SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Cooling Modification. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/cooling-modification-14079/)

darylward 03-19-2008 09:02 AM

Cooling Modification.

This is a 2 part question. I am trying to cool my SH better.

I know there are several posts on cooling but could not find the following.

1. I was Wondering if anyone had ever used the Air scoops for the Superhawk from http://shop.durbahn.de ?

2. Has any one added a fan to the Left side Radiator?

Most of my High temps are from Stopped in traffic. I Live in Central Florida and it can get Hot Hot Hot sitting in traffic on I-4 in the middle of the day. The temps easily breaks over 100+ deg.

I figured i would ask before I try.

FL02SupaHawk996 03-19-2008 09:29 AM

Daryl, I live in FL too (Lithia) and I see 218 sitting in traffic all the time, but it normally runs around the 180s while hammering down the road...

I don't think scoops would help much if you're sitting and unless you're boiling over or seeing temps above say 220 you probably don't need another fan...

How hot is she running?

8541Hawk 03-19-2008 09:41 AM

Also the air flows in around the front wheel and out through the radiators, so putting scoops on would be a bad thing IMHO.

mikstr 03-19-2008 09:51 AM

I installed a larger oil cooler (from RC51, twice the cooling area, needs slight modding though) and run Engine Ice (with Water Wetter) in it. DEspite the internal mods (cams, decked heads), it seems to run cooler.

VTR69 03-19-2008 10:31 AM

Moriwaki used to make a little 3rd radiator that sits in front of the engine in line/between your main radiatiors. I saw a picture of it on a VTR built for racing by Big Valley Honda of Reno, NV. They might be a place to start looking for a cooling answer....later that same post.. Just spoke with Big Valley Honda and that part has been long since discontinued by Moriwaki but they said it was an effective item on their race bike and that you could fabricate one (easy for them to say !)

darylward 03-19-2008 10:48 AM

Well,

The fan and fan shroud were broken and I know they were not operating at 100%. I did purchase the bike used. The bike has no indication of ever being dropped. Well, no indication is was a rolling drop. The previous owner may of just dropped it.

I hate idiot lights and gauges so my next purchase I am going to look for good temp gauge i can install. But on my stock temp gauge it will normally sit 1/2 way above the 1/2 way mark and the next tick at highway speeds. But when I am sitting in traffic the gauge will just reach the red mark or above. Once this happens I will shut down the bike until traffic starts rolling again.

Currently my bike is tore down. I have purchased new radiators, fan and shroud, pulling the dents out of the exhaust, will coat and wrap the exhaust, and thinking of trying the Pair System Removal. Hopefully this will help. I want to do everything I can now before the bike is back together and do not want to have to tear it down again.

As alway. I always appreciate your feedback.

divingindaytona 03-19-2008 12:34 PM

When I lived in florida, (2 years ago) I never had any problem with overheating. Even in heavy traffic (bikeweek, biketoberfest, daytona 500) I didn't have any problem. I have seen 212, and 220 on the guage a few times, but the fan disperses the heat quickly.

Also if I recall correctly, the fan works the opposit of other manufacturs. The fan pulls in air vs pushing it out. Something to consider.

For the pair system, its easy to remove. You can just reverse the reed valves, and that takes care of the popping.

darylward 03-19-2008 12:54 PM

I am reading mixed reviews on he pair system fix. I know this is an entire thread in its self. but some say it will help you bike run cooler. some say it does not. about the only thing i see that is consistent is eliminating the popping.

I will have have see what the bike does once I am back up and running. the previous owner jacked up a few things and I am having to pay for them. Cut and opened the air box. Drilled the jets. and now i do not remember which direction the fan was running.

skokievtr 03-19-2008 01:57 PM

Size matters, both positively and negatively. We all want power! But Scotty needs a another or bigger warp drive heat exchanger unit then. I don't race in the desert. I'd like to but I'd like to do Mad Sunday at the IOM TT. Probably never will. Never been thru Death Valley on a VTR but at speed versus idling in front of the Park Ranger's gumball machine are 2 different things. Piffffff I don't do traffic in leathers and having or not the PAIR sys means nothing in the greater scheme of things. Cooling ducts and longer fairing reverse NACA exhausts will help but in traffic there is no substitute for cc's (ci's) both for hp and heat exchanger area. BIGGER is BETTER and forget about drag at our speeds...