SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   exhaust slip-ons -- budget $750 (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/exhaust-slip-ons-budget-%24750-22353/)

Blueracer 04-28-2010 05:50 PM

exhaust slip-ons -- budget $750

these seem to fall under this ballpark $:

Jardine Rt-1
TBR M5
Devils
Leo

I'll either do titanium or carbon. What is best bang for the buck?
Looking for solid quality in a high mount style, good bassy rumble and little performance boost sharp look too. I know there is a lot of threads on this subject and it's personal preference but I want opinions .

residentg 04-29-2010 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Blueracer (Post 264002)
these seem to fall under this ballpark $:

Jardine Rt-1
TBR M5
Devils
Leo

I'll either do titanium or carbon...

I've read a couple of posts saying that carbon cans do not hold up well to the exhaust pulses of the big twin. Anyone else have comments on that?

JB

Blueracer 04-29-2010 05:24 AM

I'm leaning towards titanium. More concerned about overall solid quality between manufactures and not abnoxious but good mean bassy rumble.

thatbloke 04-29-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 264047)
I've read a couple of posts saying that carbon cans do not hold up well to the exhaust pulses of the big twin. Anyone else have comments on that?

JB

I have heard the same thing, although not restricted to twins. The vibrations in the support collar will ware a hole in the case. I would go with the titanium ones.

Moto Man 04-29-2010 11:41 AM

If it's just the support collar couldn't you just put in a shim to keep it from rubbing, or do the rivets in the end caps wear as well?

oahu hawk 04-29-2010 12:21 PM

Read an article in Cycle News about Akrapovic and the company's founder...in the article the founder states that carbon cans do not last as long as Ti and are only slightly lighter...

Tweety 04-29-2010 12:28 PM

In all cans the rivets wear after long enough time... And in all cans that have carbonfiber without an internal skin of some sort the cf "wears out" through heat cycling and vibration/engine pulses after a while... I have seen cf cans more or less burnt through... I have also seen them crack and the resin crumble from the heat/vibration... Those where soft enough to mostly fall apart when you pushed at them with a finger...

cf is good for a lot of things... Slip-ons are in my mind not one of them... I prefer aluminium or Ti... ;)

On the other hand I have also witnessed an alu can that separated blowing the end piece out from a backfire... But that was probably due to weakened rivets...

Moehawk005 04-29-2010 12:41 PM

am gonna put the TB M5 on mine. (Titanium) u know to match the frame,

Forde 04-30-2010 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 264047)

JB

true, my mates TL-R used to destroy carbon cans.

OldGuy 04-30-2010 05:02 AM

My Yoshimura RS-3 Zyclone carbon-fibre slip-ons have over 50,000 km (35,000 miles) on them and have had absolutely no problems.

On a sidenote, I just found out Yoshimura now offers an RS-3C version which has carbon-fibre cone-shaped endcaps in addition to the RS-3 spigot-type endcap version that I have.

trackdayhawk 04-30-2010 07:53 AM

In my experience, the carbons look great, but if there is any movement or excessive vibration, you've got problems. The carbon fabric is not the intial problem, it's the resin, once that fails, the exhaust will then ultimately blow through the carbon fiber material. For long life, Ti or AL are the way to go.

Blueracer 05-01-2010 07:54 PM

thanks fellas went with TBR M5 titanium hi mt (arrive wed!) they were a bitch to find

Blueracer 05-01-2010 07:56 PM

the questions remains will I have to rejet them...
I had it Dyno rejetted last season with OEM (few drill holes) & dropped in a BMC filter.
Hope is doesn't need it ($$$)

residentg 05-02-2010 01:39 AM

You probably will have to - ride it first and see. The TBRs (real nice BTW!) flow better than stock pipes.

Blueracer 05-15-2010 07:05 AM

Guy I had the TBR installed they look/sound great. I am concerned the exhaust smell is little stronger than normal. I went for a 30min ride yesterday it kind of has a richer smell may be nothing - should I be concerned?

8541Hawk 05-15-2010 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Blueracer (Post 265921)
Guy I had the TBR installed they look/sound great. I am concerned the exhaust smell is little stronger than normal. I went for a 30min ride yesterday it kind of has a richer smell may be nothing - should I be concerned?

You're now up to asking the same question in 3 separate threads...... not good form.

Blueracer 05-15-2010 12:24 PM

true - my bad