SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Benefits of heat wrapping the headers (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/benefits-heat-wrapping-headers-24949/)

budd 03-16-2011 03:18 AM

Benefits of heat wrapping the headers

It's widely accepted that heat wrapping the exhaust on cars gives worthwhile gains in several areas from increasing exhaust gas speed to heat control, I've recently wrapped the headers, up pipe and cat replacement pipe on my Impreza and I've got some heat wrap left over, I have seen it applied to bikes but it's not very common to see it, is this because the benefits aren't worth th bother or does it create issues when applied to a MC and specifically the VTR with it's exposed front pipe?

uchi 03-16-2011 04:08 AM

i think we had talked about this years back and if memory serves me right people werent finding any benefit from doing it. i could be wrong on that though.

budd 03-16-2011 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by uchi (Post 295903)
i think we had talked about this years back and if memory serves me right people werent finding any benefit from doing it. i could be wrong on that though.

I think any performance benefits would only ever be very small, but I was thinking there maybe benefits to heat control around the rear cylinder and shock, probabaly not worth strippng the bike just to do it but I already have the headers off to try and remove a broken exhaust stud.

RCVTR 03-16-2011 08:36 AM

You are correct. The best reason for wrapping the header is to reduce heat around the rear shock and next to the oil sump. I have mine wrapped in those two areas only.

The wrap can cause the header to overheat.

Wicky 03-16-2011 10:29 AM

Seems to be a US fashion - very rarely done in UK (possibly we need all the warmth we can get ;-)

BBB 03-16-2011 11:43 AM

I've wrapped both headers all the way to the junction, and I don't think I'll replace it once this lot is ratty enough to remove.

Nothing was noted performance wise, but it does keep the heat down especially near the shock.

I used the brown and painted it white, but as I ride in the rain its hard to keep as clean as I'd like.

Going to get them coated next time, less hassle.

lukenukem47 03-21-2011 11:07 AM

reguarding heat wrap

I wrapped from engine to just past the y pipe. pro's less heat! frame of the bike is cool to the touch. con's underneath the bike where pipe can make contact with speed bumps it will fray. pipes will rust early! unless prepped and painted with heat paint first. every 2 to 3 years redo the wrap otherwise becomes dirty and looks bad. Doing the wrap around the shock and swing arm SUCKS!!! its tight and frustrating. However saying that You will enjoy the 90+ degree days with a lot less heat for sure.

evines 03-21-2011 12:01 PM

I wrapped mine when the pipes were off the bike, and it did cut down on heat. I couldn't tell any performance difference.

The wrap looks like crap very quickly, and it frayed in a few places pretty quick, but my bike's not the prettiest to begin with (which is one reason why I wrapped the rashed up pipes), so that doesn't bother me.

The wrapping was worth it just to cut down on heat. It was a noticeable difference while commuting during the summer.

budd 03-22-2011 09:41 AM

I decided I may as well wrap mine as I had the exhaust off to remove a broken front exhaust stud (what a PITA they are I was lucky that there was enough still left sticking out and I could weld on a nut fortunately this allowed me to remove the stud without issue but the std studs look like they are designed to snap!!! So I’ve used bolts instead) as I said I wouldn’t have bothered if I hadn’t had to remove the exhaust coupled with the fact I had some Dei heat wrap left over from doing the Impreza, I sprayed the headers with VHT paint prior to wrapping and I’m hoping this and using good quality Dei wrap will help with longevity also I won’t have any rubbing issues as I’ve got a Moriwaki racing lower fairing which I’m hoping will protect it from the elements a bit. I don’t expect any performance benefits but the extra cooling around the rear shock should make it worthwhile.

Thumper 04-17-2012 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by budd (Post 296599)
I decided I may as well wrap mine as I had the exhaust off to remove a broken front exhaust stud (what a PITA they are I was lucky that there was enough still left sticking out and I could weld on a nut fortunately this allowed me to remove the stud without issue but the std studs look like they are designed to snap!!! So I’ve used bolts instead) as I said I wouldn’t have bothered if I hadn’t had to remove the exhaust coupled with the fact I had some Dei heat wrap left over from doing the Impreza, I sprayed the headers with VHT paint prior to wrapping and I’m hoping this and using good quality Dei wrap will help with longevity also I won’t have any rubbing issues as I’ve got a Moriwaki racing lower fairing which I’m hoping will protect it from the elements a bit. I don’t expect any performance benefits but the extra cooling around the rear shock should make it worthwhile.

imho the dei stuff is junk, buy better stuff.

This brand has proven to be good stuff
Amazon.com: Vulcan Titanium Ultimate Exhaust Header Wrap 2X50 Lava Fiber: Automotive

smokinjoe73 04-17-2012 08:32 PM

I just wrapped mine and hugely noticed the differece of heat on me and the oil filter, sump, etc.

I suspected one of my sealing donuts was iffy so replaced that. It is way worth it to remove the exhaust to wrap it but stock up on clamps BEFORE you dive in.

Thumper 04-17-2012 09:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 330089)
I just wrapped mine and hugely noticed the differece of heat on me and the oil filter, sump, etc.

I suspected one of my sealing donuts was iffy so replaced that. It is way worth it to remove the exhaust to wrap it but stock up on clamps BEFORE you dive in.

I have never been much on clamps, i just use Safety Wire on each end x 2 and never had a problem. Tips: Soak the wrap in water before applying and apply wet, this allows you to pull it tighter. Second pay attention to the over laping direction. Wrap from back to front. Lastly if it get dirty, spray with simple green and use a water hose to wash off, never spray with high pressure sprayer.

And yes it is okay to get it wet and ride with it wet. And no it will not rot your metal, atleast on four bikes i have wrapped two for 10 years plus with thousands of miles in all conditions metal looks nice when i did re-wrap 5 or 6 years later.

Good luck

Attachment 24888
Attachment 24889

smokinjoe73 04-18-2012 07:33 AM

Wow, looks sano. How did you hold all the pipes together with safety wire? lol

I was saying that the muffler clamps had died & needed replacing. I hold the wrap on with safety wire.

eezz 05-18-2012 09:02 PM

I did that with a Ducati Hypermotard with a 2 into 1 aftermarket carbon can and it blew a hole in it. I spoke with a mechanical engineer and he said wrapping it effectively makes the bike perform as if you shortened the exhaust pipes and also drives more heat out the exhaust because it doesn't dissapate off the pipes on the way to the can (muffler). There are benefits to sheilding the shock and oil cooler & lines, etc., but after you cover enough for that you should stop so the heat will dissapate a little before reaching the can(s).

1971allchaos 05-19-2012 07:27 AM

I rode a 98' S-hawk for a couple of years(with the header wrapped)thru rain, shine, etc. When the wrap got to looking (poor) I removed it.. To find that the header was rusted up ,and rusted "thin".
When I started Modding the 2001(Akra-full exhaust, Ohlins rear shock) I sent the pipes to have ceramic coated for the same benefits as the wrap.
I would just watch -How much water time your S-hawk gets with the wrapped header..

Bandit400man 05-20-2012 02:15 PM

The Only benefit of heat wrapping is nobody will wanna steal your bike ;)

smokinjoe73 05-20-2012 06:31 PM

Aw man, all that work and now I gotta take it off to save my carbon cans?

eezz 05-24-2012 11:17 PM

You may be OK leaving to the first "Y"because there is more header pipe from there to the cans, but I would recommend you go no further - esp if you have carbon cans.

smokinjoe73 05-25-2012 06:57 AM

I have carbon cans so I did only the short length under the oil sump. (actually did it all then went back and cut down to this much)

E.Marquez 05-25-2012 09:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
As others have stated Heat control is the prime reason for wrapping headers on THIS bike.

As the Texas Summer is just ramping up and I have a roll of heat wrap on the shelf.. figured why not try it this summer.... If I notice a good reduction he felt heat from the exhaust, and or lower motor temps, I'll send the header off to JET HOT coatings.. till then
Attachment 24733

Attachment 24734

Attachment 24735

amaly 05-25-2012 09:32 PM

Here in Oregon people will stay clear at a stop light from the 20 foot ball of steam.