SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   CBR 929 RR onto VTR 1000F (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/cbr-929-rr-onto-vtr-1000f-13966/)

Hawk 996 03-06-2008 12:52 AM

CBR 929 RR onto VTR 1000F

Ive got a 2000 CBR 929 RR that is dead, i high sided her and destroyed the Crankcase, Clutch Assembly and lower connecting rods..so shes gone...totalled...

Ive also got a VTR 1000F, my baby, my first bike and one ive been wanting to upgrade for quite some time..anywho...my point, is the 929 has fully adjustable Ohlins suspension, which was put on by the original owner, but im wondering is that shit interchangeable with my hawk? What all on a 929 would be interchangeable? Are the 929's stock wheels and swingarm any lighter than the hawks? Id like to know what i can do with the 929 and the Hawk...any suggestions?

Thanks

Hawkrider 03-06-2008 03:31 AM

The whole front end will bolt on if it's still straight. Shock will not, nor the swingarm for that matter without extensive modification to either the bike and/or the swingarm. Sell it on ebay and buy a Penske with the money.

Tweety 03-06-2008 03:44 AM

I'm gonna say the same... Keep the front end, and sell the healthy parts from the rear and buy a good shock...

I'm still over the moon with my new 1000RR front end... There must be some nutter running ahead of me laying out tracks...:) Because that's the way it feels compared to before...

superbling 03-06-2008 06:17 AM

If the ohlins shock has a remote reservoir, then it can be modded to fit (it's shorter than the VTR) but you should be able to sell it easily for around $500 if it's in good shape. Then you can get a shock built and valved specifically for you and the VTR starting around $750.

If money is an issue, the ohlins with a spacer would still be worlds better than the stocker as the spring rates are reasonably close IIRC. I used a penske from a 954.

THe 929 front end is shorter so it does have some issues but nothing major. Search front end mods.

Tweety 03-06-2008 06:39 AM

Hmm... I might actually be able to get my hands on one from a 954 dirt cheap... Would you happen to know how much the difference that needs to be shimmmed is? It would match my new front end beatifully...:)

BTW... if I ruin myself doing mods to my bike I will blame you bling, you got me started with your wild mods...:)

SlowHAWK 03-06-2008 08:52 AM

If you go to the Ohlins site... they should list the specs for each shock (at least it used to)... when you pick a shock for a specific bike, it states the length, stroke, etc... you can plug in both bikes (929/VTR) and that should give you the info to compare them, and idea of how long of a spacer, or if the shock might be close...

Tweety 03-06-2008 09:45 AM

Hm... it seems I'll have to do that tonight after work... the plugins are blocked here...:(

Oh well... I'm already over my monthly fun budget anyways...;)