SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Front Fork Swap - The Guide (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/front-fork-swap-guide-23751/)

JamieDaugherty 05-27-2013 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by JN607 (Post 346001)
I wanted to add that the Second Gen Hayabusa forks will bolt right up to the VTR's frame. The only thing that I really had to make "custom" was all balls bearings for both the top and bottom half of the triple tree.

Originally Posted by outrigger (Post 355736)
Hey JN, got specs on the custom bearings? ID/OD etc? There's a juicy 'busa whole front for sale at a wrecker near my place. Creaming

Something that I see often overlooked is that before a fork swap is the replacement forks often need springs and a revalve. This is certainly the case with Hayabusa forks. The internal valving is crap and the springs are on the soft side for many riders.

Please don't get fooled into thinking straight out of the box the inverted forks will be better. Sure, they are probably better than the stock VTR forks. In most cases doing springs and revalve on your VTR forks will net you better performance than a set of stock inverted forks.

malahhaor 01-22-2014 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty (Post 355738)
Something that I see often overlooked is that before a fork swap is the replacement forks often need springs and a revalve. This is certainly the case with Hayabusa forks. The internal valving is crap and the springs are on the soft side for many riders.

Please don't get fooled into thinking straight out of the box the inverted forks will be better. Sure, they are probably better than the stock VTR forks. In most cases doing springs and revalve on your VTR forks will net you better performance than a set of stock inverted forks.

So for someone who rides about 600 miles a year and not extreemly agressive, youre saying reworking stock forks will suffice? im 205 at 5'11'' and my current forks bottom out extreemly easy. its a 98 model and i dont know if previouse owners ever serviced them.

VTRDarren 01-22-2014 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by malahhaor (Post 367601)
So for someone who rides about 600 miles a year and not extreemly agressive, youre saying reworking stock forks will suffice? im 205 at 5'11'' and my current forks bottom out extreemly easy. its a 98 model and i dont know if previouse owners ever serviced them.

I had reworked stock forks on my '98 that saw street and track duty and having them simply resprung and correctly valved made a world of difference (I'm also 200-ish)

JamieDaugherty 01-22-2014 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by malahhaor (Post 367601)

Yeah, for most riders a revalve/spring upgrade is plenty. USD forks are nice but I'm not sure the average rider would be able to justify the cost.

Kieran 09-25-2015 10:45 PM

ZX10r Fork swap

Hello all
I am working on a fork swap using 04/05 ZX10r forks & calipers, 07 CBR600rr triples and a GSXR1000 radial mastercylinder.
This puts the brake caliper centres at 132mm, and the 04/05 ZX10r axle is the same diameter as the VTR's.
VTR brake disc centres are at 130mm, which is ok. Floating piston calipers allow for such discrepancies.
With this setup I can use the stock wheel. I'm working on spacer sizes now.
The top triple had to be bored out to 50mm, bottom was fine. Bearings and spindle were the same. I will have to adjust the steering stops as they don't allow enough lock, and then I will need to put the radiator spacers on.
With the downward gullarm top triple the forks are long enough.
The brakes on that model of ZX10r were known to be soggy, and that mastercylinder is a known fix on the zx forum.
More to follow.

SXRguyinMA 10-08-2015 06:30 AM

I just found my triple clamp set from my old TLR in teh shed - I'm going to see if they'll fit on the Hawk

playerone 08-27-2016 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 334320)
SP-1 and SP-2 brakes are, respectively, essentially the same as 929 and 954 (in terms of calipers and MCs), the only major difference is the use of 320mm rotors on the RC compared to 330mm rotors on the CBRs. YOu can't go wrong with any of the combinations.

So the fitment holes are same spacing on the SP-1 discs(rotors) as the 954?

xeris 08-28-2016 06:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by playerone (Post 398140)
So the fitment holes are same spacing on the SP-1 discs(rotors) as the 954?

Bolt spacing is the same across many models and years. Take a look at these charts.
Attachment 20292

Attachment 20293

playerone 08-28-2016 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 398148)
Bolt spacing is the same across many models and years. Take a look at these charts.
Attachment 20292

Attachment 20293

That's perfect, thank you :)

ACE VenTRa 09-08-2018 04:41 PM

Has anyone ever determined which of the fork swaps is the lightest?

mikstr 09-08-2018 05:39 PM

I am running 2005 ZX-10R forks and had read at the time of their release that they were the lightest USD forks around. That may or may not be the case anymore.