SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Flo-Commander group buy (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/flo-commander-group-buy-22980/)

Stevebis1 06-23-2010 10:09 AM

Flo-Commander group buy

I spoke with Steve at Performance Design about a possible group buy for Flo-commanders. I know I'm planning to pick one up to go with my Doc Honda intakes and I suspect others are thinking about this too.

He indicated if we could get 12 orders together he would knock off 10%. List is $134.95 so looks like we would get $13.50 off. I don't know what shipping these costs but they are small and light so the deal should be a little better than just free shipping.

What do you all think? I know there is 25+ on the intake buy, are there 12+ of you out there that will go in on a group buy for the flow commander?

Mikstr & Tweety - I know you both have this set up and have commented previously. Care to add your voice to recommending this combination? (I must have lost the dyno slips...;))

Not really sure how group buys work - I'll be happy to administer this. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Finally, put your name down below if your interested. If it looks like we are above 12 then we'll go forward. I think a week should be enough time to collect names. I know I don't want to wait any longer than that to order mine.

lazn 06-23-2010 10:20 AM

I am in for one.. Been thinking about this and kicking myself for not picking one up off ebay last year when there was one there for cheap.

Tweety 06-23-2010 11:20 AM

Well, anyone showing you a dynosheet and telling you how much he gained in HP from the FC is either lying or confused... It will not gain you a fraction of torque or HP...

And before you run for the door, saying "No thank you!"... Read below...

It doesn't add anything that isn't there already because all it is is a way to fine tune your existing jetting, and change your jetting on the fly... Also used correctly you can use it as a DIY dyno bench...

The Flo-commander is NOT a substitute for jetting... It's a fine tune for the jetting that is in place... It's that simple...;)

The jetting that is done is still what affects how the bike runs, this means since the rear is naturally richer (because of heat issues) and therefore jetted for this, what the FC does is to even out the difference that the airbox turbulence creates... Nothing else... If you make the setting richer with the FC it goes richer for both, same for leaner...

This means that the balance between the front and rear cylinder is unchanged as far as jetting goes... But, you might find that you need to adjust the balance as the airflow in the carbs is evened out... Ie you might find that you can't get both cylinders to optimum unless you re-jet one cylinder...

Same for the synchronisation... It still works the same as without the FC... If you sync at idle it's dead even there but drifts more and more the further away you get, that's why some sync at 4K to compensate, as this is where you wan't them sync'ed for the midrange... The FC reduces the drift, but doesn't cancel it out completely... Altough I think it could come very close to canceling it out in the whole midrange like they advertise...

In terms of how much you can adjust, they claim it's able to adjust about one jet size either way... Ie if you are on the right jet size you can then fine tune... If you are one size or more of, adjusting the FC to one end will produce noticable gains and you can then figure out which way you need to move with the jetting...

So you still jet your carbs the same, sync your carbs the same and adjust you idle and what not the same...

But once you have the FC in place and those other things dialed in, and a basic jetting in place, you can adjust both carbs from one point and fiddle around to figure out if you need a re-jet without going on a dyno... Or adjust for the weather... Or once you have it setup, go get that dyno-tune and have them fine tune it to the max instead of paying several hours worth of basic setup to figure out what jet is needed...

FinalBoss 06-23-2010 11:23 AM

Count me in.

thetophatflash 06-23-2010 11:50 AM

I have one and Tweety is correct. It's a fine tuning device for carb adj. and it works sweet. Once installed, the access from the outside allows you to better understanding of whether you are running lean or fat and adjust with less trial and error that might require carb removal.

wyldryce 06-23-2010 05:37 PM

I would assume though, that it's pretty useful for those of us who tune for our home location (for me, sea level) and ride in pretty varied elevations. I may even find someone who can weld Ti and have a bung welded in for my wideband O2 sensor/guage. hmm....
now, can I free up the funds?

residentg 06-23-2010 10:35 PM

I was reading up on these today - here is the website:

http://www.flo-commander.com/

Looks like a nice product.

JB

motormouth 06-24-2010 12:44 AM

I am very interested in this product . I dont want to pay for the Dyno time to fine tune my MC . I want to research this a little more and possibly get in on the group buy . I am calling tommorrow to ask a few questions and then i will let you know . Thanks .

Stevebis1 06-25-2010 08:37 AM

Got an Email back from performance design. The deal is 10% off and $7.00 shipping (normally $9.75). So based on 134.95 list this will be $121.46 + $7 for $128.46 net.

We will need at least a dozen orders. I thought this would be more popular. Everyone getting the Velocity stacks will have to re-jet figured this would be a nice mod to do at the same time...

Upland111 06-27-2010 09:00 PM

Ordered my stacks last week, waiting for arrival. Seriously considering the flo-commander for the main air jet circuit, after reading about it on the web site, and talking to Steve from Performance Design.
FYI, they also sell the tubing and adapters for the pilot jet circuit, even though it is not listed for the SH. I am not sure if I need it because I have a completely stock engine, exhaust and stock jetting. I am wondering if having the carbs synced and correct setting on pilot screws is adequate, but for those who have not read this on their web site here is a partial quote.
"On a street Sportbike, when you are cruising at a lower part throttle position, say up to 3500 or so, the Flo-Commander set up on the pilot system will solve many tuning problems, which make the engine run rough or surge there. Again, our system on the main circuit is the best for overall improvement, but if need be, a set-up on the pilot system can be a great plus as well."
Supposedly it makes a bigger differance if you have engine mods and carb tuning problems are having trouble dialing in the carbs.
Just some information for you, and curiosity on my part.
Thanks,
DW

Tweety 06-28-2010 01:52 AM

The pilot jet circuit would make more difference if the bike is fed with a ram-air... But I doubt it would do much on our bikes...

Upland111 06-28-2010 08:01 AM

Thanks Tweety.
I take it that the benifits seen from the flo-commander by isolating the main air jet circuit from air turbulance would be very minimal for the pilot jet circuit. I am certianly not a carb tuner so this flo-commander concept is interesting.
Appreciate it.
DW

Stevebis1 06-28-2010 09:49 AM

Hey guys, including myself we got 3 yesses and 3 maybes. That won't cut it, vender says he wants 12 orders to do this.
Anyone else?
If some more jump in and it looks like we're getting close, I'll keep this going till next week.

RWhisen 07-12-2010 02:31 PM

$129.95 here:

http://www.exoticsportbike.com/honda103.htm

Upland111 07-12-2010 04:01 PM

I bit the bullet and bought one last week from Performance Design, paid 5 bucks more not including shipping. Oh well, looking forward to getting it this week.
Just an FYI for those interested, the only thing I have noticed with the new velocity stacks that was not there before, is a flat spot/stumble when rolling it on in third gear from 4 to 4.5 Grand.
I don't typically go WFO at that low of revs often, so it's not that big of a deal. It may be just from air turbulance ( or simply that it is over-carburated at that RPM at wide open), and hopefully the flo-commander will help. BTW it is a completely stock set-up thus far, except for the trimmed tab on the OEM filter.
I have made sure the cards are synced. Have not done the TPS adjustment yet but plan to.
Either way, these motors are so much fun, love the power delivery.
It is also educational and entertaining to read what other members have to say about these S-Hawks.
Thanks