SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Custom exhaust brackets for highmount cans (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/custom-exhaust-brackets-highmount-cans-25144/)

Shawn Torpey 04-06-2011 03:55 PM

Custom exhaust brackets for highmount cans

4 Attachment(s)
Well I tried searching those words before I started this project and came up dry, so I figured I would post something when I was done in case someone else is in the same pickle and searching for an idea. I have Staintune highmount cans and because of the spacers you have to use to relocate the passenger peg bracket, the heel of my left foot would hit the bracket and push my toe into the asphalt at the track before my knee. Left turns were almost scary. First I bought some new Gilles rearsets and although they are great, they didn't help the problem So I had two choices buy new cans($) or save some cash and make new brackets that fit a little tighter. I worked on them on and off an hour here and there over the winter and the same day I was ready to take them over my neighbor's to weld them up, I saw the perfect track exhaust for sale on this forum that would have saved me some work, but I was already commited and hey it was fun. Haven't been to the track yet but they seem to work great on the street. I bent the pieces with a homemade pipe bender made with an alternator pulley. Hope this helps somebody!!

hondavtr1000sp2 04-06-2011 10:10 PM

Nice job.

Shawn Torpey 04-07-2011 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2 (Post 298143)
Nice job.

Thanks

fred 04-08-2011 06:17 PM

i love homemade stuff that looks like it was high-quality factory product. did you do the left side???
that reminds me. i gotta get some heat-tape to wrap the right pipe. i've not had this Staintuned bike on the road for a long time and i don't wanna melt the right heal off my Alpinestar boots!

lazn 04-08-2011 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2 (Post 298143)
Nice job.

+1

Shawn Torpey 04-12-2011 04:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by fred (Post 298372)
i love homemade stuff that looks like it was high-quality factory product. did you do the left side???
that reminds me. i gotta get some heat-tape to wrap the right pipe. i've not had this Staintuned bike on the road for a long time and i don't wanna melt the right heal off my Alpinestar boots!

Why buy it if you can make it I always say. Here's some pics of a homemade rear stand I made (Used a buddy's hydraulic pipe bender for that), the left side and my homemade track transport system. In fact Monday was my first track day and the brackets worked great, plenty of foot room. As for the heat tape, thats the main reason I wrapped 'em. I got tired of lookin at black marks all up the side of the pipe, though I've always liked the look of wrapped pipes, looks fast!!

05xman 04-12-2011 06:34 PM

That looks awesome. If you ever decide to sell that exhaust I am calling dibs right now.

fred 04-12-2011 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn Torpey (Post 298825)
Why buy it if you can make it I always say. Here's some pics of a homemade rear stand I made (Used a buddy's hydraulic pipe bender for that), the left side and my homemade track transport system. In fact Monday was my first track day and the brackets worked great, plenty of foot room. As for the heat tape, thats the main reason I wrapped 'em. I got tired of lookin at black marks all up the side of the pipe, though I've always liked the look of wrapped pipes, looks fast!!

at the risk of repeating myself... i'm speechless :-) you've done a fantastic job on the brackets and your rear-stand puts my Pit-Bull to shame! i *finally* got my bike put together with all the body work (i forgot how much fun it is to put the plastic on the bike). i've been too busy this week to track down heat tape. after getting everything on, i took it for a test ride wearing old sneakers. tomorrow morning it becomes my new commuting bike and i gotta get something by this weekend to shield my heels from the pipes.

a Staintune specific question. i know this is not an issue when racing, but riding through my neighborhood and on city streets i'm Very aware of how f**king loud these pipes are. unfortunately, i can't stand the way the pipes sound with the restrictors in them. they give the Staintunes a tinny, unappealing tone in my opinion. also, i have the carbs set up to run very well with the open pipes.

i have evil thoughts about modifying the restrictors so that they are, well, less restrictive. but i'm worried that i'll end up with something that whistles and is almost as loud.

have you, or anyone reading this, worked out a way to calm the noise down on these things that you are happy with?

thanks,

--fred

Shawn Torpey 04-14-2011 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 05xman (Post 298831)
That looks awesome. If you ever decide to sell that exhaust I am calling dibs right now.

No plans on selling, but I'll keep u in mind if I ever do

Shawn Torpey 04-14-2011 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by fred (Post 298835)
at the risk of repeating myself... i'm speechless :-) you've done a fantastic job on the brackets and your rear-stand puts my Pit-Bull to shame! i *finally* got my bike put together with all the body work (i forgot how much fun it is to put the plastic on the bike). i've been too busy this week to track down heat tape. after getting everything on, i took it for a test ride wearing old sneakers. tomorrow morning it becomes my new commuting bike and i gotta get something by this weekend to shield my heels from the pipes.

a Staintune specific question. i know this is not an issue when racing, but riding through my neighborhood and on city streets i'm Very aware of how f**king loud these pipes are. unfortunately, i can't stand the way the pipes sound with the restrictors in them. they give the Staintunes a tinny, unappealing tone in my opinion. also, i have the carbs set up to run very well with the open pipes.

i have evil thoughts about modifying the restrictors so that they are, well, less restrictive. but i'm worried that i'll end up with something that whistles and is almost as loud.

have you, or anyone reading this, worked out a way to calm the noise down on these things that you are happy with?

thanks,

--fred

Thanks for the compliments!! As far as your restrictors are concerned, if you like the sound better without em, then if they dont sound that great after modifying them you really haven't lost anything since you were not using them anyway. I say give it a shot. I know harley guys sometimes drill a hole in the bottom of their straight pipes then place an eyebolt inside the pipe and bolt it through the hole. This is supposed to give you back some of the backpressure lost when switching to straight pipes, but I think it also quiets them down a lil bit too. You could maybe place an eyebolt, through the lil bolt hole that holds down the restrictor in the pipe tip, with two nuts on the eyebolt to hold it in place. I don't really know if this will do anything, but eyebolts are cheap enough at Sears, its worth a shot.

fred 04-15-2011 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shawn Torpey (Post 298988)
<snip> You could maybe place an eyebolt, through the lil bolt hole that holds down the restrictor in the pipe tip, with two nuts on the eyebolt to hold it in place. I don't really know if this will do anything, but eyebolts are cheap enough at Sears, its worth a shot.

that sounds like it might actually do the trick. and it is definitely worth a shot. i'll try it out. if i get results i like maybe i'll drill and tap through the cut bottom of the bolt and use the original screw to seat it. thanks!

-f

lukenukem47 04-18-2011 11:15 AM

not too shabby!