SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Front Forks "Help Wanted" Seattle Rider (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/front-forks-help-wanted-seattle-rider-23234/)

Seattle_SuperHawk 07-21-2010 04:06 PM

Front Forks "Help Wanted" Seattle Rider

To any Seattle riders that know thier way around the SH Forks.... I need your help. My local shop is about to RAPE my pocket book for 650 + bucks to do a re-spring and valve job on my SH. Thanks to "stebbdt" a forum member i bought a properly set-up rear shock from, i am all set in the rear. I am now not to proud to beg, after seeing the estimate to get my front set-up. i can get the parts needed but i am not comfortable with the job itself. Is there any local or non- local members willing to help turn a wrench or walk me through the process like i am 10 years, ????? Really i am not a lazy ass looking for handouts, so far .......... I have chatted with a few of you fellas, and got good vibe, so i thought i would ask for help here........

I expect to get some flack, but be gentle.....:wootwoot:

lazn 07-21-2010 04:11 PM

If you can handle the down time that comes with shipping, I know Greg (hawkrider) does forks for a reasonable price.

I have never rebuilt them so can't offer any advice on doing it yourself.

Seattle_SuperHawk 07-21-2010 04:22 PM

i am listening, and open to all advice..... beggers cant be choosey right....

thetophatflash 07-21-2010 04:30 PM

I've done it and might be able to help walk you through it.

Seattle_SuperHawk 07-21-2010 04:59 PM

ok, now we are talking...... anyone want to chime in and let know if just springs or springs and valves are needed....... moderate rider with half inch chicken strips.... :)

you wouldnt get help in an R1 forum ....... says alot about SH owners !!!

jbaxx 07-21-2010 05:32 PM

I did the springs in mine (no revalve) and it made a significant improvement in the front end of the bike. Spend the $100 on springs and drop 'em in. :thumbsup:

thetophatflash 07-21-2010 05:36 PM

Did both and was quite pleased with the improvement in compression damping.

Seattle_SuperHawk 07-21-2010 09:13 PM

lovin the feedback.

Seattle_SuperHawk 07-22-2010 07:41 AM

Bump !!

zwoehr 07-22-2010 07:44 AM

I've rebuilt mountain bike forks, different but similar. On my Hawk I just decided to swap forks. I'm in Seattle though and can help.

If you are just going to do springs you may want to go with heavier oil it might get you into a better damping range with the heavier springs.

Seattle_SuperHawk 07-22-2010 01:07 PM

ZWOEHR, we chatted before about swapping out my front end, i am still hopeful i will find a reasonably price upgrade...... still got you at the top of my "go to list". Another member PM'd me about a stock set with .95 springs and valves redone. just waiting for follow up. but hey i am still all ears ????? there has been alot of treads today so i think this one doesnt stay on the front page too long.

JamieDaugherty 07-22-2010 03:51 PM

Yeah, $650 is too much for that work. I charge less than half that much ($295) with all parts and labor included. It sounds like you are on the right track - find a different shop!

Seattle_SuperHawk 07-23-2010 07:43 AM

Thanks Jamie, if this deal falls through, i am shipping you a pair of forks. So far the rear shock feels amazing, other than it is throwing into the very poorly set up front end...... but thats why i am here...to learn

Seattle_SuperHawk 07-23-2010 10:48 AM

bump, bump
:confused:
:?:

JamieDaugherty 07-23-2010 01:56 PM

No problem man, just let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

dutchdude 07-24-2010 09:52 AM

good luck seattle - please post your results - scaring me since fork mods are also next on my list- was that quote from a bike shop or a suspension shop? if yuo go to the WMMRA website there is a list of suspension guys that might be a better deal - FYI

Seattle_SuperHawk 07-24-2010 01:15 PM

:wootwoot:Well, THANK YOU FORUM,

Thanks to D.Grinnell another Forum member , i now have a set of RaceTech Re-valved and .95 sprung forks >>>>>> on there way. Seattle riders, Who wants to have a "get to know ya / fork install BBQ" ???? :)

crackerjackman 07-24-2010 06:31 PM

I would be down but my front is starting to show the cords so I stopped riding her and am gettin a new front next week. When were you thinking of having it???