SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   had my vtr for about 5 months now (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/had-my-vtr-about-5-months-now-23601/)

havoc7685 08-26-2010 02:53 AM

had my vtr for about 5 months now

please read to the botom i swear by the end of this there is a point lol.

so i just found this forum looking for help with my bike an joined site. (ps i dont know crap about motorcycles had a katane750 for almost 9months an sold it an bought my vtr1000 i might not know much mechanicaly but i can ride the shit outa that bike with the best of them if that scores me anypoints lmfao fearless an wreckless not skill btw lol anyway)
i was looking threw the threads for sprocket help an found some usefull stuff but hears my issue i just bought an installed a regina chain an sprocket kit 16/40 an im so unhappy with it. im topping out at like 125 130 an the climb from 90 to 125 is a very long slow one. with set that was on it wen i bought the bike 15/43 i believe. i was hitting 175 180 an it didnt really take that long at all i also changed spark plugs to those irdium plugs an usen that 5w30 sport bike oil thats like frickn ten bucks a qrt.
nxt right after i bought the bike i lost my job house blah blah blah an rode around on bad chain sprockets for way way too long so i was babying it every were i went cuz i didnt have a choice it was take the bike go look for a job or starve.
but now obviously working an throwing lil money around itno my bike she deserves it
so the entire point of all this is that why did i lose so much top end an accel/tourque did losen 3teeth really do that much? did i f" it up riden around on bad chain sprockets for so long? iridium plugs=bad? lol idk i need some help please

runrowdy 08-26-2010 06:03 AM

Nominated for best first post ever.

Little_Horse 08-26-2010 07:27 AM

Running a stiffer gear then stock is not going to help a bike that already has too stiff of gearing. It also could, depending on how far off your speedo is off, it may show that you are going slower then you really are. Most stock setups show faster then you really are. An indicated 170 is actually more like 150 with stock gears. My guess is with the 16/40 setup 130 indicated might actually be a little more although the reason for bad acceleration could have to do with where you are in the power for a given gear. The hawk might actually have trouble pushing even fifth gear with a 16/40. Go put on a 16/43 (or a 15/41 if you already ave a new chain and sprockets because all you have to buy is the front sprocket and you don't have to change the chain). No need to spend $10 a quart on oil either, but there are a billion threads about that.

evines 08-26-2010 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by runrowdy (Post 279167)

+1. Awesome.

I almost started typing a response to the questions, but why bother? I don't want to ruin it.

havoc7685 08-26-2010 08:16 AM

Thanx for the help cornandp. Ya so I cldnt just put the old 43 on without haven to get a longer chain cuz it would b to tight or not fit at all? I let the who helped me put it together order the kit an they had top end, mid range, an accel, he thought the mid would b best of both worlds so I said sure why not figured there wasn't that big a diff but suppose I was way wrong. Thanx again for the help man you probly just saved me a big pissy temper tantrum wen I couldn't have gotten that chain on lol

8541Hawk 08-26-2010 08:49 AM

:iagree:So many things to comment on...... :rotf:

mortbike 08-26-2010 08:51 AM

chain length

Hi-I am running 16-43 with the stock 102 link chain length-no problem-If that helps you any-Mort

havoc7685 08-26-2010 09:04 AM

Thanx bro. It helps I'll have to see how many my links my chain is an mayb it will work guess I'll just have to try it an c.

saige 08-26-2010 09:15 AM

:rotf:lol great first post,this site will give you knowledge and the courage to rip that bike apart.welcome to the forum.

havoc7685 08-26-2010 09:23 AM

Thanx man. I'm really hopen to learn how to get in there an do my own work an learn more about bikes. So guess this was my first hands on lesson research b4 I go well that sounds good why not lol. An didn't realize how amussed ppl would b wen I wrotte that first post guess my erraticness pays off again

RWhisen 08-26-2010 09:45 AM

Wow.....just wow, that was painful to read. Anyway like everyone said, you need to go up in teeth on the rear sprocket.

havoc7685 08-26-2010 10:04 AM

Um........thanx I think :/ lol. I'm gonna try my old rear sprocket tomorrow cuz the rear wasn't in to bad of shape but the front was just totaly destroyed. An if that works see if they'll let me exchange just the rear. But who knows how long an if they'll let me I ordered it on-line an for wat ever reason the shit had to come from itialy idfk so chances are I'll just eat the cost an go buy a new one. Anyone know if its bad to use two differnt metals or dsnt matter at all. Just didn't know if the stress from one would b to much on the other. I'd b usen titanium front sprocket an watever cheap 43 I can pick up

RWhisen 08-26-2010 10:31 AM

If your front sprocket is in that bad of shape, chances are you may be due for a chain swap as well if you haven't done it already. You'll not want to skimp on chains and sprockets, they make everything go so get the best you can.

havoc7685 08-26-2010 10:36 AM

Well that's wat I had done. From wat I understood regina is the best of the best professinal racen grade stuff the both sprockets an chain are all titanium at the moment but didn't wanna spend that kinda money again for a 2nd sprocket but your right I shld just get another its all got a life time replacment warrenty mayb I'll just break them an b like hay while your at sending me new ones just up the teeth lol

CascadeRider 08-26-2010 10:58 AM

Late to the party, but I'll bite:

Originally Posted by evines (Post 279176)
+1. Awesome.

I almost started typing a response to the questions, but why bother? I don't want to ruin it.

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 279181)
:iagree:So many things to comment on...... :rotf:

Originally Posted by RWhisen (Post 279191)
Wow.....just wow, that was painful to read. Anyway like everyone said, you need to go up in teeth on the rear sprocket.

Originally Posted by havoc7685 (Post 279195)
Um........thanx I think :/ lol.

:rotf:

Welcome, Havoc! As stated somewhere in this thread, you couldn't have come to a better forum!

havoc7685 08-26-2010 11:10 AM

Can't say I'm not happy to have found it. Already got the sprocket info I need. So onto other things I guess like how about spark plugs. Worth goin all out like I did or dose that matter? Wat are you guys usen?

thetophatflash 08-26-2010 01:23 PM

Titanium chain?

havoc7685 08-26-2010 02:04 PM

Idk its suppose to b a t1a kit so I just assumed all the lil parts that make up the chain were made of that stuff except the plateing on the outside like I said at the begining idk much of anything about this stuff I'm tryn to learn sorry if that's an error I'll check it out again an correct myself if I'm wrong lol