SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Gold valve question (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/gold-valve-question-28643/)

smokinjoe73 06-26-2012 11:16 AM

Gold valve question

So I have the gold valves but how hard are they to install? I have done them on my sv but that was real easy.

Has anyone done em on the vtr and do you need any special tools?

mboe794 06-26-2012 11:27 AM

It's been a while, but the only special tools I remeber using were a specific tiny drill bit and a very small torque wrench. Lucky for me I had access to both of these at work. As long as the whole cartridge assembly doesn't spin when you remove the bottom bolt you wont need the special holder tool. I've had mine apart numorous times and never had a problem. Even then, a guy could come up with something without buying the tool.

comedo 06-26-2012 12:09 PM

+1 to mboe794
You'll need a 1/4" drive torque wrench that will give readings as low as 30 in/lbs. Small diameter drills can be purchased at a hobby shop. A digital vernier caliper is useful for checking shim diameters and thicknesses. If you're doing rebound valves or if, as in my case, the compression valve was held on with a peened nut, a bench grinder is useful too. If not, you'll need a file. A die to clean up the threads helps too. Loctite is easy to find. I preferred to buy a fork seal driver rather than adapt something else.
The job is about as difficult as installing a jet kit. The Race Tech people are helpful if you get stuck.
You could just send your forks to Jamie Daugherty or Hawkrider and get it done right the first time but you'd miss out on the character building aspects of the job.

saige 06-26-2012 12:33 PM

its not very hard at all,as long as you have some of the stuff comedo said,you will be good.
i did it with basic tools.
before you do anything on the forks,the very first thing you need to do is loosen the allen bolt on the bottom of the fork.this will make the job so much easier
you will need a 1.3mm drill bit for the compression valve.
which rebound valve did you order.

smokinjoe73 06-28-2012 07:53 AM

Rebound valve? Uh oh. The case says fmgv 82040

I tried search but what is Jamies user name?

saige 06-28-2012 09:06 AM

do you mean it says fmgv S2040 or fmgv S2040G
I have the fmgv S2040g which is the G2-R valve,very good valve.

if you get a rebound valve,get the FRGV S02 valve,the other one i have is the FRGV SR2001 and it was a pain to get done.it can be a good valve,but since i didnt have the means or time to experiment,i took it out,it was impossible to bleed.
i beleive mine has to be set to its lowest settings.it has no check valve,which means there is a stack on both sides,its high frequency.
so my advice would be on the FRGV SO2,this one has been done a million times,enough info to get it done right the first time.

8541Hawk 06-28-2012 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 336596)
Rebound valve? Uh oh. The case says fmgv 82040

I tried search but what is Jamies user name?

SuperHawk Forum - View Profile: JamieDaugherty

smokinjoe73 06-28-2012 09:20 AM

Ok so yeah saige its s2040 that looks like and 8.