SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Bike is home... with some nice new mods... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/bike-home-some-nice-new-mods-34983/)

mikstr 06-08-2018 08:46 PM

Bike is home... with some nice new mods...

Picked up the Carbon Express a couple days ago and have been putting miles on it, breaking it in. Mechanically/performance-wise, the changes include 99mm JE pistons, "new" intake cams (replaced the previous Mori exh which were used in intake position (249 degrees, 10.1mm, 102 LC) wit Yoshi Stage 1 (250 deg, 10.7mm, 104 LC)), lightened flywheel (-2.6 lbs vs stock - thanks Erik!) and venting mods for crankcase (thanks Mike!). Also had new valves, guides put in as well as getting the seats refreshed (new springs and seals too). New stator went in too as was told old one was on its way out.

As for my tinkering, I revised my Filter-in-lid airbox, increasing the filter element area and raising the lid slightly (which bumps volume slightly and, more importantly, frees up space above the velocity stack). I also replaced the long HPower front stack with a "long" Moriwaki unit (@ 15mm shorter) and made a new set of X-wing diffusers for them (which basically splits the venturi horizontally in two identically-sized halves; previous version was about 65% lower and 35% upper half).

So, how does it run? Incredible, sublime!!!!! Clean pickup from any speed, quick response and smooth, muscular acceleration. Just pulls and pulls and pulls. It is nice and smooth at constant throttle but the engine gives off some nice mechanical vibes/feedback under acceleration. Potent, with lots of character. Love it!!!!!

I have about 250 miles on it so far as just seems to be running better and better (lots of on-off throttle). Changed the oil (15w40 diesel oil) yesterday after 100 miles. Am running 15w40 diesel again (but higher end stuff), will run this batch for about 600 miles then drop it and put in a mix of Motul 7100 and 5100 in.

I also have a quickshifter to start playing with. My focus has been to do a proper break-in but with that going well, I can now start playing around with/programming the quickshifter (by Healtech, is programmable via cell phone).

I LOVE my bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolverine 06-09-2018 05:01 AM

Sounds like you love it, lol.
So, do you ever track this mo-sheen? And when are we going to get a dyno graph? Mine is headed to the rollers this coming saturday. Last time was '08 and it ran a 108 with just a slip on pipe, no other changes. It would be interesting to see what all these changes net in HP and torque.

mikstr 06-09-2018 05:51 AM

I never track it, have too much $$$ to risk dropping it. Bike has been on the dyno numerous times over the years, with a best result of 121 hp and 77 lb-ft (with stock airbox). It is definitely stronger now... We'll see if I'll give it another go...

kenmoore 06-10-2018 02:01 PM

Go the diesel oil Mikstr,

I have used it in the last 5 bikes .

Can you post a sound clip ? would love to hear it !

Wolverine 06-10-2018 02:45 PM

I tried the diesel shit once. Shifted like the worn out good stuff. Guess we all have a different levels of sensitivity.

Floyd 06-10-2018 05:54 PM

I use the diesel oil also with no issues in my past 3 bikes.

mikstr 06-10-2018 07:10 PM

HDEO (ie. diesel oil) is a very broad category encompassing many, many oils. The name brand, higher quality ones work well and put up excellent wear numbers, though some work better shift-wise than others. I just dumped the 2nd batch of diesel oil (Valvoline Premium Blue) after a total of 700 miles (on rebuild) and put in a mix of Motul 7100 and 5100. We'll see what I run in the long term but I had/have 2 jugs of Motul to use up.

Bike is just getting better and better as everything seats in...

Wolverine 06-10-2018 07:29 PM

Last thing we wanna do is turn this into an erl thread.

:noevil:

mikstr 06-10-2018 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 406480)
Last thing we wanna do is turn this into an erl thread.

:noevil:

true dat...

xeris 06-10-2018 08:20 PM

Too late.

CaryDG 06-11-2018 09:37 PM

How do you thread oil?

8541Hawk 06-15-2018 07:59 PM

Glad to hear the bike is running well and that the stuff we talked about is working for you.
Also good to keep the OCMD club alive with case stuff from the Top Secret files.....lol

fabiostar 06-17-2018 02:10 PM

happy days mikey, good to hear the big girls running the best..:D

mikstr 06-17-2018 07:14 PM

thanks gents. Bike is getting better all the time as the miles accumulate and the sealing improves; it's all good!