SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   dirty carbs/jets? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/dirty-carbs-jets-23836/)

havoc7685 09-22-2010 02:14 PM

dirty carbs/jets?

I know you've guys have missed me an my mind numbing post so I got a question lmao ;)
I've thought my power loss was due to me changing my sprocket size(now at 16-43) but recently on a whim I put some stp carb cleaner in my gas(I always use 93 octain) an now I'm getting small short burst of power out of no were, then just as quick as it came its gone. I can't seem to find a pattern or that it happens at certain rpms or anything like that it happens anywere from 1st to 6th gear, an at any rpm. So wondering dirty carbs, jets?

saige 09-22-2010 02:23 PM

what up havoc,question 1.does your carbs have a jet kit or stock.2.do you have gas filters on the gas lines,and why use a high octane,my opinion,its waste of money,superhawks have low compression,89 octane is plenty enough.

havoc7685 09-22-2010 02:30 PM

Hay bro how's you? Honestly I have no idea about jet kit the PO did a bunch of things to the bike I'm just fibnding out so it possible. O there's no filter on the lkines. An as far as for the gas I just thought it was the best route to go just a guess really. I had no reason for that lol. I've actuly found a gas station by my house that has 101 octain an have bein thinking about filling up withat an given it a try

8541Hawk 09-22-2010 02:35 PM

Well it does sound like time to pull the carbs. Besides the jets make sure you check the side diaphragms to make sure you don't have a pin hole in one of them as that would also cause the problem you are describing.

In any case I would start by getting the carbs cleaned and checked. It would also be a good time to set the TPS if you haven't done it yet.

8541Hawk 09-22-2010 02:37 PM

Also there is no need for the high octane fuel, in fact mine idles better on 87 and makes the same power everywhere else ..... ;)

havoc7685 09-22-2010 02:43 PM

Lol fun ignorance time. What is a TPS?

saige 09-22-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 281903)
Also there is no need for the high octane fuel, in fact mine idles better on 87 and makes the same power everywhere else ..... ;)

++1

lol i have funny feeling about this thread........
i kinda understand what the tps does but i cant answer that one.i leave that to someone who knows about it.
i have been doing ok,i went to change my front sprocket and ended up with doing my slave cylinder and such :eek:
any how,after cleaning carbs and such,dont forget to sync them up.im gonna make a home made sync kit in the next couple of days.so once i figure all that out.ill fill you in on doing that yourself.it doesnt sound to hard.
ohhhhh and the gas thing,save your money and dont go higher than 89oct,run a tank thru and afterwards,you should see a difference,i did same thing when i first got bike and stepped down to 89 and its smooth now.

havoc7685 09-22-2010 03:36 PM

I have a funny feeling about all my threades bro why should this be any different lmao I won't do carbs myself probly take it to the shop 365$ gone lol

saige 09-22-2010 04:25 PM

holy crap,395 bucks just to do carbs,you know what you can do to your bike for 400 bucks.dam,to bad you dont live closer,i would just help you out with that stuff.
go to lower octane,89 being the highest and get seafoam from discount auto parts,put 3oz in a full gas tank,get a cough medicine cup that reads oz.put 3 1/2 oz. at most.it will clean it some.and than we go from there.

havoc7685 09-22-2010 04:33 PM

There's just no way I cld do it on my own that's just advanced for me. An its my daily driver. Its actully the only vehical I own lol. If its possible to do it in a day an you can do it for less saige I,ll ride down to you probly wouldn't b for another month or so

8541Hawk 09-22-2010 05:06 PM

Well I'm too far away to help but that is pretty steep.

Are you comfortable with at least taking the cover off the air box?

If so I can tell you how to check the slides before you take the carbs off. That way you can order some before you take the carbs apart. That is if you can find someone to "volunteer" to help out. It really isn't all that hard. ;)

saige 09-22-2010 05:09 PM

that wouldnt be a problem,we could work something out,but in mean time,drop your octane and run some seafoam thru it.it will help with some of that grunge,i got your number,i will txt or call soon in future and get some details of bike from you.

havoc7685 09-22-2010 05:12 PM

Yes I can get to the airbox that's how I found out I was missing my air funnels. Are the slides the 2 metal disk in the top of the carbs? I can pay just not at the moment an I dnt like asking for free help like that lol just a peev I suppose one of my very very few.

havoc7685 09-22-2010 05:19 PM

Alright sounds good saige thanx. An thanx also hawk

8541Hawk 09-23-2010 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by havoc7685 (Post 281932)
Yes I can get to the airbox that's how I found out I was missing my air funnels. Are the slides the 2 metal disk in the top of the carbs? I can pay just not at the moment an I dnt like asking for free help like that lol just a peev I suppose one of my very very few.

Well I really didn't mean it that way, just suggesting that you might be able to find a local list member that might be willing to help out. I know there are a few in FL just don't know if any are close to you.

Anyways, to check out the carb slides, (they are actually plastic) what you want to do is push one of the "disks" open. When you push it open you should hear air being pushed out. Then let it go. If it just falls closed, it is damaged. It should have a little resistance when it closes and you should also hear it draw air in while it closes. Then check the other slide for the same thing.

If one or both of the slides just slam closed, it might be time to replace them. I say might because sometimes they are installed wrong and can be reinstalled and work fine. Other times they can be pinched and\or torn.

Also check the small foam sub filters inside of the air box to make sure that they are in place, clean and in good condition. This is where the carbs draw air for the diaphragms to move. So you do need them and then do need to be cleaned or replaced from time to time.