SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   E-bay find (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/e-bay-find-21636/)

ranchomice 02-24-2010 02:48 PM

E-bay find

Is this a good deal or what? Anybody have feedback on this exhaust? is it loud, is it quality, anybody getting burned without getting product?

Dnagmour 02-24-2010 03:25 PM

Yup, D&D, loud as hell w/decent build quality. Generally regarded as one of the loudest pipes. They sound good to me. You can buy 'em regularly for that price though. It's about as cheap as they get for a new set.

Little_Horse 02-24-2010 03:42 PM

My buddy springbubba has them on his hawk, they are loud but I like the sound of them. They have a good tone IMO. If loud bothers you though then these are not the pipes for you.

ranchomice 02-24-2010 03:47 PM

I think I will like loud. All I've done so far is drilled 3 holes (about 1/8") in my stock cans, they are really, really quiet.

Dnagmour 02-24-2010 04:14 PM

Give the full bafflectomy a try. I waited a long time before doing it. I was afraid I wouldn't like the sound. It's easy and sounds great. Trust me it's a HUGE improvement and best of all it's free. Worst case you buy the D&D's.

nath981 02-24-2010 04:23 PM

I don't know if you care about weight, but they will probably be about 10 lbs lighter than de-baffled stockers, and then you have the bling and a better sound.

toy4xchris 02-24-2010 05:06 PM

I had a set of d&d slip-ons on my last superhawk and they are Loud they have a nice tone but I would constantly get my buddy on his harley pulled over for loud pipes (when it was actually my bike) they are pretty well made I know after putting my bike down twice they got scuffed up but never broke or anything.

offroad_rider2008 02-24-2010 05:59 PM

was wondering how to do a baffle-ectomy? supposed to be easy? would like to see please

mikstr 02-24-2010 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by toy4xchris (Post 255191)
I would constantly get my buddy on his harley pulled over for loud pipes (when it was actually my bike)

oh well, serves him right for riding a paint-mixer, lol

nath981 02-24-2010 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by offroad_rider2008 (Post 255199)
was wondering how to do a baffle-ectomy? supposed to be easy? would like to see please

not hard, but takes a little patience. I believe if you look on www.superhawk.net you'll find the answer you need. I did mine in stages to make sure it didn't end up louder than I wanted. I ended up with what I call a partial bafflectomy, meaning I removed the stainless ring that holds the center of the pipe in and then removed the pipe sticking out of the middle. I left the other two baffles inside the pipe-you can look inside and see them. Sounds healthy but i always wear earplugs no matter how quiet or loud the bike.

There's welds holding the baffle on the inside, so you have to beat it out or do like i did and keep moving it up and down until it left go.

maniac2313 02-24-2010 07:03 PM

i have these on my hawk and i love them i think they sound great they are loud though...

captainchaos 02-24-2010 07:25 PM

I think D&D's are pretty nice pipes, and are well made. They're on the louder end of the scale. You just have to keep the chrome midpipes, inlets and endcaps clean or they'll eventually start to rust.

Do the bafflectomy like nath said, in stages. That way you get the sound you want. I've done a few and eventually went as far as nath said, plus I bought a super long drill bit and drilled a bunch of holes into the next baffle in as well. If you want a noise level similar to an aftermarket set of pipes that'll do it. Like he said you should be wearing earplugs anyway-you won't fatigue as fast and you'll also save your hearing. They cancel all the wind noise out and you just get the lovely sound of the exhaust on a much lower volume. Only took me a ride or two to get used to wearing them.

One other point, be careful if you start beating on anything inside the pipe to get anything loose as you can dent the outer skin of the can if you're not careful.

mikstr 02-26-2010 07:44 AM

cheaper and arguably better:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...Q5fAccessories

offroad_rider2008 02-26-2010 08:51 AM

thanks nath, and captain, I'll have to try it.
there goes the neighborhood, lol

bjorn toulouse 02-26-2010 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by toy4xchris (Post 255191)

I know after putting my bike down twice..................

Do you mean you crashed, or you dumped the bike on purpose? :confused:

Rex

stebbdt 02-26-2010 01:53 PM

Been thinking about these for awhile, I've got mids that'll fit 'em right on.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Bearshawk 03-02-2010 07:14 PM

i have the D+Ds on my bike and ABSOLUTELY love the sound the hum of my twin puts me into a state of extacy every time i start it up... great pipes