SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Higher Bars (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/higher-bars-27245/)

zxbud 12-22-2011 05:46 PM

Higher Bars

I've been wanting to replace the low bars on the 'hawk and also change out the brake and clutch master cylinders to match the ones on the 2005 model. I see a bar setup here which looks like it will do the "trick" and it's low priced, too. But what about the MC cyliners? What would you look for? I hate the stock reservoirs.

Adjustable Billet Clip On Ons Handlebar 41mm Black HD9 | eBay

inderocker 12-22-2011 07:32 PM

I'd stay away from the Danmoto bars. They're about as flimsy as they come. Tying down a bike in the back of a truck/trailer via the Danmoto bars.... fuhgeddaboudit.

GlockPointer 12-22-2011 07:59 PM

I have the Helibars and LOVE them. I think the do the most within the factory space. They also say not to tie down with them, and thats from the factory. I would have tried the DanMotos if I had seen them before I popped for a set of used Helibars but I might worry that one of the many adjustments might get loose and kill you. I imagine that with the DanMotos you could only get as good positioning as the Helibars.
I have risked my life for much less than 110$

102dals 12-22-2011 10:08 PM

Inde has the 2005 style setup, and knows about adapting parts from other bikes....he salvages them.
VFR bars are the way to go for higher bars, unless you must have adjustabiity. They look factory, and are sturdy. Check Ebay or the VFR lists for the best pricing.

theosagekid 01-12-2012 10:00 PM

don't get the Gen-Mar riser kit.
I have it, it sucks for fairing clearance on your master cylinders and doesn't provide any real improvement in comfort.

Seattle_SuperHawk 02-09-2012 10:52 AM

^^^^ VFR bars worked GREAT for me ^^^^^^

slabm7 02-18-2012 06:18 AM

I put superbike bars on mine about 6000 miles ago. I just drilled into the top triple and mounted the risers. I did put rubber washers between the risers and triple to absorb some vibration and also used as large of a steel washer on the back side that I could fit. I check my triple for cracks and fractures quite frequently and have never seen anything. Its a great comfort mod.

Upland111 02-18-2012 09:45 AM

I have the 05' model w/ Heli bars. The Heli's are not that much taller than stock, IMHO, but they do have a slightly better angle. Bar comfort really varies by individual size and preferance of riding style.
When I have the coin, this is what I am going to try...

3 Inch Apex Riser Clip-On - Apex Manufacturing

Although they most likely will require longer brake lines at a minimum. Be aware that the perch is integral to the brake and clutch master cylinder on the 05'. I tried another multi-adjustable italian made (cannot remember the name right now) set of clip-ons and ended up returning them because of interferance problems.
I think some others have purchased the Apex clip-ons and I would love to hear what they think of them?
Good luck w/ your search.

rz_racer_69 02-18-2012 02:38 PM

As said, bar comfort is different from person to person. I bought a '98 with the Heli bars already installed, and I find them to be fantastically comfortable. The clearance issue mentioned doesn't seem to be a problem on my bike, but they do just touch the fairings at full lock.