SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Gold Fren Brake Pads (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/gold-fren-brake-pads-12628/)

Chuey 09-10-2007 11:22 AM

Gold Fren Brake Pads

Have any more people reviewed/tried this brand of pads since the last brake pad poll? I'm curious to try them out, but only if I get some more reviews from people who have guinea pigged these brake pads.

Anto 09-10-2007 11:45 AM

HORRIBLE

(from what i've heard)

Googled it a while back, lotta people say it's bad. real bad.

It's not worth the $10~$20 you save.

Hawkrider 09-10-2007 02:14 PM

I did a poll a while back, actually continued from before this forum existed, just was getting more data. One person had these pads and with SS lines and a 929 master cylinder they rated the brakes 8.5 out of 10. That's the only data I have for you.

Chuey 09-10-2007 07:43 PM

Thanks, I really am into esoteric things, like the Hawk. I am hoping someone is going to give the Gold Fren's a nod of approval, but I guess one can't do this with stopping power in the matter of a few pads.

I might just stick with Ferodo or EBC.

Hawkrider 09-10-2007 08:07 PM

You want a good pad then go with EBC HH. There's a reason they are common. It's because they're good. You want a REALLY good pad? Find some Ferodo CP911 pads, part number 466-533. This is the part number Lockhart Phillips has in their catalog.

Hawkrider 09-10-2007 08:10 PM

BTW, I wouldn't call the VTR "esoteric". It has sort of a cult following, much as the old Hawk GT did/does. Benelli, MV Agusta, now those are esoteric.

jamesvtr 09-10-2007 10:01 PM

i have them on my bike i like them they did take some time to brake in though. but now that they are seated stoppies are no prob

Chuey 09-11-2007 11:13 AM

Thanks for the info. I havn't seen too many if any other SH's around NYC. People are such geeks in this town. Someone is more than likely to see an MV Augusta, Benelli, Moto Guzzi or Cagiva in town than a SuperHawk. I'll have to do some more research otherwise I'll stick with the usual pads, EBC or Ferodo.

hawkbill 09-17-2007 06:23 PM

I just bought a set of Galfer carbon pads to go into RC51 calipers I just got off E-Bay. Any first hand opinions of this combination?

Chitownson 09-17-2007 08:44 PM

Go with the EBC brake pads and make sure you get the HH upgraded pads. They are well worth it. Also, If you don't have stainless steel brake lines front and back, do it and flush and bleed the brake lines until the brake cylinder fluid runs clear. (may as well do the clutch while you're at it.) You'll really be glad you spend a little extra time and money as it really wakes up the brakes, ( boat anchors) allows a more confidence and control riding and may save your ass. This is one area I wouldn't skimp on.