SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Handlebar swap done (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/handlebar-swap-done-34053/)

mikstr 07-09-2016 03:37 PM

Handlebar swap done

With the bike finally sorted (mechanically; HDJ carbs et al) and running better than I had ever hoped for, the last thing I was hoping to fix was what I felt was an overly high vibration level in the bars (not excessive, but worse than it should be IMO). So with this in mind, I ordered a custom top triple from Cognito Moto (see pic below; had holes machined out to 50mm to fit my forks, and had them machine the handlebar clamps too). I then ordered an Ultra-Low Rental handlebar (in red, to match some of the red accents found on the bike). I had ordered a Bar Snake (to reduce vibes) only to find the bars have some kind of polymer insert in them (oh well). I had to trim the fairing ever-so-slightly, relocate the ignition switch (used lower speedo mount) and all is done. So, the riding position is now slightly more upright and further back.

Assuming this works out as hoped, I think the bike is done... :) Will post pics later (coming days), it's been raining all day here....

P.S. I tried to vinyl-wrap the forks (black) but ran out of patience, so that will be to do eventually.....

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...G?v=1467811185

VTR1000F 07-09-2016 05:41 PM

Done.

I smell a bet.

Aquasnake 07-09-2016 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 397390)
Assuming this works out as hoped, I think the bike is done... :)

:crackup:

mikstr 07-10-2016 08:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics below.

I went for a short ride last evening and was pleasantly surprised by the change. First of all, vibration has been cut by about 70% (mission accomplished). The bike no longer feels semi-frantic at cruising speed (@ 120 km/h) but instead feels as though it's loafing along (until you give the throttle a twist, he he). On the riding position dimension, the Ultra-Lows (which I cut down by 10mm per side, making them the same width as the previous clip-ons) are only about 1.5" back and 1.5" up (at the ends, mostly due to the backward sweep, the pre-sweep portion being almost the same; remember I was running Apex 4" risers previously). It has given the bike an entirely more leisurely feel, which is great for me as it's a for street use anyhow. Hope to get another ride in today (if Mum Nature doesn't open up the skies again).

Attachment 21479
Attachment 21480

finepooch 07-10-2016 11:47 AM

as the years click by i find my decrepit self pondering a higher handlebar as opposed to the oem clip ons

xeris 07-24-2016 02:16 PM

With the new bars would it have been necessary to trim the faring?

Wolverine 07-24-2016 04:21 PM

Looks awesome. I'd love to ride a Hawk with this mod and see how much I like it.

mikstr 07-24-2016 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 397630)
Looks awesome. I'd love to ride a Hawk with this mod and see how much I like it.

Suffice to say after having spent 5 days astride my VTR last week (a mini bike vacation), I suspect you'd go down the same path... I am totally happy with the change

CrankenFine 07-26-2016 11:51 AM

Spiegler makes a nice conversion kit that does all this but $$$! Your version came out really well, looks comfy. (I may go the Spiegler route just for the plug and play convenience as I am less ambitious.)

bird-rider 07-27-2016 08:35 PM

Nice clean swap. it really gave me some idea how to do it will order some stuff from 4 wheel online and hopefully have it soon. Thanks for sharing.

xeris 07-28-2016 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by bird-rider (Post 397692)
Nice clean swap. it really gave me some idea how to do it will order some stuff from 4 wheel online and hopefully have it soon. Thanks for sharing.

Huh?

Jack Flash 07-29-2016 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=xeris;397622]With the new bars would it have been necessary to trim the faring?[/QUOTE

Yes he did. But just the little ear lobe.