Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

99mm of goodness

Old 03-18-2018, 06:14 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
99mm of goodness

My turn to get a box in the mail...

Inside, was a shiny pair of new, custom 99mm JE pistons (with moly skirt coating).

Why 99mm? I am currently running 0.5mm over and when this bore wears out (hopefully some years on), the 99s will be going in (giving me a slight boost to 1016 cc). I am having the cylinders inspected shortly (is burning oil since my crank-induced rebuild two years ago, when I had it put back together without having the jugs honed and new rings put in - moral of the story: do it right the first time, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr). So depending on the condition of the cylinders, it will either get new rings only (will have the tech give a good going-over at the same time: new valve seals, refresh the valve seats, check the guides, ...) or, if the bores are bad, new pistons and all. Either way, I am looking forward to having an engine that doesn't burn oil (runs great otherwise but can't stand it burning oil). Hopefully it'll only need rings this time around, which would allow me to keep the slugs for a few years down the road...

cheers
Old 03-19-2018, 04:53 AM
Back Marker

Bald Eagle is on a distinguished road
Hey Mikstr
You sound like I did a few weeks ago. Are you doing the work yourself ? If so the "C" clips that retain the Piston Pin is a real...female dog.....to put it lightly. I am in the process of calling JE pistons, to find out if you can use the Honda retaining clip instead of their ....garbage clips. I went on line to see if it was just me being old and cantankerous...but no ...this seems like a real issue with these clips. Again, if you are having someone else doing this job, I am sure they will be having the same problem no matter how experienced they are. I have pleaded with Roger Ditchfield to give me his input on this matter, as I believe he has used these pistons in the past. If you look at my post "JE pistons...or not.." there is more details of what I found when using these clips.
Just FYI......good luck.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:59 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
am paying someone else to be frustrated; am not equipped to do it myself
Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle
Hey Mikstr
You sound like I did a few weeks ago. Are you doing the work yourself ? If so the "C" clips that retain the Piston Pin is a real...female dog.....to put it lightly. I am in the process of calling JE pistons, to find out if you can use the Honda retaining clip instead of their ....garbage clips. I went on line to see if it was just me being old and cantankerous...but no ...this seems like a real issue with these clips. Again, if you are having someone else doing this job, I am sure they will be having the same problem no matter how experienced they are. I have pleaded with Roger Ditchfield to give me his input on this matter, as I believe he has used these pistons in the past. If you look at my post "JE pistons...or not.." there is more details of what I found when using these clips.
Just FYI......good luck.
JE piston pin rings are a treat to work with..... I've made a few custom tools from Derlin and another from acrylic to aid in getting them compressed and in place.... they help, but I'll not be patenting them and selling on the open market anytime soon.

I went to purchase this tool BUX Tools - C-Clipper, Wrist Pin Clip Installer - Product Catalog for the motor I most commonly build the Suzuki DRZ400 single but they do not make a tool for this piston yet.
If the make it for the VTR, it would be worth its weight in gold, as the tool does work well, having used it on a different build.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:42 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
JE piston pin rings are a treat to work with..... I've made a few custom tools from Derlin and another from acrylic to aid in getting them compressed and in place.... they help, but I'll not be patenting them and selling on the open market anytime soon.

I went to purchase this tool BUX Tools - C-Clipper, Wrist Pin Clip Installer - Product Catalog for the motor I most commonly build the Suzuki DRZ400 single but they do not make a tool for this piston yet.
If the make it for the VTR, it would be worth its weight in gold, as the tool does work well, having used it on a different build.
I am assuming that this was sarcasm..... "are a treat to work with" ...when you have to go out of your way to fabricate a tool so that you can install them....for how many times? The Honda clips are difficult...but doable, with your fingers (to verify I could do it) ....and you try to do the clips with the JE pistons..there is just no comparison of difficulty. I lost that battle with the JE clips....But I will try again. The part I do not get is.... the JE clips are 0.073" and the Honda clips are 0.061. As a performance piston, would you not want less weight at the pin. You are not changing the "Red Line" on the engine and increasing it...mind you...you would want a limiter to stop you going over by mistake with the upgrades. I just do not understand JE's thinking...knowing you are looking at DIY people who will be the main part of your audience and make this such a difficult install. I just hope the people that are doing your work have experience with this clip.
Now..(and I humble myself to) Roger Ditchfield replied back to me on my email...thank god !!....And he assures me that the JE clips will install, but with a fight. You must never use pliers....what me..? This will watermelon the clips and make them useless. (this what happened on my first run, now I am purchasing more clips + backup)..oops.! I called up JE Pistons, and asked if they could show me a video of them installing the clip. I got pictures of how you would do it.. in theory.
Roger did do an explanation on the email, and I will be following that...so please forgive my Rant...and hopefully I will try to video my experience and pass on the forum endeavors....unless my phone get's thrown across the room.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:42 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle
I am assuming that this was sarcasm..... "are a treat to work with" ...when you have to go out of your way to fabricate a tool so that you can install them....for how many times? The Honda clips are difficult...but doable, with your fingers (to verify I could do it) ....and you try to do the clips with the JE pistons..there is just no comparison of difficulty. I lost that battle with the JE clips....But I will try again. The part I do not get is.... the JE clips are 0.073" and the Honda clips are 0.061. As a performance piston, would you not want less weight at the pin. You are not changing the "Red Line" on the engine and increasing it...mind you...you would want a limiter to stop you going over by mistake with the upgrades. I just do not understand JE's thinking...knowing you are looking at DIY people who will be the main part of your audience and make this such a difficult install. I just hope the people that are doing your work have experience with this clip.
Now..(and I humble myself to) Roger Ditchfield replied back to me on my email...thank god !!....And he assures me that the JE clips will install, but with a fight. You must never use pliers....what me..? This will watermelon the clips and make them useless. (this what happened on my first run, now I am purchasing more clips + backup)..oops.! I called up JE Pistons, and asked if they could show me a video of them installing the clip. I got pictures of how you would do it.. in theory.
Roger did do an explanation on the email, and I will be following that...so please forgive my Rant...and hopefully I will try to video my experience and pass on the forum endeavors....unless my phone get's thrown across the room.
Yes it was sarcastic, that did not come through I see.
JE clips are a pain for sure, but they do install.

Why did they choose a thicker wire? Who knows, because they already bought 12.9 miles of it? So that the clip stays in place for the user that DID increase redline or piston speed with a stroker crank....because their R&D showed them that was the wire thickness needed to insure it stays in place on ALL applications they use it in,, not just your VTR1000F.

Yes please no pliers, even if you don't "watermelon " them (I have never used or heard that term used in regards to pin clips, I assume you mean bend or distort them) you will leave nicks in the wire, that is a stress riser and a place fatigue and a fracture can happen.

You are probably the millionth person to ask JE to show a video of them installing their rings in a piston by hand ...and like the rest, you got still photos back... I think they know its a pain, put as its what they feel is the right design, they don't change it.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:49 AM
Back Marker

Yes...Yes...Yes...I have the JE "C" clips installed. I paid more attention to the start position of the C clip and I got the" beggars" in the piston for the front cylinder. Have to wait for the other "C" clips to arrive to get the rear piston completed...and then I can put my half's together. Mikstr, I'm sure the place you take your bike to, understand the difficulties of these clips for the JE pistons. This is a first time for me with these "Jugs".

Search this Thread