SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Front end swap (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/front-end-swap-21199/)

ranchomice 01-02-2010 11:02 PM

Front end swap

Ok so I'm lazy, shoot me now. I did a quick search but I don't want to go through all of them. My simple question is........is there a front end that improves performance that is a direct or nearly direct swap without fifty mods? If so, what is it. I'm just looking around at this point so price is not important. I just want to know my options and if it's something that can be kind of an R&R thing.

Tweety 01-03-2010 02:49 AM

Yes...

lazn 01-03-2010 04:07 AM

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...splay.php?f=40

Tweety 01-03-2010 04:59 AM

I'm having a bout of unexplained niceness... ;) So I'll give an answear to the second question...

As long as you use a 929/954 triple tree ALL of the listed swaps using Honda parts are essentially bolt on... CBR 929RR/954RR/1000RR, RC51 (SP1&SP2)... Just take the complete front with wheel and all and stick it in the triple...

You then have to solve two problems... One is the clip-ons being to low... Easy but expensive option is an adjustable setup (ConvertiBar or similar) or a fixed but "tall" clipon like Swatts or a Helibar for the 929's...

The second "problem" is that with the front only bolted on you reduce lock-to-lock... One option is to just live with it... It only affects very low speed stuff like paddling around in the garage...

The solution is to file parts of the lover triple to clear and then move the radiators back slightly, but now we are going beyond bolt-on...

Obviously with all stuff like this there will be details that you may need to improvise slightly to get the finished look you might want... But in terms of functionality it really is that simple...

mikstr 01-03-2010 05:04 AM

http://www.vtwo.demon.co.uk/firestorm/firestorm.htm

Click on Fireblade fork Upgrade. Closest thing to a direct bolt-on as you`ll ever find.

Tweety 01-03-2010 05:31 AM

mikstr, the same problems with clip-ons are present as with the newer CBR stuff, plus at this point it's probably easier to find parts for the newer bikes... The crowd of people selling the 96/96 blade forks to bolt on an Ohlins is getting thinner...

So yeah, bolt on without loosing any lock-to-lock... But harder to find...

Edit: A quick search on eBay disproved that in 10 seconds... There are parts available for peanuts... :shock: So yeah... It's atleast by far the cheapest option...

Can you advise on what clip-ons to use mikstr?

mikstr 01-03-2010 06:23 AM

I used Helibars from a Triumph 955 which I had modified to raise them up by 1 1/8" (going from memory, had a tubular stock extension welded in to get them right up to where the Helis were on my stock forks) although stock 900RR clip-ons would surely work too. Over and above being a very simple swap, the fact that you can retain the stock wheel and rotors makes it a substantially cheaper awap too (as I found out when I was contemplating a RC51 front end). My particular set-up has been fitted with a Gold Valve kit (compression) using specs given to me by Roger Ditchfield and it works very well (no need to touch the rebound side, per Roger). Another reason for going this route is that the Man said that the RC51 forks come with such crappy set-ups that they require extensive work to get right (I won't share his exact wording on the quality of the OEM specs for the RC forks but it wasn't pretty, lol).

While it obviously lacks the bling of USDs, it is substantially cheaper, easier to sort, and works quite well when done (perhaps not quite up to snuff if your name is Valentino Rossi but I am nowhere near that level), and that made it good enough for me.

One last thing, if you go this route, get the Triumph front fender as the 900RR unit is absolutely hideous. I will be selling mine (black) shortly BTW as I have a carbon fender on the way....

Tweety 01-03-2010 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 248759)
I used Helibars from a Triumph 955 which I had modified to raise them up by 1 1/8" (going from memory, had a tubular stock extension welded in to get them right up to where the Helis were on my stock forks) although stock 900RR clip-ons would surely work too. Over and above being a very simple swap, the fact that you can retain the stock wheel and rotors makes it a substantially cheaper awap too (as I found out when I was contemplating a RC51 front end). My particular set-up has been fitted with a Gold Valve kit (compression) using specs given to me by Roger Ditchfield and it works very well (no need to touch the rebound side, per Roger). Another reason for going this route is that the Man said that the RC51 forks come with such crappy set-ups that they require extensive work to get right (I won't share his exact wording on the quality of the OEM specs for the RC forks but it wasn't pretty, lol).

While it obviously lacks the bling of USDs, it is substantially cheaper, easier to sort, and works quite well when done (perhaps not quite up to snuff if your name is Valentino Rossi but I am nowhere near that level), and that made it good enough for me.

One last thing, if you go this route, get the Triumph front fender as the 900RR unit is absolutely hideous. I will be selling mine (black) shortly BTW as I have a carbon fender on the way....

Yeah, I know... I had a conversation with him on the combined suspension setup of the VTR in stock form... The wording isn't publishable...;)

You know, with about $300-340 in parts, not counting the clip-ons which should also be cheaper than the USD variations it's a damned good budget option... And with proper springs in there it should be good enough for just about everyone...

The 1000RR forks on the VTR are most definetly overkill...;) But I like overkill... :rolleyes:

The apeal for me was the total package, an USD fork is incredibly rigid, so no flex, the 06-07 forks are in stock form setup ballpark right for my weight, and the brakes are mental... They are "Astonishing good!" on a stock CBR according to reviews... On a VTR the difference from stock is... Well mental is the only description... Last time I was on a stock VTR I was scared and wanted to get of after two curves...

mikstr 01-03-2010 07:36 AM

I am running Ohlins 0.90 kg/mm springs with aforementioned GV kit. On the brake side, all is above amazing (only bike I rode that betters it is a Duc 1098, the 848 and KTM RC8 not bettering it). While I do admit to longing for the bling of a USD set-up at times, the 900RR set-up allowed me to keep my PVM mag front wheel (although JamieD's set-up also does that while using GSX-R USD forks... maybe someday....). Either way, it is rigid (45 mm tubes so no flex there) and works very well. While I am always looking for new mods (I am sure you have noticed, lol), any new changes to the front end are not becuase my current set-up doesn't mesure up.... I will be putting ceramic hybrid bearings in the wheel and a carbon front fender though....

Tweety 01-03-2010 07:43 AM

Not to worry, you aren't the only one with OCMD (Obsessive Compulsive Modification Disorder) around here...;)

And yeah if I hade those wheels I'd like to keep them as well... On a side note the CBR wheels I'm using is substantially lighter than the OEM VTR wheels at a reasonable price point... Doesn't mean I'm not dreaming of forged one's though...

8541Hawk 01-03-2010 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 248759)

Yeah the RC forks do need a bit of work but I guess I'm lucky to have Dan Kyle around locally to make them work right for me.... a few Ohlins parts do wonders for them.....

stebbdt 01-04-2010 05:23 PM

O.K. Guys, seeings as a few of you have converted to USD's, I've been sifting through the threads and need to ask.. looks like 929/954 triples' with RC51 fork legs would be the way to go, now, apparantly, the stock VTR front rim is incompatable with this set up, yes?? So.. some have converted to 900rr rear rims (that fit up with/without mods to the stock VTR swingarm?) to match with an RC51 front rim.
So.. my question.. is there a front rim visually similar to the VTR's that can be used with the RC51 set-up, or can the stock VTR rom be modded, ie: different bearings/rotors, to work. Just asking as there is currently a short supply of used front RC51 rims available.
Thanks
Dave

Tweety 01-04-2010 05:31 PM

The front rim from the 929/954RR and 1000RR are similar enough to the VTR stock rim... And since atleast a 1000RR rim fits on the RC51, the opposite should be true... Also the stock rotors bolt up to the 1000RR wheel...

stebbdt 01-04-2010 05:47 PM

Thanks Tweety,
You up late again? What time is it there, it's 8:45 pm EST here, on monday the 4th heh-heh.

8541Hawk 01-04-2010 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by stebbdt (Post 248887)
Just asking as there is currently a short supply of used front RC51 rims available.
Thanks
Dave

I hear ya on that, It took me 4 months to find an SP2 front wheel and even then I had to get a bent one and have it straightened.... :shock:

lazn 01-04-2010 10:04 PM

CBR1000RR front wheel best matches the VTR rear. That's why I went with it. The CBR954RR front wheel had way too skinny and straight spokes when compared to the VTR rear.

And 954 forks work great too, you just need clipons with a lot of rise since you can't mount them above the triple.

mikstr 01-05-2010 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 248911)
I hear ya on that, It took me 4 months to find an SP2 front wheel

yep, another reason I went with the 900RR set-up

stebbdt 01-26-2010 01:07 PM

So.. will a cbr 600rr front wheel work with the rc51 swap??