SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Chain n sprocket Q's (Tight ass Brit) (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/chain-n-sprocket-qs-tight-ass-brit-24120/)

Snoogle 10-29-2010 02:00 PM

Chain n sprocket Q's (Tight ass Brit)

Well this starts off quite sad as my mate broken his bike and doesnt want to put it back on the road....99 Firestorm lots of tasty extras.....

He recently (100 ish miles ago) upgraded to a DID 530 16-45 chain sprocket combo.....he has said that if I want it (or anything else) I can have it.....Just wondered if there is anything wrong with having second hand chain and sprockets off another bike.......also wondered if there is anyway I can put on the new (used) chain without splitting it as it has already been linked up on his bike

Failing all of that, my bike is running standard gearing AFAIK, so would I just be able to put the new (used) 45 tooth rear sprocket on and keep my chain?

Any info would be great as if it is possible I'd like to get it done this weekend :)

Tweety 10-29-2010 02:26 PM

On the VTR it's pretty easy to revove the chain whole... Just unbolt the footpeg assembly an slide it off...

Used chain is usually a bad idea, but 100 miles ago might be alright...

Snoogle 10-29-2010 02:53 PM

Thanks Tweety, so I take it I could put the new one on the same way?

Wicky 10-29-2010 03:16 PM

yes - remember to torque the swingarm nut back to spec

Snoogle 10-30-2010 11:43 AM

Cheers for the info guys, its all on now, and a bit light on the front end with a 45t rear.

I LOVE IT!!

Steering damper next on the cards I think :cool:

revhead1957 10-30-2010 12:30 PM

Wow, with gearing like that, does it ever have the front wheel on the deck?

Snoogle 10-30-2010 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by revhead1957 (Post 285520)
Wow, with gearing like that, does it ever have the front wheel on the deck?

haha like I said it is a bit light, but I wouldn't go back to standard gearing now

:wheelie:

Its the way forward for me :cool:

Snoogle 10-30-2010 03:41 PM

Just found a 50 tooth rear sprocket on eBay if anybody is brave (read stupid) enough lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-VTR1000-...#ht_1037wt_698

trident00 10-30-2010 06:41 PM

So what would be the best set up chain and sprocket wise for a superhawk for someone not really needing to go over 125 mph, but wanting to be able to lift the front end and do some spiriting riding?

Whats the most popular combinations?

Cheers, Walt

mboe794 10-30-2010 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by trident00 (Post 285543)
Whats the most popular combinations?

Sorry to do this but.......

:search:

trident00 10-30-2010 07:25 PM

Sorry to do this but.................. WHATEVER

You want to be helpful awsome. You want to make points whatever. I am doing alot of mods at the moment. Taking the time to read thread after thread after thread. Give a guy a break!! I hope to share what I learn. I am a mechanical engineer and I am sure I have a bit to offer to this forum. When we all work together to push forward our projects we all win. When we all get big headed and tell each other to figure it out yourself, we all lose.

I chose to invest in my Superhawk because of this forum and what I interpreted to be a common passion among superhawk riders. I could very easily have chosen to part out my bike and purchase a RC51 sp2, a 1000rr, or a ducati.

Regardless, I still like the basic powerplant of the superhawk and feel it serves my needs.
To all those that have been so very giving with your expertise and advice I thank you.

trackdayhawk 10-30-2010 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by mboe794 (Post 285544)
Sorry to do this but.......

:search:

Let's cut the new kid some slack, he asked a simple question.

The stock gearing has got pretty good characteristics, but for a little more excitement, 1 or 2 on the rear will put a bigger smile on your face. New sprockets mean a new chain as well.

trident00 10-31-2010 07:39 PM

Appreciate the info track day. I dont usually fly off the handle, but it just rubbed me wrong. I know the unwritten rule here about using the search and I do quite alot. Whats kept me here on this forum is the amount of knowledgeable enthusiastic people. As you said, I'm the new kid, and I am sure I will take a few more lumps.
Again thanks, and take care.

Cheers, Walt

Snoogle 11-03-2010 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by trident00 (Post 285612)
Appreciate the info track day. I dont usually fly off the handle, but it just rubbed me wrong. I know the unwritten rule here about using the search and I do quite alot. Whats kept me here on this forum is the amount of knowledgeable enthusiastic people. As you said, I'm the new kid, and I am sure I will take a few more lumps.
Again thanks, and take care.

Cheers, Walt

I'm sure there were plenty of people wanting to say the search thing.....

ANYWAY......
If you want to pop the front end up regularly and rarely if ever go at 3 figure speeds then I'd like to say that the set up I went for (16 - 45) is more than capable, if you would like a bit more pep on the bottom end then I guess dropping a tooth on the front to go 15-45 would give even more wheelie-ability.

do so at your own flipping (hahaha) risk tho ;)

saige 11-03-2010 09:35 PM

try this,it will give you good ideas about gear ratio.
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

evines 11-04-2010 06:23 AM

Wouldn't 16-45 (or 15-45) make 1st gear pretty much useless? I think 16-43 or 15-43 makes more sense unless you're just stunting.

It's already hard enough to launch this bike in 1st gear . . .

nath981 11-05-2010 04:31 AM

i like the 15/44, but it really depends on your priorities. Of course, wheelies are easier but not as wheelie happy as 15/45+ perhaps. High speed doesn't excite me that much, but you can still get to 140+ quicker than OEM. I like running twisty roads in one or two gears at a speeds that you can accelerate briskly out of turns. If I were touring or otherwise running high speeds on straight roads, I would stay with OEM or higher gearing.