SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Engine Mods (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/engine-mods-14873/)

Hawk 996 05-21-2008 07:27 PM

Engine Mods

Ive got a 2000 Honda Superhawk it was my first real bike (the 88 kawi 250 dosent count) and i love it, ive had a 2001 CBR 929 (highsided=totaled) and recently bought a 2008 Yamaha R6, and i still cant bare to part with my baby...

ive got my eyes set on some body work from a guy named mario something or other, and ive talked to a shop about pulling more horsepower out of the engine, but i figured id get some ideas from fellow hawk enthusiasts.

Im not looking to make a drag bike or anything, but id like to make as much horsepower as possible without going too crazy like a turbo or nitrous, and im looking for suspension upgrades.

Priority is really the engine, how can i perk up this sleepy 99-110HP engine?
Im really willing to go all out with the motor, has anyone heard of any stroker kits? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Again!

superbling 05-21-2008 07:55 PM

Mario Nava.

From what I've gleaned from others before me, over 130hp and the motor will grenade (bottom end first). Typical mods are boosting compression, ignition advancer, cams, jet kits/filter, and pipes.

Great Brit site to get you started: http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk/

Hawkrider 05-21-2008 08:18 PM

I can help you out with suspension. PM me for more info.

Hawk 996 05-21-2008 11:15 PM

Mario Nava, Thats the guy, so im guessing im going to need different internals before i get it up to any really nasty horsepower levels...id like to see 150+

Im really looking more for ideas than to buy any parts right now, unless there is some amazing deal i just cant pass up...

hawxter996 05-22-2008 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hawk 996 (Post 165635)
Mario Nava, Thats the guy, so im guessing im going to need different internals before i get it up to any really nasty horsepower levels...id like to see 150+

Im really looking more for ideas than to buy any parts right now, unless there is some amazing deal i just cant pass up...

150 +?

buy a gixxer

autoteach 05-22-2008 06:02 AM

or a rc51 if you want a twin. start with something closer to what you want. The superhawk is exactly that. Wanting a "litre bike" from the hawk is asking too much.

autoteach 05-22-2008 06:08 AM

If you want it to be faster...
engine mods:
pistons
cams
port and polish head
valve job
lightened flywheel
blueprint engine (matching bearings to ideal specifications)
exhaust that can flow
jetting, lots of time to make up for all the changes

For the bike:
520 chain conversion
Lighter wheels, much lighter. gotta be forged Al or Mg or carbon fiber
Lighter body work
Stick to lower mileage tires (dot approved race work) less rubber, less inertia

Do the easy stuff first, then go after the major engine mods. If you are unhappy with the performance gains, that is. I think you would be surprised by the flywheel, wheels, tires, chain and sprocket, exhaust and jetting. These alone would make huge gains.

AZZKIKER 05-22-2008 06:17 AM

look at my signature.

cliby 05-22-2008 08:38 AM

or mine. a lot of work and time (and money) and netted 15-18hp overall and dropped around 30 pounds or so. Tons of torque everywhere, and I can't say I'd prefer the latest inline 4 over it, because I really like the power delivery of the bike. Going much beyond these mods opens up a bunch of new issues and problems to overcome (swingarm mount point, frame flex etc) that to me really cross the line into a full custom job and making a silk purse from a sows ear, or something like that.

434josh 06-06-2008 02:57 PM

is it possible to fit a RC51 engine into a sh frame?
I see rc mills for sale all the time.

Gregw 06-06-2008 03:12 PM

Anything's possible with the Jaws of Life.

divingindaytona 06-06-2008 08:57 PM

150hp

Three words 10-9-8

Seriously adding 50 horsepower is a huge jump for a car, let a lone a bike. It will take a lot of time and $ to get her to there. In my opinion not worth the time, money and effort.

shayne 07-20-2008 02:53 AM

My info is that after 130hp the cranks start to break. Moriwaki used to make a billet one for about $4500, but I think they are almost unobtainable now. If anyone could get you ne it would be Revolution Racing as Superbling posted up.

I think aiming for around 120hp would be a nice VTR, after that it is going to get to be a big excercise for you.

jordanv3122 07-21-2008 10:48 AM

and when you start with engine internals you are just cutting your hawks life short. spend your money on suspension if you hit up lots of corners. if you arent concerned with comfort it would cheaper to just buy a literbike like said above.