SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   EBC HH Brake Pads...affect on rotors? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/ebc-hh-brake-pads-affect-rotors-17072/)

VTRsurfer 12-28-2008 08:47 PM

EBC HH Brake Pads...affect on rotors?

I finally replaced my front pads last night at 24,246 miles, many of which are freeway miles. They still had about 1 mm remaining. I had bought EBC HH pads almost a year ago after reading threads about the improvement in performance over stock. I've taught Vocational Automotive Brake and Suspension classes for over 30 years, so I know a little about brakes. And I've done or supervised many thousands of brake repairs and pad and lining replacements. But I was pleasantly surprised at the dramatic difference in performance brought about by simply installing EBC pads.:D

I did a 140 mile break-in ride with my wife today (she was on her SV650S). Since I don't ride on the track, the stock brakes were adequate, but not great when pushed in the canyons. To me it felt like I'd installed Stainless lines. I even adjusted my lever 1 notch closer to the bar, and the touch is much lighter.

My question is...Has anyone noticed an increase in rotor wear with EBC HH pads? New rotors for a Honda Civic can be had for less than $15 each, but motorcycle rotors are priced through the roof. :(

jbaxx 12-28-2008 09:33 PM

Haven't noticed any abnormal wear on mine in about 4000 miles.

Galaxieman 12-28-2008 10:32 PM

HH pads and stainless lines were the most noticeable upgrade I've done to the bike until I finally replaced the fork springs. Very well worth it, and I haven't noticed any appreciable wear differences from the stock pads in some 20,000+ miles since I switched from stock. Didn't bother doing the rear pad with them, but then again I didn't go with a braided line back there either... Make sure you follow the 'bed-in' instructions and you should get many miles of much improved braking.

skokievtr 12-29-2008 06:25 AM

I think they eat rotors more than OE but the trade-off is worth it. Go with SS lines if you have not, and heavier rate springs unless your under 145#.

Its supply & demand $ wise, there are a lot more Civics on the road than VTRs, though a couple 3 other models use the same pads as the VTR.

I run SBS low-friction pads & a SS line on the rear brake. If your VTR is more than 5 years old, go with SS lines, including the clutch. The clutch fluid will bot turn black then too.

Letsrideinsc 12-10-2012 11:44 AM

New EBC HH pads Bed in issues, ok?

I installed a new set of front pads this weekend, along with a new rear Michelin Pilot Road 2 tire. My rotors are evenly worn without any grooves etc. Removed my Ferodo Sintered pads, replaced with these EBC HH ones. I had plenty of life remaining on the Ferodo's maybe put 10k on them, had to spread the caliper pistons a bit to fit the new pads but not much. Installed and went riding. Headed up the SC mountains and tried to bed these new pads and scrub the new tire. First off, the brakes were super grabby, I easily could have locked up the front end without much pressure, so I was very gentle for the first 20 miles or so. Got to a downhill section and proceeded to gingerly jam on the brakes as hard a possible all the way down to the ocean. Got the Hwy 1, took a peek at the rotors and it appeared that only the left rotor was being touched by the pads, WTF? I was thinking I needed to bleed the system on the right caliper, or oil the pistons to get them to move more freely again. (keep in mind, I have been doing these wet/muddy condition rides lately, lots of gunk still in the caliper without cleaning) I proceeded to go north in spurts of 120 mph down to 30 or so, got the front end to hop a few times under the hard braking, this thing is braking hard and wonderful! I go look again at the rotors and still there's like 50 % of the pad still isn't touching the rotor. Turned around did the same thing on the way home, 100mph to nearly 20 and over again, they are still not contacting 100% on the right side, maybe 75% contact now, over 120 miles and still not beded in..... I think by the end of today they should be ok. Anybody have this issue?

8541Hawk 12-10-2012 01:55 PM

I ran them for years before switching to the Veshra pads with no real noticeable increase in rotor wear. ;)