SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Which brake reservoir to use on a RC51 MC? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/brake-reservoir-use-rc51-mc-26044/)

firedog55 06-30-2011 02:09 PM

Which brake reservoir to use on a RC51 MC?

After spending the last hour searching threads I can't find the answer.

I thought I read somewhere that the VTR reservoir would work if the bracket was bent slightly.

Do I need to buy a RC51 bracket, reservoir and hose to complete the swap?

Thanks

Tweety 06-30-2011 02:25 PM

The reservoair is the same... The bracket is different, but it probably won't fit against the fairing anyways, so I'd suggest a custom bracket... And it's possible the lenght of hose might be different, but that's just a hose, no need to buy the specific bagged Honda item if you don't particularily want to...

firedog55 06-30-2011 06:22 PM

Thanks Tweety

skokievtr 06-30-2011 10:31 PM

I have tried both RVT MC (VTR1000 SP1 & SP2) and settled on the smaller SP2 MC with the EQ of the SP1 calipers (i.e., CBR600F4i) and transferred the VTR1000F (SH) reservoir & bent its bracket to keep the fluid level. Nice set-up BTW, with of course SS Lines & Tommaselli 3-way adjustable "clip-ons.

firedog55 07-01-2011 02:35 PM

My set up is the early SP1 calipers/ CBR 954 MC with Galfer SS lines/wave rotors and Vesrah pads.

After messing with it a little more it looks like I can make the VTR reservoir work with some bracket modification.

I also got a set of Pazzo levers, (VTR clutch and 954 brake) to match.

Sounds like our brakes are the same.

skokievtr 07-02-2011 11:29 AM

the 2002-2003 954 MC is the same size as the SP2...

whose "wave" rotors do u have? I have not tried the Vesrah pads in the F4i calipers, just running the usual EBC HH.

firedog55 07-02-2011 02:52 PM

I have the Galfer wave rotors front and rear. I know the 954 MC has the smaller piston. When I bought the 954 MC off Ebay I thought I had SP2 calipers that I bought from mikstr. When I bought the piston seals to rebuild the calipers I found out they were SP1 with the bigger pistons. Now I have a mismatched set and I'm hoping the smaller MC piston won't make much difference. The Hawk is apart right now waiting for the forks to return from Jamie Daugherty with his RaceTech magic. Hopefully I'll get it back together soon and can try out the brakes and other mods.:)

lazn 07-02-2011 03:00 PM

The smaller MC will mean that you have more braking power but it will involve more lever travel. Some people prefer it this way.

skokievtr 07-02-2011 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 308006)
The smaller MC will mean that you have more braking power but it will involve more lever travel. Some people prefer it this way.

As do I. Much better feel & more controllable modulation with only maybe 20% more lever travel and no less braking power if not more apparent braking power (the same power is achieved with less effort really). You have nothing to worry about & really got lucky IMO, as I first tried the 19mm MC & then had to buy the 17+mm unit.

firedog55 07-02-2011 05:24 PM

Thanks guys for all the info, that's why this is such a great forum, although it has caused me to spend a lot of money!

I told my wife this was going to be cheaper than buying a new bike. I'm not so sure now. The list of mods is getting long:
-Upgraded SP1 front brakes, Galfer wave brake rotors (front and rear)
-JDM Racetech forks
-JDM Racetech F4i rear shock
-APE CCTs
-520 chain conversion
-CBR 6 spoke wheels, All Balls bearings and Dunlop Q2s
-Coerce CF rear hugger, fork brace and countershaft sprocket cover
-Mosfet R1 R/R and gel battery
-Pazzo levers
-Vortex billet gas cap
-Tapeworks "Wings" graphics on Dodge Poppy Red under clear coat.

The Hawk was a yellow '99 with 9,500 miles that I've had since '02. It already had Two Brothers CF high pipes, Factory 4 degree ing. advancer, shift kit, and jetting. K&N air filter, all SS lines, double bubble wind screen, C-Werks footpegs, etc.

I'm sure I've put more in it than it's worth, but I like the bike, and I'm having fun upgrading it.

I'll put up some pics when it's back together.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Tweety 07-03-2011 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by firedog55 (Post 308019)
Thanks guys for all the info, that's why this is such a great forum, although it has caused me to spend a lot of money!

I told my wife this was going to be cheaper than buying a new bike. I'm not so sure now. The list of mods is getting long:
-Upgraded SP1 front brakes, Galfer wave brake rotors (front and rear)
-JDM Racetech forks
-JDM Racetech F4i rear shock
-APE CCTs
-520 chain conversion
-CBR 6 spoke wheels, All Balls bearings and Dunlop Q2s
-Coerce CF rear hugger, fork brace and countershaft sprocket cover
-Mosfet R1 R/R and gel battery
-Pazzo levers
-Vortex billet gas cap
-Tapeworks "Wings" graphics on Dodge Poppy Red under clear coat.

The Hawk was a yellow '99 with 9,500 miles that I've had since '02. It already had Two Brothers CF high pipes, Factory 4 degree ing. advancer, shift kit, and jetting. K&N air filter, all SS lines, double bubble wind screen, C-Werks footpegs, etc.

I'm sure I've put more in it than it's worth, but I like the bike, and I'm having fun upgrading it.

I'll put up some pics when it's back together.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Well, it migth seem like a long list... But it's probably just the beginning... ;)

Welcome to the OCMD club... ;)

Where most of the members have forgotten more mods than you have listed... I gave up trying to make a list of my own a while ago, since I was making a modification to a modified modification, and got confused... :rotf:

comedo 07-03-2011 08:16 AM

+1 to lazn and skokievtr
I've got 954 calipers, Galfer wave rotors and the stock VTR master cylinder. I've tried a CBR600RR master cylinder but it wasn't a marked improvement. I was using EBC HH's at the time. It was only when I installed the Vesrah RJL's that the brake system became as effective as I hoped it would.

firedog55 07-06-2011 02:13 PM

Tweety,
I hope I don't get as advanced a case of OCMD as you have, I'm almost broke now.
Thanks for the advice, I sure enjoy looking at your Hawk and mods.