SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   GSXR Front end with VTR Front Wheel (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/gsxr-front-end-vtr-front-wheel-33204/)

superman22x 05-17-2015 03:45 PM

GSXR Front end with VTR Front Wheel

1 Attachment(s)
I had just typed all this up, and lost it, so here goes again.

I saw in one of the USD threads that someone mentioned they saw a GSXR1000 swap done that used the stock VTR front wheel. GSXR forks and all are cheap, but a pair of rotors and a wheel, seems to be about $300 on ebay, so this could cut out a significant portion of the cost. Adds some complexity, but not terrible. My main reference for GSXR info is:
GSXR Fork Information / Permutations - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums
And a more completed chart:
http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/co...tails.jpg.html

I also have a buddy with an 06 GSXR750, so he can grab any additional measurements for me.

So I created an excel sheet with critical dimensions, I stuck with the GSXR that had 298mm rotors, years listed on the document. This is the first year of the radial brakes as far as I know:

Attachment 22035

Mounting would be stock GSXR triples, like Erik S. did. I can add part numbers into this Excel file to keep it all organized after I get the wheel figured out.

So the big difference is the axle diameters. 25mm for the GSXR, and 20mm for the VTR. Which leaves two options, and depending on your connections, one might be easier/cheaper than the other.
Option 1: Use the VTR axle and make a spacer to expand it to the GSXR fork clamp diameters.
Option 2: Use the GSXR axle with a different set of bearings. Part number listed in the excel document. This seems easier than the first option, even with the access to lathes/mills that I have.

The other difference is the rotor spacing. McMaster has 1mm shims that would be easy to use to space the calipers perfectly.

And finally, custom spacers would be needed, but I don't think this would be a huge issue. Can probably buy some aluminum stock on McMaster or Speedy Metals that would work. This might be easier with the GSXR axle as well, since 25mm is nearly 1inch, so a 1inch OD piece of aluminum should have a close enough tolerance.

Am I missing something totally, or does this info seem complete?

scottiemann 05-17-2015 04:18 PM

personally if I were you I would use the gixxer axel with those specific set of bearings. Second, if you have access to a machine shop, do this dang thing lol...

Not having access to lathes and milles is usually what deters people from tackling projects that arent a straight bolt on, but for the people that do have access, skys the limit man

superman22x 05-17-2015 04:48 PM

I'm still pricing it out, and seeing where my funding is at now, ha. But this definitely decreases the price a bit. The lathe would be helpful for the wheel spacers, but I wanted to try and make this as easy to replicate for anyone in their garage too.

For the spacers, looks like there is nothing with a 25mm ID, but like I mentioned, a 1" OD is only 0.4mm (0.0157") larger than the axle. And for spacers, that tolerance should be fine.

Speedy Metals 1-3/4" OD x 1.000" ID x .375" Wall 6061 Aluminum Round Tube

thedeatons 05-17-2015 05:48 PM

I personally have a different opinion about the axle... I think you should use the Honda axle.

Why? Less custom non-Honda parts.

Think long term: two years from now you wanna replace bearings in the front wheel. Going with the Honda axle allows you to simply go to the Honda shop and buy bearings/seals for your VTR.

This would also easily allow you to use the VTR front wheel, or a CBR600F3 6-spoke wheel if you were converting the rear wheel to a CBR900RR rear wheel, so they would match.

This also allows you to use VTR rotors, or much larger CBR1100XX Blackbird rotors.

I prefer less custom parts.

Is it a bit more work to get the Honda axle to fit? Yes, but not much.

Just cut the ends off the Suzuki axle (the left & right parts that the forks clamps onto) take the stock Suzuki axle to a machine shop, leave the outer diameter alone, and have them core the center out so it slides over the VTR axle. Perfect spacers, quick and easy.

James

superman22x 05-17-2015 06:38 PM

My main concern with making sleeves for the VTR axle was being able to clamp the axle in the forks. So my idea was to either make a sleeve that was split to clamp on the axle. Similar to this. Not sure how well it would work.
My other idea was an aluminum spacer that was ~0.001" smaller than the axle. This could be heated in a conventional oven to around 400* and it would slide right on the axle. Once it cooled down, it would be plenty tight. And no press needed.

Either way, a bit more complex than the other option, but does have its advantages. With the bigger calipers, you could also upgrade to the R1 monobloc calipers or something better as well.
The 6905 bearings should be relatively easy to get a hold of.
6905UU Sealed Ball Bearing 25x42x9 6900-Series-Ball-Bearings
VXB makes decent bearings.

It actually looks like the 6905UU is the stock wheel bearing in the Honda NRX1800. So it should be available at a dealer even. Just have to remember it's the 6905, and not the stock bearing.

If anyone does want to try this swap before I get to it, I can probably make some of the spacers you might need on the lathe at work. Would only take a few minutes I think.

superman22x 05-17-2015 06:39 PM

If Erik S. stops in, I'm curious if you got a chance to try the 929 clip ons with the GSXR triples, and if they clear the fairings? Woodcrafts would be my next option, but they are a bit pricey...

1971allchaos 05-18-2015 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
did the search 6905UU, converts to Honda

superman22x 05-24-2015 01:35 PM

Another quick update with info on the steering head bearings.
The upper bearing that currently needs to be ordered from AllBalls, is a standard off-the-shelf bearing as well. Although, I have not yet found a good source. There are two options, a standard ball bearing one, that is the stock style.
Part number 6906
And then for the tapered roller bearing style that AllBalls likes to use:

This is the standard cross reference part number. I'm still trying to find a good source though.
Since I haven't seen it listed here either, here is the AllBalls part number, 99-3540-5.