SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   CBR1000rr fork swap, what other master? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/cbr1000rr-fork-swap-what-other-master-22957/)

smokinjoe73 06-21-2010 08:08 PM

CBR1000rr fork swap, what other master?

So the fork swapped transformed the handling of the bike whic has a single sided swingarm on it. My only issue is that I found some 3" rise handlebars but the brake lever is huge & prevents all but gentle left turns at slow speed. What other master is similar but not so protruding? I have an old VTR one but it seems like a step backward as these brakes are so powerful I am now spoileed to weaker ones

Tweety 06-22-2010 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 270929)
So the fork swapped transformed the handling of the bike whic has a single sided swingarm on it. My only issue is that I found some 3" rise handlebars but the brake lever is huge & prevents all but gentle left turns at slow speed. What other master is similar but not so protruding? I have an old VTR one but it seems like a step backward as these brakes are so powerful I am now spoileed to weaker ones

Well, unfortunately the reason the master is so protruding is that it's a radial one... You won't find anything equivalent that doesn't stick way out...

That said, the cylinder size is actually 17mm and the closest you will get to the same effect with less bulk is a RC51 SP1 or 929 master as they are 19mm... The RC51 SP2 and 954 masters are also 17mm I believe (memory?!)

residentg 06-22-2010 04:49 AM

there is a chart on the UK forum somewhere with all the sizes

mikstr 06-22-2010 05:10 AM

I think the piston diameter is 19mm BTW (same Nissin unit as I am using I beleive, mine coming from a 2006 ZX-6R).

One thing to remember when assessing MC (notably raidals) is that piston diameter is but one factor in determining the leverage, the other being the pivot distance. For example, Brembo makes three radial MCs with 19mm pistons: 19X16, 19X18, 19X20 where teh second number indicates the distance of the pressure point from the pivot. The 16 requires less squeeze but more lever travel, the 20 is the opposite, a hard squeeze but little travel.

AS Markus (Tweety) mentioned, any radial MC will give leave you with the same issue. Your best bet is to go with an axial set-up. Find out what the piston sizes are int eh calipers and use teh numerous chart available (here and on VTR1000.org) to figure out which MC will give you the braking characteristics you are seeking.

Tweety 06-22-2010 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 270960)
there is a chart on the UK forum somewhere with all the sizes

Which is a direct copy of a list I was part of compiling a long while ago on this forum...;)

I'm not going to say it, you all know how to find it...;)

mikstr 06-22-2010 06:09 AM

Hey Markus, I just sent you an e-mail.... now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.....

smokinjoe73 06-22-2010 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, search it is but this is the info I needed to do so. First I am going to try to turn the handlebars around to create more clearance. Here is a pic of where I am now

Tweety 06-22-2010 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 270975)
OK, search it is but this is the info I needed to do so. First I am going to try to turn the handlebars around to create more clearance. Here is a pic of where I am now

Woah, sorry... that may have hit another target than intended... ;)

It was meant as a friendly poke at residentg.. ;) Plus I was to lazy to do the search since I didn't need the info myself...

I belive my first reply gives a decent solution to the swap question if you end up needing that... Hopefully not though, a radial master feels quite different from a non-radial... I'd keep that if possible...

Hawkrider 06-22-2010 09:58 AM

I am actually perfectly happy using the stock m/c with the radial calipers of the 1000RR. You should give it a try and see what you think. Good power, not wooden, good initial bite, still a solid lever.

smokinjoe73 06-22-2010 08:17 PM

OK so I am gonna try the handlebar turnaround & then the stock master. From there I think a 954 or cbr600

toy4xchris 06-22-2010 09:35 PM

this might sound dumb but you ever think of just moving the reservoir to the m/c and using a longer hose to connect them then you could move it farther inward to where the inner end of the clip-on is?

smokinjoe73 06-22-2010 10:16 PM

Shockingly, (or not) I not only thought of this, but did it. I made the bracket that held the resevoir shorter to tighten it to the handlebar. But as it turns out, the res is not the limiting factor, its the actual brake lever & how far it protrudes forward from the bar itself. It is the radial design I know, but like I said, now that I went radial, I dont wanna go back. The saga continues

smokinjoe73 06-22-2010 10:45 PM

OK so after all this I CANT find the the master chart on this forum. Even with a few searches. Anyone know what the thread is called?

Tweety 06-23-2010 01:09 AM

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...=brake+upgrade