SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Doing a 08 1000rr front end swap...got some issues. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/doing-08-1000rr-front-end-swap-got-some-issues-24454/)

scooter72 12-29-2010 09:22 AM

Doing a 08 1000rr front end swap...got some issues.

I just picked up my 08 1000rr front end, got the entire assembly, w/brakes,wheel and triples, and now i need to figure out some things that maybe you guys can help me out with.
1-triples are different, which I knew, but they are also 10mm narrower than the 07's from what I've read, but I'm not 100% sure without some verifying this.
2-If they are, I was going to use 929/954 triples, which are 3mm narrower than 04-07 1000rr's, which would mean that the 954's would still be 7mm wider than the stock setup. This would require wheel spacers from a 954, but will the radial calipers have issues now with this extra 3.5mm of space or would i need to space the rotors out to compensate for it?
3-I have a friend who is a machinist, and the only other option is to make another steering stem and a reducer for the upper triple mounting nut hole to fit the 08 triples that will use the stock SH bearing dimensions. Has anyone pressed apart the stem from the lower triple or will damage occur by doing this?

If anybody can post the center to center widths of the 954/1000rr triples that would be great. I really want to make this work, because this is a amazing front end. The weight is unreal and the brakes are awesome,not to mention the black fork tubes look killer. As I make my way though this swap I will be adding info to the Swap Guide as I think I'm the only one who's trying to use 08 and up components as of now.

Thanks!

lazn 12-29-2010 09:52 AM

I would consider calling allballs to see if they can just send you a set of steering head bearings that will let you use your 08 triples. (as can be done with GSXR triples, wish I had figured that out when I was doing my swap)

If that isn't possible, then you may run into issues with the rotor spacing since the rotors will be quite off center of the calipers. (some is fine, 3.5mm a side I don't know) But the solution to that would be to space the rotors off the wheel.

scooter72 12-29-2010 10:37 AM

I thought about the bearings, couldnt seem to find anything that would work on Allballs fork conversion charts.(2008 uses 35/55/14mm bearings top and bottom, stock SH/954/1000rr is 26/47/17mm top and 30/55/17mm bottom) The bottom bearing would work, but the trouble is finding an upper that will fit. I'm gonna send them an email to see if there is something that i may have missed. The caliper spacing does seem like alot, and I'm already looking into some spacers for the rotors that would work.

Tweety 12-29-2010 07:26 PM

Actually, the measured width of the 929/954 vs 1000RR triples are posted on the forum, you should be able to find them using search...

Well... 3.5 mm of on the rotors... Neaahhh... Nope, not good, spacers are probably needed... Same goes for the axle spacers... Not good...

But I'm more worried about the fact that the top triple is flat on the newer CBR's... Not a good idea with the short forks... So using the 08 triple tree might not be a good idea...

Tweety 12-29-2010 07:44 PM

Ok, I got bored and looked at my old measurements... The 929/954/RC triples are all 214 mm center to center... According to several sources the 08 CBR's are 204 mm C-C... I have a 07 triple on a shelf somewhere, I'll confirm the measurement on that once I have the time to look for it...

scooter72 12-29-2010 08:23 PM

Yep, 2008 triples are 204mm C-C, but they aren't exactly flat though, they do still have a gullwing shape, but it does seem less than the 954's. I was looking at the front end and just now and i was wondering if rotor offset is different on the 06-07 CBR's with radial calipers, which might help with my width problems, at least to get it a little closer to center in the calipers without having to use spacers. Looking at the parts fiche for both years it they do look different, but i need to see one up close or have a measurement to be certain.

nuhawk 12-29-2010 09:27 PM

Our forum admin did a complete transplant like you are planning. I think after the dust settled he did a "white paper" on the project. Maybe one of the forum mods can help you find it. Remember you cannot search the knowledge base for "1000rr". I think you have to search for the phrase "CBR 1000RR Front End".

After he gathered all the parts I think things went well for him but he did have some tuning problems after assembly. These adjustments are possibly the most important part of the transplant. I'm almost positive they are included with his write-up.

Unfortunately, Hawkrider, is underway on the GHW Bush aircraft carrier and cannot sign on much and only briefly at that.

I wouldn't rush into anything too fast until you can get your computer fixed. I know how it feels. My workstation crashed last summer and it's backup crashed ten days after deployment.

Good Luck!

Tweety 12-30-2010 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by scooter72 (Post 289528)
Yep, 2008 triples are 204mm C-C, but they aren't exactly flat though, they do still have a gullwing shape, but it does seem less than the 954's. I was looking at the front end and just now and i was wondering if rotor offset is different on the 06-07 CBR's with radial calipers, which might help with my width problems, at least to get it a little closer to center in the calipers without having to use spacers. Looking at the parts fiche for both years it they do look different, but i need to see one up close or have a measurement to be certain.

Well... How about a trade... You go confim the measuremeents on the parts you have and I'll confirm them on mine... ;)

What is the gullwing height on the 08's? What is the free lenght of the 08 fork legs? (measure the cap to center of the axle hole while the leg is on the bench)...

It'll take me afew days since the bike is in winter storage and that's kind of snowed in (snowdrifts twice my height)...

98VTRrider 12-30-2010 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by scooter72 (Post 289528)

What measurements do you need off the 2007 front end? ...I can look at my '07 front end and check it for you later.

Tweety 12-30-2010 07:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 98VTRrider (Post 289546)
What measurements do you need off the 2007 front end? ...I can look at my '07 front end and check it for you later.

I started putting a spreadsheet together, since this keeps popping up... Could you fill out some of it?

lazn 12-30-2010 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by scooter72 (Post 289496)
I thought about the bearings, couldnt seem to find anything that would work on Allballs fork conversion charts.(2008 uses 35/55/14mm bearings top and bottom, stock SH/954/1000rr is 26/47/17mm top and 30/55/17mm bottom) The bottom bearing would work, but the trouble is finding an upper that will fit. I'm gonna send them an email to see if there is something that i may have missed. The caliper spacing does seem like alot, and I'm already looking into some spacers for the rotors that would work.

That is why I suggested calling them.. Erik did and was able to get a custom machined top steering head bearing for his GSXR triple: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...6&postcount=63

I was convinced this wasn't possible, but he proved me wrong if you go back in that thread and read it.. lol

8541Hawk 12-30-2010 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 289549)
I started putting a spreadsheet together, since this keeps popping up... Could you fill out some of it?

Let me know if you need more of the RC51 data, I can go out and measure it if no one has it handy.

Tweety 12-30-2010 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 289566)
Let me know if you need more of the RC51 data, I can go out and measure it if no one has it handy.

That would probably be helpful... Plus you migth be able to point out a few more useful measurements that I forgot... That one was a 2 minute brainfart, so it's far from complete...

Tweety 12-30-2010 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Updated the spreadsheet a little adding stuff and adding a few more headings...

Just to get more people involved... Stuff in red boxes are unconfirmed/internet rumour/whatever and shouldn't be trusted as gospel until confirmed... Stuff in yellow boxes are unconfirmed but from multiple correlating sources... Stuff in green boxes are confirmed, ie either I measured it myself or "official" sources, or again multiple sources, but form people I trust...

Everbody, feel free to confirm measurements, or point out any error, or ask some field be added... But please, ask first if you arent 500% sure that your are measuring the same way, since erroneous measurements are just creating confusion...