SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Front End modding Costs? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/front-end-modding-costs-14478/)

peabody 04-21-2008 11:57 PM

Front End modding Costs?

Whats the average cost for a front end swap?? I have a '05 with a bent tube and was just wondering how much im looking at spending

superbling 04-22-2008 07:11 AM

From least $ to most $$$$

Crash damage:

Repair bent upper fork tube
Replace bent upper fork tube
Set of used VTR forks from forum or ebay

General upgrading:

Fork brace and springs for stocker
Greg's massaging of stockers
cbr900rr forks
cbr600f4i forks
Full Race tech (or similiar) service of stockers
929/954
RC51
CBR1000RR
Ohlins SuperBike (hah!)

Depending on prices and services rendered, the crash damage list can easily switch order. Now that I think about it, buying a used stock set from a forum member is probably the cheapest.

The upgrade list is my generalization of costs and headaches I've estimated from both my research and modding as well as the experiences I've seen here on this and other forums. There are sooooo many variables: can you buy an entire front end or have to slowly piece it together (handling charges add up), do you need different springs, how many stock parts can be used, is the front end "popular" with other modders, will you do the work or others, does the bike need modification, front fender match or need painting, changes in handling/feel, etc.

Price range: under $200 for a repaired tube to $3000+ for the ultimate Ohlins experience. I'd questimate my F4i setup at $700 with shipping. This is higher than necessary since a) I waited for a set of racetech forks and b) added gixxer1000 brakes which costs more than f4i units. I also experimented with handling by trying different triples which added to the bottom line but I did resell the others. I'm sure others have put something together for less.

FWIW

RCVTR 04-22-2008 07:27 AM

It didn't cost me very much. Maybe only $$.
I found that resale values of thh VTR stuff were not much different than the replacement parts. I had a good set of stock stuff to sell, including Racetech springs, valving mods and fork brace.

I pieced it together, and was not in a hurry. Since riding season is here, you might want to repair/replace/modify the stock front end and do a swap next winter. You will likely find the original front end to be quite good with springs, valving and a fork brace.

I wanted bigger brakes for track days, but never needed them on the street.

FL02SupaHawk996 04-22-2008 07:42 AM

I agree with the $700 as probably a minimum to swap out front ends if you're lucky and do the work yourself you might come in a little lower, but if you go RC51 parts take out a 2nd mortgage;)

redman 04-22-2008 08:21 AM

+1 on the $700ish

KC-10ENG 04-26-2008 08:29 AM

If you are going to have to replace the front end anyways you might as well bite the bullet and upgrade the front end. But first make yourself a shopping list and then go find your parts. Last year it seemed like a lot of front end conversions took place on this board so there is a lot of good info floating around on how to do it and which parts to use and not to use.

I personally did the swap with some RC51 forks and brakes and am so happy that I did the swap. It is to bad that honda did not realize the full potential of this bike and just let it waste away with zero susp. upgrades during the whole production run. (small rant) I have totally enjoyed the performance of the new front end and the updated brakes. It seems like most people here have the greatest problem with the bars or clip-ons clearing the fairing so be very careful what you select in that area!

Good Luck Dennis

cliby 04-26-2008 08:46 AM

ebay parts: front wheel with rotors 250-300. forks with triples 300-350, calipers 125-175. new bearings 50. that was for an RC51 front end but I had the luxury of time to wait and get at least acceptable prices. Then as RCVTR said, I sold my stock stuff to get back at least 2/3 the costs. that is a very good cost/benefit especially for what you get (better suspension, better brakes, lighter wheels, more stability etc etc. Time and effort and if you aren't comfortable doing the work, then don't bother of course.

bill

SlowHAWK 04-26-2008 08:52 AM

I'm in the process of my second RC front swap... your looking at 700-1000 depending what you want part wise. It can get pricey if you swap out to racetech springs, spend your 401K on clip-ons, and which front wheel you use... (SP2) wheels run in the 200's alone.

Plus there are a ton of the little things you don't think about that add up... tapered bearings (if you decide to swap them out 45 plus shipping), wheel bearings if they have to be replaced, misc. bolts and washers, spacers...

If you do can get a full front end, wheel to clip-ons, you can probably save a bit, as all the little junk will be there for you, but either way, it's pricey.

J.

killer5280 04-26-2008 11:56 AM

I think I spent somewhere around $800, but sold my my stock front end for $500.

Tweety 04-26-2008 12:06 PM

I spent around 950$ on parts... but that includes ConvertiBars which aren't cheap...

Unfortunately another 250$ on shipping across the pond makes it a total of 1200$... But made around 650$ selling the left-over parts...

cliby 04-26-2008 12:19 PM

and again, you can't overemphasize what you get back in terms of better performance

Tweety 04-26-2008 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by cliby (Post 161526)
and again, you can't overemphasize what you get back in terms of better performance

Heh... Nope... It was well worth it... I'd gladly pay twice that if needed...:)

JamieDaugherty 04-28-2008 07:58 AM

I'm in the process of swapping GSXR750 forks (01's with the big brakes) to mine. The forks were $125, carbon fiber fender $50, triples $50, axle $20, CBR954 calipers $50. I just bought an 01 GSXR600 wheel with rotors for $200, so I'm up to about $500. I've made some trick fork caps so that I can use my stock clip-ons which will help with the costs. I'll post more on that when the time comes.