SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   How to install a fork brace. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/how-install-fork-brace-23314/)

8541Hawk 07-28-2010 12:04 PM

How to install a fork brace.

As there is the possibility of a few of you doing this mod in the near future, I though it would be a good time to cover the proper way to install a brace and the down falls of doing it wrong.....

The common train of thought is to just slap the brace on and go. While this might work some or even most of the time, there is the potential of the brace causing the forks to stick or bind. I really shouldn't have to explain why this is a bad thing.

In order to do it right, there is a few steps and a little work involved but the pay off is well worth the effort. So let's get to it.

1) Put the bike on a set of stands or support the front end off the ground.

2) Remove the front wheel

3) Reinstall the axle. It should slide easily into both forks. If you have to fight it in any way, there is a good chance that the forks are misaligned and you might need to loosen the triple clamp on one side and move the fork up or down a little until the axle can easily slide in.

4) Remove the front axle.

5) Write down your pre-load and rebound damping settings and then turn both of them all the way out.

6) Remove the fork caps and pull the springs. If you are running progressive springs, take note of which end has the tighter coils, so you can reinstall them the same way.

7) Install the front axle and then mount the fork brace.

8) Grab the front axle and slowly (to not shoot oil out of the top of the forks) cycle the forks through their full travel. You are checking for any binding or sticking. If they are nice and smooth, go to step #9. if you feel any tight spots, remove the brace and reinstall it. Then repeat the steps to make sure the forks can go through their complete travel with no sticking.

9) Reinstall the fork springs and caps and return the pre-load and rebound damping to the settings you have recorded (this will be your new starting point as you will need to readjust this a bit as the front end will now, in most cases, be a little to stiff and have a little too much damping) On my set up I ended up taking 1 turn out of the pre-load and 1\2 a turn out of the rebound damping after installing the brace but YMMV.

10) Reinstall the rest of the bits and go out and enjoy a much more planted front end and improved braking from you new set up.

nath981 07-29-2010 07:32 AM

good advice. I had to learn this after the fact when i installed one on my dual sport. Left fork was sticking badly just based on overtightened left side, and it was not really that tight. The funny thing is i never figured this out for months later when i was changing out the fork oil to improve fork feel. When I fully compressed the forks to exhaust the oil, the left one hung up. And then i finally thought about the brace. Soon as I losened the bolt, only about one turn, the stuck fork released immediately. Scared the shit out of me cause I wasn't expecting it to happen that suddenly. What a dumbasss!

Seems like a lot of work just to install a fork brace, but you're right about the procedure. Good write up.

Seattle_SuperHawk 07-29-2010 07:45 AM

Nice write up. Now all i need is a fork brace :)

motojoe 07-30-2010 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Seattle_SuperHawk (Post 275852)
Now all i need is a fork brace :)

Is there a Doctor in the house? (Dr.Honda)

RWhisen 07-30-2010 06:19 AM

Thanks for the write up. Now all we need are fork braces.......

Dr Honda 08-02-2010 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by motojoe (Post 276007)
Is there a Doctor in the house? (Dr.Honda)

Some one call?? (check the other thread in a few)

JamieDaugherty 08-04-2010 06:40 PM

Something that might help: you do not need to remove the springs. Just unscrew the fork caps but other keep everything assembled. This will allow the forks to slide up and down unrestricted.

Fork braces causing binding is a fairly common problem, thanks for drawing some attention to it!

8541Hawk 12-04-2012 10:19 AM

Might be time to bump this thread for some of the new members ;)

20_rc51_00 08-21-2014 09:31 PM

Ya I know I'm raising the dead but...

can the coerce brace not just be put on without needing to pull the axle etc. From the pics it looks like the hoops can come totally apart so that it can all be buttoned up without taking things apart?

superbeater 08-22-2014 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by 20_rc51_00 (Post 377345)
Ya I know I'm raising the dead but...

can the coerce brace not just be put on without needing to pull the axle etc. From the pics it looks like the hoops can come totally apart so that it can all be buttoned up without taking things apart?

You are missing the point. You can put the brace on without following the posted instructions. You run the risk of a binding or sticking fork leg. The choice is yours. Check that the suspension is working correctly or just hope you got lucky. Like Hawk said, most of the time it works just fine.

20_rc51_00 08-29-2014 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by superbeater (Post 377377)
You are missing the point. You can put the brace on without following the posted instructions. You run the risk of a binding or sticking fork leg. The choice is yours. Check that the suspension is working correctly or just hope you got lucky. Like Hawk said, most of the time it works just fine.

right, it's almost the same idea as tightening up triples/asymmetrically mounting top/bottom/left/right

Just wasn't clear if this was directed that particular type over another.

thanks.

mikenap 01-23-2015 10:23 AM

I know this thread is kinda old. But wanted to say thanks.
I just got a Coerce brace. Their were no instructions (I think everything was in Japanese)...so I was just going to slap it on.

I will follow the method above...just wondering if anyone received English instructions with their Coerce part. Did it say to remove the fork caps??