SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Exhaust + Air Filter Combo (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/exhaust-air-filter-combo-25943/)

triplespeed 06-20-2011 02:31 PM

Exhaust + Air Filter Combo

I just installed a set of LeoVince SBK Evo II Dual Alum Slip-Ons and they look & sound great!

I ran with the "optional" quiet inserts for a few weeks, and they definitely gave the bike a deeper growl/rumble. Most recently, I removed the inserts and the bike really came alive! Definitely louder, but not terribly offensive (I have never heard the 2BR/Devil pipes for comparison purposes). In fact, the bike seems to rev more freely, and seems to have more power -- strictly a "seat of the pants" measurement.

I am noticing more popping and burbling on deceleration (all stock; no de-pair), so I am thinking about adding an aftermarket air filter to improve the flow. I have no desire to mess with the carb jets, and the bike is running well right now.

I have had positive experience in the past with Pipercross filters, but have also heard good things about BMC filters. Any thoughts/preferences here among the group?

AK Ronin 06-20-2011 02:59 PM

I've had my BMC filter for a little over a month now. Way more snap and greater response than anything I've felt from the superhawk. It also helped a lot when I had Backfiring issues too.

But when it comes down to the popping on decel, it's mainly got to do with your carbs. And be careful, because if you're running with aftermarket or performance pipes with the stock carbs, they may not like it very much and you won't be getting the power from the bike as you should be. I'm speaking from experience as I ran with Vance and Hines for two years with stock carbs, then when I switched to D&D's, I jetted them.
It's a difference like Night and Day.

Stephan 06-20-2011 11:39 PM

BMC filter significantly change air/fuel mix, after putting in, you will definitely need rejeting.

You can try to shim carb needles if you donīt want to rejet, it is described somewhere on forum.

My bike is on dyno now with Arrow full exhaust, and after BMC filter instalation bigger jets are needed.

triplespeed 06-21-2011 04:45 AM

Thanks all!

I may re-jet the carbs after all, but I am in no rush. No real driveability issues now (no stuttering, flat spots, etc). Just some minor popping on decel that I mentioned earlier in this thread, which I will not lose any sleep over...

The LeoVince pipes are advertised as "designed to run with stock jetting or fuel injection settings" -- and I believe them. Bike runs well with stock jetting, but I recognize that I can achieve better performance with a re-jet and free-flow air filter.

Will definitely consider BMC, although they sell two versions: standard and race. I am not a track-days rider, so I will probably go with the standard version. Cheers!

7moore7 06-21-2011 05:02 AM

The superhawk airbox is kind of finicky- you may find that you have more issues than performance with a non-stock filter. They've been tried and used successfully, but a lot of dyno testers end up going back to stock...