP

Thumper 07-23-2008 10:13 AM

Take the exhaust off, much easier to get it really tight and heck of alot easier to wrap.

Install it soaking wet and pull it as tight as you can.

Wrap fron the back to the front so as to get the overlaps in the correct direction and keep stuff from grabbing the overlaps fron the front direction.

SLSblackhawk 07-23-2008 10:15 AM

Got some black therma-tec 1"x50' header wrap sitting at the local napa for $40. Rated to 2k degrees and cheaper than SUMMITS delivered price. Took exhaust off last night and will wrap in the next few days when things slow down ...:mad:

After 9 years of this bike, I still love it but I'm wanting some new looks without investing more crazy money.. Got some other little goodies to install but I dont want to make my other bikes too jeolous!

SLSblackhawk 07-23-2008 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 172970)
Take the exhaust off, much easier to get it really tight and heck of alot easier to wrap.

Install it soaking wet and pull it as tight as you can.

Wrap fron the back to the front so as to get the overlaps in the correct direction and keep stuff from grabbing the overlaps fron the front direction.

Thanks, will do!

Wolverine 07-28-2008 05:48 PM

I'd love to see some pics after installation.

filter69 07-28-2008 06:10 PM

Is this for heat sheilding only? i have read somewhere that it causes the ex gases to flow more freely in the system ands better scavaging the comb chamber due to incresed flow from hotter ex gases thoughout the system. Can anyone verify this or disprove im thinking or wrapping my headers and all if i can get a performance gain or crisper sound out of it.
i dont have a lower to protect...

SLSblackhawk 07-29-2008 08:23 AM

Well, a few days ago I did the exhaust wrap. Turned out real nice and uniform but I wish I had 1 more foot of wrap as I was running a little short. If I do it again I will buy a 1"x50' pack for the main pipe and then a 1'x10' pack for the short rear cyl pipe.

I submerged the roll of blk wrap in water for a little over an hour before I started. On install, I pulled it as tight as I could and used SS safety wire and pliers at certain points for retaining its position. Definatly start at rear and work towards the exhaust port flanges.

After installation, I started the bike and noticed a slightly lower less metalic sound. Its a faint difference but noticeable. I let it run just until the heat started to smoke/evaporate the remaining trapped water in the wrap. For the last 2 days I did this to help dry the wrap completely. I havent rode it due to being in the middle of installing new rubber and a few other items. Its all dry but Its still gonna smoke for a while until its burned in. I suspect as long as the first 50+ miles are at highway speed, the wrap smokeing shouldnt be an issue. It was pretty stinky and smokey in the garage for only letting it idle for a mintue last night..

The wrap is extremely tight which is a good thing thanks to the water treatment. The black wrap was also a messy install when wet. I wore latex gloves to expidite cleanup as the coloring is like a graphite material and get pretty messy.

I'd post picture but I'm not that savy. Guess I need to open a photo bucket account or something?

Well, I hope this post helps anyone thinking about doing this. Now I just need to get her out and see if the jetting needs tweaked. I doubt it will though.. well see.

Oh, it looks tough too :cool:

Anto 07-29-2008 10:30 AM

I want some to cover up some nasty rust spots in my pipes.

Makes the bike much cleaner as well

drew_c14 07-29-2008 01:11 PM

It's going to smoke and stink for a while, 50 miles is a good guess. And it will do it again when you ride in the rain, just not as bad.

PJay 07-29-2008 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by filter69 (Post 173776)
Is this for heat sheilding only? i have read somewhere that it causes the ex gases to flow more freely in the system ands better scavaging the comb chamber due to incresed flow from hotter ex gases thoughout the system. Can anyone verify this or disprove im thinking or wrapping my headers and all if i can get a performance gain or crisper sound out of it.
i dont have a lower to protect...

The original reason is indeed for performance. You keep the gases hotter for longer, which as you say keeps flow faster and means that you can tune pipes more exactly for each cylinder. On the later TZ750 Yamahas, the #1 expansion chambers follow a course up and over the gearbox, are shorter than the other 3, and usually are wrapped in tape for this reason. It is only a side effect that the tape helps keep the LH side of the fairing from frying.

filter69 07-29-2008 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by PJay (Post 174003)
The original reason is indeed for performance. You keep the gases hotter for longer, which as you say keeps flow faster and means that you can tune pipes more exactly for each cylinder. On the later TZ750 Yamahas, the #1 expansion chambers follow a course up and over the gearbox, are shorter than the other 3, and usually are wrapped in tape for this reason. It is only a side effect that the tape helps keep the LH side of the fairing from frying.

Looks like Im gonna be a MAd RAPPER :)