SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   CBR fork clip on debacle (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/cbr-fork-clip-debacle-21345/)

smokinjoe73 01-21-2010 12:36 AM

CBR fork clip on debacle

So this is what I still dont get. I am about to do the CBR swap but as the clip ons go, why do I need such a rise? On my SH now I have heli bars that I can mount above OR below the triples. Below kind of touches the fairings but I rode it like that for months. Why cant I just do the same with the cbr forks?? Its kinda GSXR position but I dont mind it. What am I missing?

killer5280 01-21-2010 01:01 AM

I think because they won't clear the fairing. Somebody who has used clipons with CBR forks will be along in the morning to give the definitive answer, but I think because the drop down shape of the top CBR triple causes the clipons to be mounted very low relative to the sides of the fairing the clipons must have a bunch of rise to be high enough to clear.

8541Hawk 01-21-2010 01:21 AM

Well on my set up with a SP1 upper triple you need between 2.75-3.0 inches of rise just to put the bars back at the stock height. So whatever rise the heli bars you have now is the minimum rise you could use with a flat upper triple, as you say it works for you in that position (but kinda touching the fairing sounds a bit sketchy to me) . If you use one of the gull wing upper triples, you need the rise you have now plus another .75 (if I remember correctly that is how much the clamp drops) minimum if you plan on mounting the clip ons under the triple.

If you end up with enough fork above the triple to mount the clip ons you could use a much smaller rise.

lazn 01-21-2010 08:47 AM

The CBR forks are shorter than the VTR forks. So you mount them with only a few mm showing above the triple. This isn't enough to mount the clipons to, so you have to put them below the triple.

The CBR upper triple is "gull winged" that is they go down below the top of the steering stem, so that puts your clipons even lower. The CBR clipons have very little rise themselves, your fingers will get pinched between the bar and the fairing.

Do you need 3.5" of rise (what I have on mine) no. You could have less rise and be more hunched over. But the 3.5" ones can be mounted lower on the forks to run less rise if you want, but you can not mount the shorter ones higher.

So get the high ones and adjust them for where you want them.

smokinjoe73 01-21-2010 11:50 AM

AHAH! That makes sense. Lazn, what bars do you have? I was gonna have a machine shop buddy just modify the CBR1000 clip ons to fit. The converti-bars seem like they will immediately double the cost of this project, which of course I dont wanna do.

lazn 01-21-2010 12:09 PM

I have the infamous Swatt clipons, that actually work great.. But dealing with Swatt can be a trying experience.

smokinjoe73 01-21-2010 12:18 PM

Can you give a little more info, or would someone snuff you out if you do?

lazn 01-21-2010 12:20 PM

LoL, a quick search on Swatt https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...earchid=536287 will answer all your questions.

8541Hawk 01-21-2010 12:28 PM

As the latest victim (I mean customer) of Swatt..... I have to agree. Nice product but saying it's a trying experience is being way too kind.

smokinjoe73 01-21-2010 12:32 PM

Oh yeah, this isn't too scary. thanks alot guys, all I wanted was some USD forks!

lazn 01-21-2010 12:43 PM

If you have a buddy that can mod the stockers, just do that. Otherwise, Swatt makes the cheapest product that works well, just be prepared for a long wait and no communication between your order and receiving the product, and don't expect to be able to return them if they don't work.

Really now that I have access to a mill and lathe, were I to do it again I'd just make my own and be done with it.

8541Hawk 01-21-2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 251135)
Oh yeah, this isn't too scary. thanks alot guys, all I wanted was some USD forks!

That's how it started for me (Well someone else decided I really needed them and gave me a set of SP2 forks) It should be done in the next 2-3 weeks :p

RCVTR 01-21-2010 01:11 PM

I used 929RR clipons mounted below the top triple clamp, with RC51 forks and triple clamps. It was a great sport riding position, lower than stock, but no fairing interference and reasonably comfortable all day long.

I have a tuned set of RC51 SP2 forks - all tuned up, if anyones interested. $400. No triple clamps, though. I also have a right 929 clipon, but not the left.

lazn 01-21-2010 01:16 PM

RC51 top triple is not gullwinged, it gives you an extra inch or so of clearance.

Tweety 01-21-2010 01:24 PM

I haven't tested them... But here is an alternative that should be in the middle price range, ConvertiBars are $350+, Swatt are around $150... These are just under $300...

http://www.speedymoto.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=TB

smokinjoe73 01-23-2010 02:32 AM

You call that middle? Anyway, what did you guys use for brake lines? CBR ones must be too short with the added 3.5"

peterpanic 01-23-2010 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 251308)
You call that middle? Anyway, what did you guys use for brake lines? CBR ones must be too short with the added 3.5"

Uuuuhm...longer brake lines? Sorry, couldn't resist!

lazn 01-23-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 251308)

I am actually using the CBR stainless ones I got with my front end.. They are long enough, I can fully extend the fork and still have a bit of slack in them. (not much)

But to be sure, use VTR ones. They will be long enough.

Edit: And I am not sure you are actually adding 3.5" does the CBR normally mount the clipons below the triple, or above? Because if they mount above, we are actually only adding something around 2"

Hawkrider 01-23-2010 03:13 PM

Using stock 1000RR lines will be more than enough. I happened to have some hangin on the wall in my garage. :mrgreen: The 1000RR brakes are way more than you'll ever need for the street if that's what you went with.

mdbuehler 01-24-2010 11:23 AM

I put a 929 front end on mine, and used the CBR's clipons too. Mine mount above the triple (so top of the fork). I have my bike a bit more forward with around an inch of the fork up through the triple, which is plenty enough for them to attach too. No instability problems to report after several thousand miles ridden.

smokinjoe73 01-24-2010 12:54 PM

So does that mean that the 929 forks are substantially longer than the 1000rr's? Anyone know the length difference?

lazn 01-24-2010 01:03 PM

No, the 929 forks are somewhat longer, but not much. You can push the forks further up in the triples, I did that originally with my 954 forks, but the bike was too twitchy for my tastes. I then pushed them too far down and the bike "flopped" into corners. Finally I got the fork length as close to stock as I could and found what I liked best.

Tweety 01-24-2010 01:14 PM

I believe from memory the difference is either 17mm or 20mm or something very close... So around half an inch... That makes for a pretty steep angle even when mounting 929 forks with the clipon above the triple... The 1000RR's would most likely be very nervous... I'm not sure I'd like to try that ride...

smokinjoe73 01-25-2010 09:56 AM

As a reference, I run now my stock SH forks with about 25-30mm above the triple, with heli bars mounted above. Handling seems fine. All told I guess the SS lines I have for this setup should work for the CBR forks I hope.

lazn 01-25-2010 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 251530)
As a reference, I run now my stock SH forks with about 25-30mm above the triple, with heli bars mounted above. Handling seems fine. All told I guess the SS lines I have for this setup should work for the CBR forks I hope.

Your existing lines should be fine.. you are likely to end up with the wheel to handle bar distance close to the same, and that is what determines brake line length.

be sure to measure the distance from the steering head to the axle before you remove your stock forks. I skipped that and that's why I had to do more tweaking than I would have if I had just done that from the onset and matched the new forks to that distance.

Tweety 01-25-2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 251530)

For reference, there is a groove for a ring at the top of the original clipon, and I'm fairly certain the Heli's are the same height at the clamp, so that's a good reference point to measure how much they are moved vs stock...

But still, like lazn said, measure the axle to the handlebar and top of the top triple (find a common point at or around the nut) before teardown to have as a reference point... It makes life a whole lot easier...