SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   BMC Race or Street Air Filter? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/bmc-race-street-air-filter-23032/)

mortbike 06-29-2010 02:06 PM

BMC Race or Street Air Filter?

I ordered a street version BMC air filter from Yoshimura and received it today. I just want to make sure it is the street version and not the race version by mistake. The box says 144/04 on the label and BMC label part number is #1011. Can anyone tell me for sure if that is the street or race version? Do the filters look any different. You can see a lot of day light through this filter-hope it does not give me tuning problems. I am installing high mount Staintune slip on's and a factory 1.1 ti jet kit. Still trying to decide if I should use stock or BMC filter. Any additional suggestions for filter choice and jet choices/settings would be appreciated-I live at sea level in warm/humid south Florida-Thanks to those who have already offered some advice-Thanks-Mort

Tweety 06-29-2010 02:42 PM

:iagree: That's the race filter... Virtually the same as the K&N with all the same potential pitfalls in tuning...

mortbike 06-29-2010 03:33 PM

stock air filter jetting

I am leaning toward staying with the stock air filter and returning the BMC race filter, could not find a bmc street filter in stock anywhere and the rep at Yosh must have sent me the wrong one. Can anyone give me recommended factory pro jet kit main/pilot jet sizes, needle setting, pilot screw turns out for a stock bike, stock new air filter, stock header, Staintune high mounts (quiet baffle removed)
at sea level in hot/humid south Florida? My bike runs pretty lean all stock right now here in Florida-Thanks! Mort

nothing 06-30-2010 05:33 AM

^stock jets will work, plenty. since you're in FL I'd recommend running a bit rich to keep things a bit cooler. so maybe shim your needles (search needle shim) to about .040-.050 or so (rear being shimmed more than front cyl) to give you some more fuel where the needle contributes. as for the pilot screw setting I would consider it between 2.5 and 2.75 turns out. hopefully most will agree with me because over time my research has given me this info.

comedo 07-01-2010 10:26 AM

Dear Mortbike,
The box my BMC filter came in is marked "144/04". I can detect no performance difference between it and the K+N. I haven't compared them using a dyno.
The instruction sheet that came with my FactoryPro 1.1 kit indicates that for a starting point with the stock filter and a stock or quiet exhaust: 45 or 48 pilots, fuel screw two turns out, needle clip two grooves from the top and 172/175 mains.
I understand that FactoryPro customer service is pretty good and it would be worth calling them before you begin. A search of this site will give you a good sense of what others are using. Unless you're one of a lucky minority, you won't get it right the first time. I set mine up with the suggested settings and it was awful. A dyno run coupled with some advice from an experienced tuner made the difference for me. The suggested settings from the instruction sheet are too lean in my opinion. I'd start no leaner than the stock main jets which are 175 front and 178 rear. I'll be going through the process again when I install the velocity stacks I've ordered from Dr. Honda.

Fastguy59 03-13-2016 06:38 AM

This is an old post, but in the spirit of leaving fresh bead crumbs behind. The BMC website lists the FM144/04 as the STREET filter and the FM144/04Race as the RACE filter... Easy, yes? IMHO, it is always best to go straight to the mfg for correct technical info.