SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Cap on coil mod with Triumph coils??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/cap-coil-mod-triumph-coils-29696/)

chemomche 01-15-2013 02:02 AM

Cap on coil mod with Triumph coils???

Hi, i bought cheap Triumph Daytona 600 coils from ebay, thinking of cap on coil mod for my Hawk.
They will be with me after a month, but i am wondering if they will be good for this mod:confused:
The manual says they must be 0.9-1.6 Ohm primary resistance, so i guess they should work, but need second opinion.

So what do you think?

zxbud 01-17-2013 02:52 PM

coils

Originally Posted by chemomche (Post 347580)
Hi, i bought cheap Triumph Daytona 600 coils from ebay, thinking of cap on coil mod for my Hawk.
They will be with me after a month, but i am wondering if they will be good for this mod:confused:
The manual says they must be 0.9-1.6 Ohm primary resistance, so i guess they should work, but need second opinion.

So what do you think?

Next week I'll be getting cbr600 coils for the upgrade and I'll post the whole process. Also I'll measure the resistance of the sticks and post that too. The stock coils on this one produce a weak spark while cranking but should be bigger, fatter, stronger I think. I expect more torque and more smoothness. This will be fun.

skokievtr 01-17-2013 03:19 PM

ZX, Are you getting 4 coils or 2? I have a spare set of VTR OE coils but was thinking of doing the sticks if I can find a 2 good ones for cheap...

zxbud 01-18-2013 10:12 AM

Sticks

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 347734)
ZX, Are you getting 4 coils or 2? I have a spare set of VTR OE coils but was thinking of doing the sticks if I can find a 2 good ones for cheap...

Somehow I ordered 2 sets on Ebay and don't know for sure how I did it. So 8 coils are coming next week. I paid $18 delivered for one set and $33 delivered for the other set. I'll test them all and even make a vid of the spark of the stock and stick coils simultaneously and maybe with headlight on and off. When I accelerate in the upper gears I sense in the 3k rpm range an uneven pulse between the cylinders but that may only be due to the 450 and 270 degree firing order. The bike runs awfully good but I still expect some improvement. We'll see about that. I also bought the wiring harness so half of that will be available, too.

Tweety 01-18-2013 12:34 PM

If your OEM coils and cables are working as they should, you will see absolutely zero improvement from using stick coils... It's not an "upgrade"... It's a replacement... Ie they do the exact same work as the OEM parts...

The gains are less clutter and weight, and less likely to corrode at the frame mount, causing bad grounding... That it, nothing else...

Tweety 01-18-2013 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by chemomche (Post 347580)

So what do you think?

A quick search and I found that the Daytona uses Denso coils, and looking at what online sources I could find, the partno matches up to the CBR 600 RR... Ie you have essentially CBR 600RR coils, ie the same coils as zxbud has...

So, yeah... They should work just fine... ;)

skokievtr 01-18-2013 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by zxbud (Post 347783)
Somehow I ordered 2 sets on Ebay and don't know for sure how I did it. So 8 coils are coming next week. I paid $18 delivered for one set and $33 delivered for the other set. I'll test them all and even make a vid of the spark of the stock and stick coils simultaneously and maybe with headlight on and off. When I accelerate in the upper gears I sense in the 3k rpm range an uneven pulse between the cylinders but that may only be due to the 450 and 270 degree firing order. The bike runs awfully good but I still expect some improvement. We'll see about that. I also bought the wiring harness so half of that will be available, too.

Let me know how much you want for a set of 2 and/or 4 delivered to 60077. However, per Tweety (markus maximus) below, as my oem coils seem OK despeite having 80,000 miles on them (are they due for replacement Markus?) and I have a spare set of OEM coils, I really don't need the stick coils unless I can get a set for CHEAP.

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 347790)
If your OEM coils and cables are working as they should, you will see absolutely zero improvement from using stick coils... It's not an "upgrade"... It's a replacement... Ie they do the exact same work as the OEM parts...

The gains are less clutter and weight, and less likely to corrode at the frame mount, causing bad grounding... That it, nothing else...

zxbud 01-18-2013 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 347800)
Let me know how much you want for a set of 2 and/or 4 delivered to 60077. However, per Tweety (markus maximus) below, as my oem coils seem OK despeite having 80,000 miles on them (are they due for replacement Markus?) and I have a spare set of OEM coils, I really don't need the stick coils unless I can get a set for CHEAP.

As mentioned, I'll post a vid and you can evaluate. I say if the spark's fatter, bluer, stronger it's a no brainer. For instance, the spark on this bike looks tiny and weak but the spark on a high compression 1984 Honda 1100 Saber which I had was big and fat. It pumped over 200psi of cold crank pressure as opposed to 165psi on this bike. A cbr600 is also a high compression engine so this spark should be hefty. Next week ------

chemomche 01-19-2013 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 347792)
A quick search and I found that the Daytona uses Denso coils, and looking at what online sources I could find, the partno matches up to the CBR 600 RR... Ie you have essentially CBR 600RR coils, ie the same coils as zxbud has...

So, yeah... They should work just fine... ;)

thanks, that was just what i was looking for

can,t wait to receive them and put them on the bike

Tweety 01-19-2013 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by zxbud (Post 347809)
As mentioned, I'll post a vid and you can evaluate. I say if the spark's fatter, bluer, stronger it's a no brainer. For instance, the spark on this bike looks tiny and weak but the spark on a high compression 1984 Honda 1100 Saber which I had was big and fat. It pumped over 200psi of cold crank pressure as opposed to 165psi on this bike. A cbr600 is also a high compression engine so this spark should be hefty. Next week ------

Well... Unless you have the test equipment to check your OEM coils and find out, it's entirely possible that they are a bit tired like mine was...

The result for me was noticable improved performance, but that's just down to worn OEM parts, not a higher spec part... Becuase it is in fact not higher spec, it's the same spec, and driven by the same pulse, with the same characteristics, so it will give the same results... That's just logic, nothing else...

zxbud 01-19-2013 05:40 AM

Old Coils

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 347829)
Well... Unless you have the test equipment to check your OEM coils and find out, it's entirely possible that they are a bit tired like mine was...

The result for me was noticable improved performance, but that's just down to worn OEM parts, not a higher spec part... Becuase it is in fact not higher spec, it's the same spec, and driven by the same pulse, with the same characteristics, so it will give the same results... That's just logic, nothing else...

Coils degrade over time for any number of reasons. I bought a 1999 Dodge truck and noticed a weak spark and so I tested the primary tabs and found it to be 1 or 2 ohms out of spec. Tested a new one and it read correct and it also produced a much healthier spark. Truck ran like new from then on---who'd have thunk?

I'm still chasing the elusive 60 to 80 :cool: time of < 3 seconds in 6th. I have a good feeling about this.

skokievtr 01-19-2013 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 347829)

And how many of us do have a peak voltage adapter? 100V at coil and .7V at ICU.

Can any auto shop test one on the bench?

twist 01-19-2013 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 347790)

thanks for that, tweety. This is my first experience with stick coils and I assumed they provided the same performance as the "old" style. After all, the hotter coils don't increase power but provide a better burn and a better running engine. From your post I get the impression the stick coils are really just less bulky. Is there any other advantage of stick over the bulky old style?

Tweety 01-20-2013 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 347841)
And how many of us do have a peak voltage adapter? 100V at coil and .7V at ICU.

Can any auto shop test one on the bench?

I'm fairly sure none are really surprised to know that I do... ;)

They should be able to yes... Or at least on the bike...

Tweety 01-20-2013 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by twist (Post 347872)
thanks for that, tweety. This is my first experience with stick coils and I assumed they provided the same performance as the "old" style. After all, the hotter coils don't increase power but provide a better burn and a better running engine. From your post I get the impression the stick coils are really just less bulky. Is there any other advantage of stick over the bulky old style?

Not really, no... Bulk & weight is the primary gains, and less clutter of things in the way when working...

That and the fact that the OEM stock coils ground to a metal core bolted to the frame that's very prone to corrosion, which means a bad spark...

Also, like zxbud said, the stock parts degrade, both the coil in itself and the high voltage cables, stick coils remove that cable, so less prone to failure/degradation...