SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   great deal on bridgestone bt-16 (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/great-deal-bridgestone-bt-16-a-26421/)

Bearshawk 08-20-2011 09:54 PM

great deal on bridgestone bt-16

just ordered a set of new bt016's from chaparral racing and got the set for 188.88 shipped not too shabby! free two day shipping with the order

after reading a bunch of posts on tires i figured these were a good choice for pretty aggressive riding mixed with a little commuting... my sportmax's finally gave out after about 13k and every day driving on a straight highway...50 miles...the center was depressing

intoxxx 09-06-2011 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bearshawk (Post 312135)
just ordered a set of new bt016's from chaparral racing and got the set for 188.88 shipped not too shabby! free two day shipping with the order

after reading a bunch of posts on tires i figured these were a good choice for pretty aggressive riding mixed with a little commuting... my sportmax's finally gave out after about 13k and every day driving on a straight highway...50 miles...the center was depressing

just had the same rubber put on.. by a local shop, the only hypersport the guy stocks now. he charged $200 cash installed \m/

JamieDaugherty 09-06-2011 05:20 PM

I think you'll find those to require a lot more heat before they work well. I prefer the Qualifiers or Q2's for the street as they stick from get-go (that's Midwestern speak for right awaty). I've run the BT016's on the track on my 1098. I actually did not like them (hate is a better word) before that day. Once I got them hot they performed terrific.

BTW - Michelin tires are similar with needing to get a lot of heat driven into them. The Michelins have another problem and that is they have a really stiff carcass. That makes them twitchy and difficult to tune your suspension to. The BT's seem ok in that category so you shouldn't have a problem.

intoxxx 09-06-2011 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty (Post 313393)
I think you'll find those to require a lot more heat before they work well. I prefer the Qualifiers or Q2's for the street as they stick from get-go (that's Midwestern speak for right awaty).

here in the deep south, heat is not an issue.. a working a/c too cool off is!

bass4dude 09-06-2011 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty (Post 313393)
I think you'll find those to require a lot more heat before they work well. I prefer the Qualifiers or Q2's for the street as they stick from get-go (that's Midwestern speak for right awaty). I've run the BT016's on the track on my 1098. I actually did not like them (hate is a better word) before that day. Once I got them hot they performed terrific.

BTW - Michelin tires are similar with needing to get a lot of heat driven into them. The Michelins have another problem and that is they have a really stiff carcass. That makes them twitchy and difficult to tune your suspension to. The BT's seem ok in that category so you shouldn't have a problem.

I found the exact opposite on my Q2s, no matter what I did, I couldn't get them to warm up properly and they would slip on me under very light acceleration and decel.

Most notably at 17:00 at about 82f. after about 35 min of moderate riding, the rear slid out on me in a about 20 degree lean turn. Tires were warm and I did manage to get the bike under control but I've never had a problem with my p.p 2cts.

Maybe it was a bad batch, they were about 4k deep, but still....

I found that if you drop the pressures a little bit the Michs they come up perfectly and I've yet to get even a little walk on the tires (outside of going over a patch of oil in a very slight lean)

All in all, I think it's all about personal preference. I love my Michilins and I wouldn't trade them for anything =)

Try a few brands out and figure out what the benefits and strong points of any particular tires are and whichever suits your riding style is the ones you should go with (duh).

nath981 09-06-2011 07:17 PM

from what i read of the Q2s, they are sticky for the first half of their life. I didn't notice this so much with my set, possibly because i was running below 28-30psi. For the money, you can have some fun with them for a while, then get a new set. My Power Pures also got slippery after a while, but i still was able to get 4400 miles out of them.

I don't know if the pirelli diablo rosso II or corsas would be any better than the Q2s or not. There's so much info, it's hard to discern.