SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Good score: EBC contours (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/good-score-ebc-contours-22194/)

mikstr 04-13-2010 12:19 PM

Good score: EBC contours

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up a set of almost new (old style) EBC Contour front rotors for my VTR a few days ago on eBay (for the princely sum of only $160). Of course, one never knows the actual condition until the goods are received but the chap selling them seems honest based on our communication so I expect everything to be as noted in the ad. Will likely bolt these up when I replace my front pads (when HRCs wear out). I will paint the inner webbing flat black prior to installing them, however.

Anyone else running these? If yes, how do you like them and any idea how they compare weight-wise to the OEMs?

cheers

8541Hawk 04-13-2010 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 261711)
I picked up a set of almost new (old style) EBC Contour front rotors for my VTR a few days ago on eBay (for the princely sum of only $160). Of course, one never knows the actual condition until the goods are received but the chap selling them seems honest based on our communication so I expect everything to be as noted in the ad. Will likely bolt these up when I replace my front pads (when HRCs wear out). I will paint the inner webbing flat black prior to installing them, however.

Anyone else running these? If yes, how do you like them and any idea how they compare weight-wise to the OEMs?

cheers

Well I have one in the rear. I went with it as I do use the rear brake quite a bit and the other, lighter rotors didn't look up to the task.

So with that, it is a little lighter than stock (but who knows with the front) it does have good feel and better grip than the stock rotor, so you should be happy with that part. ;)

Moto Man 04-13-2010 02:00 PM

I think EBC make several types of contour discs but the ones I'm running look just like those and are called "prolite" rotors. I did not compare them to the stockers on weight, but they certainly work better than the stockers for power and feel. That's a great deal if they're straight; I paid $175 per disc new, and that was the cheapest I could find em a couple of years ago.

skoshere 04-13-2010 02:10 PM

i like the look of those... simple yet elegant!

residentg 04-13-2010 02:19 PM

I have not done that, but I did install F4i MC and calipers with Galfer SS lines and EBC HH pads - huge improvemrent.

Nice touch on the black paint! Pls post some pics when you can. JB

mikstr 04-13-2010 05:21 PM

Thanks gents. I will be posting pics in the near future (although the rotors above will not be in the pics; instead, there'll be a set of stock rotors I picked up on eBay which have received the flat black webbing treatment, should look good against the red PVMs), my mods are wrapping up (mostly waiting on the newly machined rear sprocket carrier to get back from the anodizer) so the bike will be camera-ready shortly.

uchi 04-13-2010 05:37 PM

good score, i feel like im gonna get another year ot two out of my rotors before theyre finished and im afraid to even price out a set of aftermarkets

mikstr 04-13-2010 05:46 PM

These were not my first choice (would rather have Braketech iron or better yet the ceramic matrix, for example) but the price was right on these.....

mikstr 04-23-2010 05:49 AM

Rotors came in yesterday and are in great shape. I will get around to painting them, cleaning them up a bit then putting them on standby for the HRC pads to wear when I will install them along with new Vesrah RJL pads.

inderocker 04-23-2010 08:19 AM

Who was the seller?

mikstr 04-23-2010 08:25 AM

A chap in Australia, was parting with them as they were mounted to a bike he bought to race (VFR400?) but couldn`t use them in the class he is running (wave rotors not allowed). He said they had two races in them (seem to have very little wear on them, so long as they are straight which he claims they are).