SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Autoteach - 17/43? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/autoteach-17-43-a-16683/)

Erik S. 11-04-2008 08:32 AM

Autoteach - 17/43?

I noticed your signature, and was curious why you went with the 17/43 combo for sprockets.

Most guys seem to be going with lower gearing, but you went with higher gearing? Is this due to your riding style?

Just curious?

Erik

Cleveland 11-04-2008 09:50 AM

OMG... Did you just call him a "old pussy"?... lol..

Seriously though, (If you really want an answer) it would be more prudent to "private message" him...

Erik S. 11-04-2008 09:57 AM

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

His answer could be very relevant to all sorts of riders on this forum.

His answer could be that he found better gas mileage, which enables him to tour more, and he has bags on his bike. His answer could be that he doesn't stunt, so he doesn't need the violent torque of a 15/43, or he's not big into twisties so he doesn't need the low end torque of the 15/43. Could be that he likes the application of power with this gearing.

There are lots of conversations about 15/43, 16/43 and other combinations. If I don't make this a topic, someone may not ever find out why he like's 17/43, cause the topic was in a private message.

Sounds more like you just called him an "old pussy", not me.

Thanks for playing though.

FL02SupaHawk996 11-04-2008 10:05 AM

hehehehe, PM or PMS...Eric you're killing me over here...LOL!

I'd like to know how the RPMs run on 17/43 gearing at 80 mph myself...

Thanks for asking,:thumbsup:
RC

:gatlin::boom:

Cleveland 11-04-2008 10:54 AM

Lighten up

He is less likely to miss a PM than this thread.

FL02SupaHawk996 11-04-2008 10:57 AM

Sorry, wasn't trying to be too hard on ya Clev, just funny that's all;)
RC

autoteach 11-04-2008 01:51 PM

Well, right now I am on the 16-43 gearing (following my dragons trip, just never had the chance to change back). I went with the 17-43 because when I bought the tri-metal sprocket I could only get it in the 43 tooth, not the factory 41. I was HAPPY with the stock gearing and didn't want to give up fuel mileage. I really don't pull wheelies, and friends that have rode my bike still can at will. Lake michigan trip I saw 45mpg (17-43), lake superior (16-43) got a max of 42ish. The weather, my packing, and the speeds between the two trips were much different. This is not a good comparo...

That being said, If I was going to do it again, i would not by the tri-metal sprocket, i would get the full titanium that sidewinder came out with now in the stock gearing. I have seen little to no wear on the titanium portion of my sprocket. I would not have made my own exhuast, i would have bought a full titanium race system, or at least a full stainless, whatever is available with carbon cans if I was to replace the two bros that I had. Altho it may have been just as cheap to get light wheels for the baby. I would probably still lighten the flywheel, although it is detrimental to tire wear with aggressive riding, still fun tho. The luggage rack kicks ass, which I have to get picks up so y'all can see. I would pay someone to adjust my suspension, do gold valves and springing, and would probably do engine work if I didn't spend the money that I had.

Long and short, lots of coulda woulda shoulda, but the gearing works if your don't care about wheelies, I can still keep up with the 6's, I can haul luggage at 125mph, and every day I ride it gets more comfortable.

nuhawk 11-04-2008 07:22 PM

I'm still running my 15/41 setup but the rear is starting to hook so it may need to go this winter. It depends on your style of riding. I may go to 43 in the rear but I like carrying bigger r's into the corners. I don't like digging out at 2800. I want to get in faster and have more r's coming out. 32-3500 is my target. 15/41 is "jerk it out of your hands" quick so you really have to be on top of it. You have to be smooth as you come back to the power. At highway speeds it's just laugh in your helmet crazy. Nothing can outrun it zero to a hundred or wants to.

Hotbrakes 11-04-2008 07:53 PM

I was getting about 45mpg with the 15/43 combo this weekend in the mountains. That's with a rough correction for miles too cause of the change. Not sure why it was so much better, maybe the switch to winter "blend" gasoline, plus it was just L8RGYZ and myself so we were riding smooth and quick.

I don't think gearing really makes a huge difference in fuel mileage, its still big carbs. Lower rpms use less gas in a perfect world but lower means less power so the engine works harder causing a little more fuel to be dumped in.

Personally I like the 15/43 cause I can cruise in the midrange at comfortable speeds (fast but not reckless :rolleyes:) in 3rd versus revved out in 2nd or uncontrollably hauling ass to keep the engine from bucking in 3rd. I just changed the RC51's gearing down a tooth up front to help it slow down too while making the difference between gears more docile and smooth.

I've never heard of anyone changing their gearing like you did Autoteach. Maybe I missed out on a previous conversation justifying this but it seems like all it does is add weight to the driven parts which will slow down throttle response. But its probably only a minute unnoticeable difference.

RCVTR 11-04-2008 08:00 PM

Stock gearing was 41/16 = 2.56.
43/17 = 2.53. Very close to stock gearing.
I ran 42/15 = 2.80. I never ran out of RPM in the range of speeds I used. But gearing a little taller lets you use the torque over a wider speed range in any gear. Not a bad idea on an engine with 10k RPM redline.

You guys crack me up...

autoteach 11-05-2008 12:36 PM

Yeah, the minute rotating mass issue... If i was worried about it I would have done a 520 chain n sprocket set.

As for digging out of corners last night. I had the 43-16 on (still haven't switched back since the tail, no time) I was hanging the front wheel coming out of sweepers at 35-40mph in second. 1st gear was a little obnoxious as keeping the front wheel down means keeping it below 3/4 throttle. And it wasn't clutching or bouncing or anything like that. I am not saying that it is out of control, its not a litre bike, but it is fairly aggressive. 15-43 would just be a pain.

FL02SupaHawk996 11-05-2008 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 187750)
Yeah, the minute rotating mass issue... If i was worried about it I would have done a 520 chain n sprocket set.

As for digging out of corners last night. I had the 43-16 on (still haven't switched back since the tail, no time) I was hanging the front wheel coming out of sweepers at 35-40mph in second. 1st gear was a little obnoxious as keeping the front wheel down means keeping it below 3/4 throttle. And it wasn't clutching or bouncing or anything like that. I am not saying that it is out of control, its not a litre bike, but it is fairly aggressive. 15-43 would just be a pain.

Auto, I like the 16/43 gearing too and I did go to the 520 and it may be my imagination, but it seems to of had ironed out some unwanted vibrations...seems that the larger chain was just not as smooth and I noticed it right away....RC

autoteach 11-05-2008 03:31 PM

The problem with the 520 is the wear characteristics with a twin. The chain takes a piss pounding. Its too bad, but there is nothing you can do about it. Its not a tensile issue, its the impulses beating the rollers into lumps of crap

Hotbrakes 11-05-2008 03:45 PM

One other key point- an engine is most efficient at its peak torque so figuring out where that is and adjusting your gearing to peak torque at 60mph for instance would provide the best MPG's.

I've had the 520 15/43 chain conversion for almost a year and at 6k miles my adjusters are at the halfway point. The sprocket does show wear so I estimate about 10k-15k miles of use before it needs to be replaced. I think OEM parts should get around 20k-30k?

Hawkrider 11-10-2008 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 187627)
I would pay someone to adjust my suspension, do gold valves and springing, and would probably do engine work if I didn't spend the money that I had...

So, you're in the market for fork work eh? Shoot me a PM. :mrgreen:

:threadjack:

autoteach 11-13-2008 07:01 AM

No,
I'm not in the market for fork work. What I was saying is if I was someone looking to improve the hawk, I would (and I worded it weird) put diff springs and valving in (something I could do) and then have a track day suspension shop set up the bike for me. I bought a book on the matter and learned a TON. I am close to where it should be, and the improvements that I made were big. The single biggest thing anyone can do to learn whats going on with the bike is to throw on some zipties and see how much travel you are using. I found out that I was bottoming my rear, and needed alot mor in the front. The static sag is tooooooo much in the front and the sag with me on is even worse. The front needs springs, n bad. I over sompensated with too little static sag but the bike turns very nice now. It is a little more quick than what I would want normally, but it is soooooo much bette than what it was.

My list of items to do was for the person who wants to make improvements to their bike, but doesn't know what should be done first. There are many options, but never make ur own exhaust unless you like saying, i made my own exhaust.

mikstr 11-13-2008 08:02 AM

Like RCVTR, I am also running 15/42 at the moment (although I may go back to 15/43 or try 16/44 next time around)

RCVTR 11-13-2008 08:15 AM

I had really good luck with AFAM sprockets and a DID ERV3 520 chain. They were still in good shape after two seasons - something like 20k miles.

I was plenty happy with 15/42 gearing. Seemed like I was in the power band when I wanted to be.

autoteach 11-13-2008 04:06 PM

How often did you lube your chain? I have a friend with a formula extreme 600 gsxr and it chewed threw a vortex rear no problem. my hawk punishes chains. I take pretty good care of them, but the last chain I would never ever ever ever ever...you get the idea. Krause chains when I bought mine were junk. Don't know how they are, but if you ask them, super sweet

RCVTR 11-13-2008 07:43 PM

I lubed my chain, when I took the time to. Not every ride, by any means.

I think it has more to do with using top quality components.

VTRsurfer 11-13-2008 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 187627)
The luggage rack kicks ass .

WHAT!!! :bananadance:

autoteach 11-14-2008 05:21 AM

I really need to get a camera and take some pictures, then you will be jealous