SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Exhaust Choice (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/exhaust-choice-27315/)

Solo 01-04-2012 08:21 AM

Exhaust Choice

I bought a 98 VTR with D&D exhausts and I find them a bit too loud. What do you folks recommend and where do you find them? Most brands I look at on line don't show an application for the Super Hawk.

1971allchaos 01-04-2012 08:38 AM

D&D- Decibel Decimator
There are alot of options on this topic. Akrapovic, Yoshimura, Two Bro's, GPR.(Aluminum,Titanium,Carbon Fiber)..and OEM...
Yet you are the owner of a nearly a 1 ltr. bike..

There is maybe a few dbs of difference at idle between the lot... But anything above 3500 rpms those thoughts go to the waste side...
If you want a lower, exceptable sound.. OEM cans.
Some member out there is -die to scream "LOUD PIPES, HAVE SAVED MY LIFE".....

tomzxt 01-04-2012 08:49 AM

I had DnDs on mine when I first bought it. I live in a nice neighborhood with elderly people. To try to respect them since i ofter come in at 3am I changed my exhaust to Yoshimura pipes. They made a huge difference! They aren't silent like stock but not loud like the DnDs. They are a nice in between but closer to the quiet side.

oahu hawk 01-04-2012 10:27 AM

Yoshimuras sound great and are not excessively loud, a nice mellow sound...

2whltuner 01-04-2012 10:53 AM

I run Leo Vince "race cans" on my '98 VTR, at the local track here, they require a sound level of no greater than 94db @ 50ft @ redline, my VTR came in @ 91.2db with the mentioned "race cans", I believe that Leo Vince no longer offers the "race cans" but offer a system with quite core inserts that bring the sound level down even further.

klu 01-04-2012 11:21 AM

Earplugs.

8541Hawk 01-04-2012 11:35 AM

The Leo's that I have came with 3 different options for how loud you want them.

You can either run them straight through, a baffle that can be installed in the rear (or remove as it comes installed) and another one that can be run in the front of the can.

With both baffles installed they are as quiet as the stock set up, straight through they are nice and throaty.

Along with be very easy to set the sound level, they are extremely well made.

aja 01-04-2012 12:17 PM

I have staintunes and they sound like a raging ape if I get into it. The rest of the time they sound like an ape getting ready to rage, still loud but not too much.

woodsrider1 01-04-2012 12:47 PM

I have a like new set of stock cans with about fifty miles on them. I'll let them go for $200.

Solo 01-04-2012 12:56 PM

Exhaust Choice

Thanks, guys! I have been surfing the web for an hour or two and have pretty well decided on the Yosh Zyclones. There are only a few retailers that sell the ones that fit the VTR and they are not cheap (around $600.00 - Ouch!)

7moore7 01-04-2012 01:31 PM

Ebay son!

oahu hawk 01-04-2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Solo (Post 322122)
Thanks, guys! I have been surfing the web for an hour or two and have pretty well decided on the Yosh Zyclones. There are only a few retailers that sell the ones that fit the VTR and they are not cheap (around $600.00 - Ouch!)

Had a set of zyclones and sent them back to have the quiet baffle removed, just too quiet for my tastes...

COLE 01-04-2012 02:01 PM

my superhawk also had d&d's when bout it, i gave them away and put jard. 2 into 1 on there, less weight, more power, less noise= win

8541Hawk 01-04-2012 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by COLE (Post 322126)
my superhawk also had d&d's when bout it, i gave them away and put jard. 2 into 1 on there, less weight, more power, less noise= win

Very few 2-1 systems make more power than the 2-2 set up especially if it is a home made set up...... ;)

GlockPointer 01-04-2012 02:36 PM

Hell, I can't even figure out wich exhaust I have! I haven't seen it anywhere else. Wish I could post a pic. Sounds great tho, kinda loud.

Edit, I figured it out. SP Engineering low mount. They list them for the sp1 and 2, that's why I haven't seen them on the SuperHawk I guess. Good quality, maybe I should clamp them down?

captainchaos 01-04-2012 03:17 PM

Yeah the yoshimuras are the quietest aftermarkets. Another less expensive option is the do the bafflectomy on stock pipes. You can do it in several stages until you get the volume you're looking for. You can get the sound to range anywhere between stock and loud aftermarket depending on how much you remove from the cans.

scooter72 01-04-2012 05:32 PM

I have the yoshi's and I like them alot. They were a little too quiet and a tad too long for my liking, so I cut about 5" off then can, repacked with FMF race packing, and now they look good and sound great without being too obnoxious. I ride with a buddy with a D&D pipe on his F4i, and he actually thought it was too quiet!...so he chopped 6" off of it. That bike is insanely loud now. To each his own I guess!

smokinjoe73 01-04-2012 06:04 PM

How old are the "too loud" pipes? I had 2 bros for years and they get louder with age. I just repacked them and they are lower toned & better sounding now. The old packing was beat.

Wolverine 01-04-2012 06:18 PM

Solo, try and find another member w/ quieter aftermarket pipes and trade. A few months ago 4 members (me included) swapped pipes. All walked away happy. I now have tomzxt D&D's. I traded my carbon high mount Jardine's which were much quieter.

click me

scooter72 01-04-2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 322151)
How old are the "too loud" pipes? I had 2 bros for years and they get louder with age. I just repacked them and they are lower toned & better sounding now. The old packing was beat.

A good point indeed. Fresh packing makes a huge difference, just make sure that you use enough, or it'll burn out premature. Its cheap enough to try out, I paid 15 bucks per bag of the 4 stroke packing, they do make a premium one that is around 40 per bag.

Solo 01-04-2012 08:24 PM

Thanks again for everyone's imput. I don't know how old my D&Ds are, but when I bought a new set for another bike some years back I found them pretty loud. I have heard from others that the D&Ds just come that way. I have a friend who uses the Yosh pipes on her SV1000S and they sound wonderful. I followed that bike to Mexico and back and never got tired of the V-Twin music.

jibbs 01-05-2012 12:20 AM

Hello Solo,

I may be interested in those D & D's if you are selling them once you find your Yosh cans. Let me know,

Thanks,

Brian