SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   dynojet kit (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/dynojet-kit-16064/)

Death Cattle 09-06-2008 10:36 PM

dynojet kit

ill soon be purchasing jardine hight mounts from a friendly forum member, and i will proceed with purchasing a new k&n air filter and a dynojet kit in an attempt to pump up the performance of my bike ever so slightly. this may be a dumb question, but i just dont know as much about street bikes as i do dirt bikes. do you have to take the carbs out of the superhawk to install a jet kit? if not, is it worth it to keep the carbs in the bike while installing the jet kit? thanks guys.

killer5280 09-06-2008 10:49 PM

You gotta take them out.

Death Cattle 09-06-2008 10:54 PM

ok, thanks. i just thought it would be nice to know before i started the process.

RK1 09-06-2008 10:54 PM

You must pull the carbs to install a jet kit. If it was me, I'd install the cans and see how it ran first. Past that, I'd lift the carbs up off the manifolds so I could access the vacuum chambers and shim the needles (no need to detach everything else from the carbs).

Even if I was doing a full rejet, I'd stay with the original air filter.

Death Cattle 09-07-2008 12:04 AM

im going to get a k&n OEM filter replacement. its what dynojet suggest for a filter anyways. ill definitely be throwing the cans on first. if i can save the money of not having to rejet then i will. im probably going to remove the PAIR as well, so i might just end up doing it all anyway. we'll see though. thanks.

RK1 09-07-2008 12:42 AM

I've got no experience with the K&N on the VTR. I do have cans, dynojet kit and tried the BMC filter before going back to the oem one.

Based on stuff I've read on old threads I'd guess you can install cans without rejetting or at most a needle shim, but if you go with the K&N you'll pretty sure need to rejet and be lucky if you get it right the first time.

Death Cattle 09-07-2008 09:00 AM

ill keep that in mind, i just have some mulling and research to do. but like i said, im definitely going to put the cans on first and see how it rides before i do anything else.

RK1 09-07-2008 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Death Cattle (Post 179997)
ill keep that in mind, i just have some mulling and research to do. but like i said, im definitely going to put the cans on first and see how it rides before i do anything else.

That's the smart way to go, one step at a time. It seems to me that unless you install a full exhaust system, or MAYBE race baffle cans, you probably don't need to rejet. Maybe shim the needles for throttle response.

I know ten years ago, when people (like Erion Racing) were building 130-150 horse power VTR racers, they reported than NONE of the aftermarket airfilters they tried (K&N, BMC, BMC Race etc.) helped to make any more power than the OEM one.

Death Cattle 09-07-2008 09:55 AM

thats good to know. also, i would only replace the air filter if was going to rejet, or if i crack it open and find that the one already in there is in bad condition.

salmanilla2000 10-02-2008 01:39 PM

Speaking of Dynojet, I saw this Dynojet Power Commander 3 USB, but I thought this item was not compatible because the VTR was not fuel injected. Can someone clear this up?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...awk-Parts.aspx

Little_Horse 10-02-2008 02:18 PM

thats got to be a mistake, no superhawks were ever fuel injected from the factory, their website is wrong

Gerrit 10-17-2008 07:28 AM

U wanna check this out.

http://www.flo-commander.com/

Ordered me one, installed it and the bike goes like never before. The big bonus is you can adjust the unit to suit conditions without having to swop jets. Just the Turn of a screw on the side of the airbox, and the bike is richer or leaner.

Believe me it works.
Gerrit

Letsrideinsc 10-17-2008 10:24 AM

Interested in pics of the install. Has it solved the dreaded hiccup.

Blue Ridge Boy 10-17-2008 10:39 AM

The DynoJet Jet Kits are pieces of crap. Ask any experienced mechanic and they will agree. The Flo-Commanders are very nice. I've been looking into one for awhile now. Everyone I know that has one loves it.

...I'd say throw the cans on...but leave the carbs the way they are.

Pimpsterbim1 10-17-2008 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gerritdlr (Post 185620)
U wanna check this out.

http://www.flo-commander.com/

Ordered me one, installed it and the bike goes like never before. The big bonus is you can adjust the unit to suit conditions without having to swop jets. Just the Turn of a screw on the side of the airbox, and the bike is richer or leaner.

Believe me it works.
Gerrit

I guess i dont get it.. is it basicly an alturnitive to a jetkit, w/ easier tunning..

+1 on install

smokinjoe73 10-17-2008 12:18 PM

anyone else try one of these? Why does it look like its drawing air through a straw? How hard is installation/ adjustment & what specific changes? Just wondering

salmanilla2000 10-17-2008 12:53 PM

So can you use a Factory Jet Kit Stage 3 AND a Flo-Commander on VTR?

hawxter996 10-18-2008 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Boy (Post 185658)
The DynoJet Jet Kits are pieces of crap. Ask any experienced mechanic and they will agree. The Flo-Commanders are very nice. I've been looking into one for awhile now. Everyone I know that has one loves it.

the dynojet kit is just fine.
have one on my superchicken,in fact ive had one on all my other bikes.
well except my hawk gt that was the hrc kit.
ive found small adjustments make a big difference with the enrichment screws.

Wolverine 10-18-2008 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Boy (Post 185658)
The DynoJet Jet Kits are pieces of crap.

I disagree and agree. I bought the DynoJet kit for my Hawk GT, installed it myself. It ran damn near close to perfect with their recommended settings. I put on Muzzy slip-on and it didn't change much with how the bike ran. When I put the K&N in, she ran like crap. Totally leaned out the motor. Put the jet kit in and it was running as close to perfect as I could ask for. I also had the DynoJet kit in my first bike, a 90 ZX-6 Ninja. It had individual K&N's on each carb. The shop did all the work then. Carburation was spot on. I remember well :eek:, being 17 and having a total screamer for a 1st street bike.

+1 on runnin' without re-jetting. I installed my Jardines without any changes and the SHawk runs great.

Blue Ridge Boy 10-18-2008 06:42 AM

I had the DynoJet Kit in my SH. I thought it ran great until one of the mechanics at my shop (has been working on Honda's for over 50 years) told me to let him rework my carbs. I gave him the bike...and when I got it back...he handed me the jet kit that had been installed and told me not to worry. I hopped on my bike and DAMN...it was soooo much better. No jet kit....BMC filter....Two Bros. exhaust. Not sure what all he did...but it can be done without a jet kit. It just takes the right mechanic who knows every little thing about bikes.

armyguy8381 10-18-2008 10:45 AM

I had my local guy keep y bike for three days. SHe screams like a raped ape. Pushes 125 HP on the Dyno and 75 FT lbs of torque after 3200 RPM constant. It is retarded the amount of power she produces...

scarface 10-18-2008 11:00 AM

I wish there was a mechanic like that in my area :( My SH runs like crap.

Death Cattle 10-18-2008 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by armyguy8381 (Post 185764)
I had my local guy keep y bike for three days. SHe screams like a raped ape. Pushes 125 HP on the Dyno and 75 FT lbs of torque after 3200 RPM constant. It is retarded the amount of power she produces...

how much did the guy charge you? thats pretty awesome.

mikstr 10-19-2008 07:23 AM

"I had my local guy keep y bike for three days. SHe screams like a raped ape. Pushes 125 HP on the Dyno and 75 FT lbs of torque after 3200 RPM constant. It is retarded the amount of power she produces..."

he did a whole lot more than just install a jet kit to get that kind of power out of a VTR...

Syclone 10-19-2008 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 185819)
he did a whole lot more than just install a jet kit to get that kind of power out of a VTR...

That was my first thought. Sorry, but dyno slips or I call BS.

Wicky 10-19-2008 08:06 AM

Have you a dyno print-out (like below) from after the tune up?

http://homepage.mac.com/spaderunner/filechute/dyno1.gif

Originally Posted by armyguy8381 (Post 185764)

Death Cattle 10-19-2008 12:38 PM

i agree. it would help it with all of our suspicions.

armyguy8381 10-19-2008 12:55 PM

Ok Ok Ok.... I will find my Dyno slips.. Just need to rememeber which foot locker I put them in. As soon as I find my dyno slip i will post on here... I also have a K&N air filter a full TB exhaust. I really need to check the CCT's cause I'm not sure if they have ever been replaced... Hey does the front on go out from lack of oil from doing wheelies? I know it sounds stupid but I normally hang em for a mile or better... Is this not good for the CCT in the front cyclinder? Please advise and I'm getting to that Dyno slip.

Death Cattle 10-19-2008 12:57 PM

also, if you could, would be able to post what mods the mechanic did. im very interested now. thanks

Wicky 10-19-2008 01:17 PM

Racing Storm/Hawk Race Specification for soft tune to 135bhp (for UK wet weather and tractibility)

http://www.moonpie.co.uk/body_vtr_specification.html

http://www.moonpie.co.uk/vtr.jpg

Full factory stage 2 Moriwaki Superbike Engine including modified radiators(x3), undercut racing sump, oil cooler, carbs, ramair, crankcases and clutch. (Pictures - Sump)
Moriwaki CV carburettors (Picture)
Honda CBR600 kit fuel pump
Stage 2 hand made Moriwaki exhaust system with titanium 'Zero' silencers. (Picture)
Moriwaki Carbon fibre airbox with carbon fibre ram air tubes (Picture - Airbox, Scoops)