SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Fork swap suggestions (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/fork-swap-suggestions-31445/)

jscobey 12-07-2013 09:16 PM

Fork swap suggestions

Hi all,
The previous owner on my bike did a fork swap, in fact I beleivee a full front end swap from a 1998 900rr. I know it wasn't done perfectly and the headset bearings/steering damper and a couple other things need to be repaired. So I figure ill do another swap. I wanna go inverted for sure. So I guess what I'm asking for is suggestions or advice. Expierience with different swaps? What's a good fork that is a pretty simple swap? And also what parts do I need to go with those forks... Like wheel, brakes, triples... Etc? Remember I believe the whole front end is from a 98 900rr. I know of the sticky talking about fork swaps, but I'm more lookin for personal expierince, cost, simplicity of swap. You guys always give me great tips so I never fail to ask the experts on here. Thanks a bunch!

NHSH 12-07-2013 09:56 PM

That would be an RC51 front, unfortunately harder to come by with these days, the next inline would be CBR1000RR 04 to 07 would be a great fit and plenty of parts online, with some additional minor adjustments, but easy enough, you can get allot more details on here:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ke-mods-13176/

jscobey 12-12-2013 04:54 PM

Thanks for the reply NHSH, so if I was able to find an RC51 full front end, it would be an exact fit?

NHSH 12-12-2013 09:18 PM

RC51 front is mostly bolt on, but you will need some adjustments, please read the following thread, it is the bible to all front end swaps of all types and there are more than two ;)
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...p-guide-23751/

VTRDarren 12-13-2013 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by jscobey (Post 366023)
Hi all,
The previous owner on my bike did a fork swap, in fact I beleivee a full front end swap from a 1998 900rr. I know it wasn't done perfectly and the headset bearings/steering damper and a couple other things need to be repaired. So I figure ill do another swap. I wanna go inverted for sure. So I guess what I'm asking for is suggestions or advice. Expierience with different swaps? What's a good fork that is a pretty simple swap? And also what parts do I need to go with those forks... Like wheel, brakes, triples... Etc? Remember I believe the whole front end is from a 98 900rr. I know of the sticky talking about fork swaps, but I'm more lookin for personal expierince, cost, simplicity of swap. You guys always give me great tips so I never fail to ask the experts on here. Thanks a bunch!

I was actually considering the 900rr setup and am curious what is messed up on yours? Just bad bearings maybe? Any pics of the current setup?

mikstr 12-13-2013 01:43 PM

900RR set-up works quite well (much more rigid and lighter too); however, you need to get the 96-97 set-up, unless you plan on buying a new front wheel and a set of brake rotors too..... see Knowledge Base for write-up on swap.....

jscobey 12-13-2013 05:26 PM

Ill post up some pics of my 900rr setup VTRDarren, but there's a notch in my stearing,like a spot where it almost locks to. It could be remedied with some bearings but I've been wanting to do a swap anyways so I figure why fix this set up just to change it down the line. But I do like the 900rr setup alot. Works well with the SHawk and it's deffinatly an upgrade from stock

NHSH 12-13-2013 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by jscobey (Post 366272)
Ill post up some pics of my 900rr setup VTRDarren, but there's a notch in my stearing,like a spot where it almost locks to. It could be remedied with some bearings but I've been wanting to do a swap anyways so I figure why fix this set up just to change it down the line. But I do like the 900rr setup alot. Works well with the SHawk and it's deffinatly an upgrade from stock

It is bearings, don't wait on that and get the tapered bearings, you will fix the problem and it seems you will be set to go.

jscobey 12-14-2013 05:20 PM

NHSH, thanks for all your help. So do I need 900rr bearings or SHawk bearings? And also how important is a steering damper? I believe that needs service/replacement as well. I know some bikes, even brand new, don't have them so is it worth spending money on?

mikstr 12-14-2013 05:33 PM

Steering head bearings are same for VTR and 900RR, hence the ability to swap between bikes..... Have a look at the All Balls web site.....

Wolverine 12-18-2013 08:32 AM

I moved the thread jack to off-topic. jscobey just wants fork swap info, so please stay on topic for his sake.

jscobey 12-18-2013 10:22 AM

Thanks wolverine! So I'm goin to purchase a full RC51 front end from a member on here. Wheel, rotors, spacers, axels, bearings, forks, clip ons. So ill have my full 900rr front end up for sale after the swap. I'm sure ill have more questions for you guys once I get the new front end. Thanks for all the input