SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Front end swap question (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/front-end-swap-question-26948/)

ssing 11-06-2011 08:40 AM

Front end swap question

Hey gang. I am Steve known as SSING on the board. I own a 2003 Superhawk bought new. I have been lurking on the board for years and have read and followed much of your advise. Yes I am a member of the bent valve club and now have Ape CCTs. I just turned 60 and my wife got me an Ohlins shock for my birthday. I am going to update my front end while I put the shock on. In a box I have bits I have been collecting for years. I have SP1 tubes and 929 triple trees, the gull wing style and I know to get bearings from All Balls. I have an SP1 RC 51 wheel , rotors and breaks. I already have the Helibars on the bike as my ancient back needs to be in a bit more up right position. I have read the front end swap threads many times and I am not clear on one thing. Can I use the 929 upper and lower triples and be able to mount my RC tubes and wheel or do I have to use a SP1 lower triple ? Is there any other reason not to use the lower 929 triple. Many of you use the SP1 lower and the 929 upper and I do not have an SP1 lower and would need to get it if I should.
My other bikes are an RC 51 track only, an 2003 600RR with an 05 front end, an F1 I have been building for years. An 06 wing and a 1967 Triumph, my second bike ever purchased , my first was an 1963 CB 160. My favorite? I love them all, but the Hawk is way up my list. it's such a light toque monster I find it a ball to toss around.
Any advise on the triple trees would be appreciated .
Also is it possible to buy just the lower fiberglass part to enclose the bottom , or do you have to get all new plastics?
Thanks Steve

Tweety 11-06-2011 01:26 PM

The 929/954 triple tree works fine with the SP fork legs... However, to get the best compromise between height, and mounting points for the heli's, you might have to clamp the legs on the edge of the thick parts... Before you rip stuff apart, measure the bike with the stock front, so you can replicate the front ride height... Saves you a lot of headaches...

8541Hawk 11-08-2011 11:50 AM

Well first of all here is the link to the thread when I hung the SP2 front end on mine:https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...on-swap-21595/

So your triple clamp questions, each set up has it's advantages and draw backs.

With the 929\954 set up it is pretty easy to modify the clamp to fit the bike and get the steering stops set up. When I used this set up I did use a SP1 upper as I mount my clip-ons below the triple and I like being able to use the alignment makes on the forks but either upper will work fine.

Also there is no need to modify the fairing as the lower clears everything.

Now the draw back to this set up, at least on the SP2 forks, is the you could not pull them all the way down.

The lowest I could set them was equivalent to the stock forks pulled 10mm up in the triple. Now this can work well and is how I ran my stock forks (along with a 6mm ride height spacer in the rear) the problem I had was that I would drag the header in right hand turns.

So in order to get more ground clearance, I wanted to get back to the "stock" height in the front and make my geometry changes in the rear (but that is another topic)

So I switched to a SP1 lower. The advantage is I get the suspension set up I want and am happy with how the bike works. ;)

The draw backs are they are damn hard to find, which means they usually are a bit "pricey" compared to other similar parts. (of course Attack does make that nice billet one for around $800 if you have a little extra $$ to spend.....)

Then the steering stops are in the totally wrong place, so you have to work out something there.

You also need to trim the inside of the fairing are it hits in a few places.

So there are your choices. I'm not sure how different the cut down spots are on the SP1 forks than what is on the SP2's I do know they are different though so you might not have all the same issues that I did.