SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   FZ1 Handlebar and risers on my Hawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/fz1-handlebar-risers-my-hawk-20935/)

markm70 12-06-2009 01:43 PM

FZ1 Handlebar and risers on my Hawk

3 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys,
I mounted Yamaha FZ1 tubular bar and riser. The fit is incredible. I am happy with this mod, and will increase my comfort on longer rides and not to mention my aging 48 yr old frame.

The risers have long studs molded into each riser threaded only about 3/4" so I ran a 10x1.25 die the rest of the way up, measured and drilled the triple clamp and bolted them on. (Lowes has Hitachi drill bits, I used the 10.3mm). It was that simple! I moved the controls and cables to the new bars and everything fits, I will have to make small brackets so I can move the brakelines slightly. Took her for a test ride and they worked perfectly! I'm happy as hell :D!

Now I have to trim the fairing in the handlebar area and mount my Zero Gravity sport tour windscreen and I'll be ready for spring.
:draggin:

Crashrat 12-06-2009 01:55 PM

Great mod! I've actually wondered about this exact mod. R.

markm70 12-06-2009 02:04 PM

There you have it. I was thinking about this mod for a while.

Mark

mikstr 12-06-2009 03:08 PM

Looks great! Kudos

lazn 12-06-2009 04:00 PM

That does look great!

justscoutin 12-06-2009 04:31 PM

excellent. how much will you have to trim the fairing?

markm70 12-06-2009 04:32 PM

Just under the mirror pads

nekkid 12-07-2009 04:18 AM

Instead of trimming the fairing, see if you can use several washers as shims between the underside of the fairing and the fairing mounts. This will give you more clearance for the bars and controls.

This worked for me when I Heli bar'd my bike.

markm70 12-07-2009 04:55 PM

Thanks nekkid, i'll look into that.

skokievtr 12-07-2009 05:33 PM

based on you saying your are running the OE fairing, I have the following questions:

What year FZ1 risers & bar did you use, and is the bar 7/8" (it appears it is)?

How many mm is it from the top of the triple clamp to the center line of the bar; i.e., height of risers)?

What is the sweep & rise of the FZ1 bar in mm?

Did you trim off the excess length of the riser threaded studs?

Did you make a drill template and is it indexed to the OE triple clamp?

Note: I'm looking for not only about 2" of rise but more pullback, which another bend of bar may offer with the FZ1 risers.

stebbdt 12-07-2009 06:00 PM

like the risers, please throw some pics up when ya put the fairings back on.

markm70 12-07-2009 07:03 PM

For skokievtr and anyone else interested.

Yes it's a 7/8" bar from an 2008

How many mm is it from the top of the triple clamp to the center line of the bar; i.e., height of risers)?
Approx. 80mm (2 7/8")

Sweep is approx 107mm(4 3/8"), Bar is nearly flat, I have it at about 20mm
(1 1/8").

Not yet.

Yes, I used a piece of cardboard, but I'm slightly off. Used a drill press.

Note: I'm looking for not only about 2" of rise but more pullback, which another bend of bar may offer with the FZ1 risers.

Hope that helps....Mark

skokievtr 12-08-2009 08:14 AM

Thanks Mark, see my responses in red interspersed in your reply below.

Originally Posted by markm70 (Post 245586)
For skokievtr and anyone else interested.

Approx. 80mm (2 7/8")
Does the height of the rise and smaller diameter of the bar (versus a 1-1/8" "fat bar") make it feel stiff enough and responsive to control inputs, or is a bit "flexy"?

Sweep is approx 107mm(4 3/8"), Bar is nearly flat, I have it at about 20mm(1 1/8").

Would rotating the bar up and thus moving the bar rearward to its full sweep potential improve control "pod" clearance from the faring, and at the same time increase the height of the grips?

Not yet.

How much are you "off" and why, can you feel the misalignment when riding (it would drive me crazy)?

Hope that helps....Mark

Where on Ebay did you find these parts, link?

markm70 12-08-2009 01:12 PM

Approx. 80mm (2 7/8")
Does the height of the rise and smaller diameter of the bar (versus a 1-1/8" "fat bar") make it feel stiff enough and responsive to control inputs, or is a bit "flexy"?
I couldn't tell you yet because I haven't ridden it enough, I've only done about 5 miles so far. It's pretty damn cold here in ohio now. :)

Sweep is approx 107mm(4 3/8"), Bar is nearly flat, I have it at about 20mm(1 1/8").

Would rotating the bar up and thus moving the bar rearward to its full sweep potential improve control "pod" clearance from the faring, and at the same time increase the height of the grips?
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking in the first part of the question. There isn't enough room to rotate the bar any higher, or i'll be getting too close to the subframe for the mirror mounts.

Not yet.

How much are you "off" and why, can you feel the misalignment when riding (it would drive me crazy)?
Maybe 2mm to the right and 1mm down on the left, I think it moved on the drill press. It doesn't effect the control at all, I didn't even notice till afterwards when I was looking it over. Yes, it does drive me crazy, I may find another triple clamp and try again.

Hope that helps....Mark

skokievtr 12-08-2009 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by markm70 (Post 245707)

Approx. 80mm (2 7/8")
Does the height of the risers and smaller diameter of the bar (versus a 1-1/8" "fat bar") make it feel stiff enough and responsive to control inputs, or is a bit "flexy"?
I couldn't tell you yet because I haven't ridden it enough, I've only done about 5 miles so far. It's pretty damn cold here in ohio now. :)
Without pics with the fairing installed I can't tell where the controls impinge on it. I would think based on the photos you posted by rotating the bars up their sweep would bring them reward away from the fairing. There is a plethora of inexpensive 7/8" bars available, so maybe another bend (i.e., "superbike" bend) with more sweep rearward and a bit more rise would bring the controls back away from the fairing. The result would be control pods above the tank and angled back enough to clear the fairing while providing a sharper wrist angle (which I like). I'm thinking of using 1-1/8" fat bars and risers for there increased stiffness, plus sometimes fat bars come with either an integral or bolt cross-brace; a good spot to mount a GPS versus a steering stem mount.

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking in the first part of the question. There isn't enough room to rotate the bar any higher, or i'll be getting too close to the subframe for the mirror mounts.
See above. By "subframe do you mean the main frame spars or fairing stays?

Not yet.

Maybe 2mm to the right and 1mm down on the left, I think it moved on the drill press. It doesn't effect the control at all, I didn't even notice till afterwards when I was looking it over. Yes, it does drive me crazy, I may find another triple clamp and try again.

Hope that helps....Mark

markm70 12-08-2009 04:58 PM

Skokievtr,
I meant the fairing stays and no, rotating the bars up wouldn't move the controls back any more. I like the straighter handlebar angle as well. I hope that answers your questions and I'll be glad to answer any future questions as well. I'll post pics when i get the fairings installed and a report after i get some more seat time in the spring.

Mark :)

skokievtr 12-09-2009 03:40 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by markm70 (Post 245752)
Skokievtr,
I meant the fairing stays and no, rotating the bars up wouldn't move the controls back any more. I like the straighter handlebar angle as well. I hope that answers your questions and I'll be glad to answer any future questions as well. I'll post pics when i get the fairings installed and a report after i get some more seat time in the spring.

Mark :)

Thanks Mark, shoot me a PM for my email or just post up your pics and ride impressions in the spring. We're getting socked with snow here tonight but I still have not mothballed my 2 wheelers. Sigh.

BTW, my bones have a fair bit more years on them than you. I ran Helibars for years and am now running Tommaselli 4-way adjustable clip-os and intend on fabing a "superbike" bar conversion on a spare triple clamp over the winter. Here are some pics ofmy VTR now.