SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Aftermarket Exhaust Recommendations (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/aftermarket-exhaust-recommendations-21640/)

BURNIN-RICE-IS-NICE 02-25-2010 08:27 AM

Aftermarket Exhaust Recommendations

Just picked up a 2003 Superhawk and was wondering what u guys reccomend for a Aftermarket Exhaust-w/Nice Sound & Performance In Mind

captainchaos 02-25-2010 08:38 AM

Welcome aboard. First off if you use the search function you'll have a ton of info immediately instead of having to wait for responses as this has been discussed alot before. You really can't go wrong with whatever you choose. It's going to come down to personal taste and how much $ you have/want to spend. And nowadays simply finding some of them and alot of the good ones aren't even available any more. As far as sound I don't think there's an aftermarket exhaust that's been made that can make this bike sound bad. If you're on a a budget you may want do the bafflectomy on your stockers and you'll get most of the sound of aftermarket pipes. Along with proper jetting you may pick up a couple hp but it's mainly going to be a weight reduction, sound, and looks thing.

BURNIN-RICE-IS-NICE 02-25-2010 10:58 AM

Thanks for the Info!! I'm new to the Forum Thing!! I was just wondering if anyone had good success-(Bike Running Mint) w/a particular setup Jardine, Erion, Two Bros, Ect... w/what Jet Kit & Setting? My friend had the RC51 w/Mig Highmounts & a Power Commander & it sounded & ran mint, Unfortunately Mig is no longer and I lack fuel infection

4bangeranger 02-25-2010 11:06 AM

i have kerker exhaust love the sound... but i want some high mounts looks alot cleaner

NCDave 02-25-2010 11:30 AM

I would not recomment high mounts to anyone. The pipe has melted the heals on a pair of my track boots already. I've put guards on them over the winter, but to me, it's not worth it. I bought the bike with the hi-rise pipes on it, and it does look nice....just not functional.

4bangeranger 02-25-2010 11:51 AM

good to know dave lol not going to get any now. same price i can do my fork swap

8541Hawk 02-25-2010 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by NCDave (Post 255275)
I would not recomment high mounts to anyone. The pipe has melted the heals on a pair of my track boots already. I've put guards on them over the winter, but to me, it's not worth it. I bought the bike with the hi-rise pipes on it, and it does look nice....just not functional.

That and the first place the bike touches down is the header in a right hand turn

Attachment 8378

So on the up side they do look cool

but the down side is burned boots, more weight, more cost and you also loose 1-2hp due to longer exhaust system length without changing the cam timing to account for it.

That's why I have low mounts on mine ;)

4bangeranger 02-25-2010 11:55 AM

im keepin low lol cant lose 1-2hp lmao

nothing 02-25-2010 11:56 AM

I love how my wolf racing high mounts sound, real loud and growly, but a nice tone. and agreed with the high mount heel burning, it's all about foot placement, i only noticed burned heels when i'm in a wheelie and my foot is positioned differently

4bangeranger 02-25-2010 12:06 PM

has any one just changed exhaust and done dyno runs? just wondering

nath981 02-25-2010 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by BURNIN-RICE-IS-NICE (Post 255255)
Just picked up a 2003 Superhawk and was wondering what u guys reccomend for a Aftermarket Exhaust-w/Nice Sound & Performance In Mind

Hello Burnin! welcome to the Unofficial SH Forum. And since we are officially unofficial, then we need not be too concerned with propriety, huh. lol.

Therefore, I don't intend to highjack this thread, but since you're inquiring about aftermarket pipes, maybe we can throw other possibilities into the mix. Like Capt says there's much info on aftermarket pipes at the push of the search function, however, you can also read that some members have done all kinds of things with their OEM pipes, i.e., holes in the rear section, baffle removal of different degrees(1,2,or3), shortened mufflers to varying lengths with a baffle or none, etc.

The thing I was wondering is, given the exhaust alterations mentioned above, why is it necessary to be limited to modding OEM pipes, a few new aftermarket pipes or some used slip-ons that have been discontinued, when it seems plausible that you could use any slip-on you like or can get at the right price if you can get the brackets and mid-pipes to fit. This would offer many more options in terms of variety, availability, and price, and there are some cool looking designs out there made only for other bikes.

I certainly know that companies develop and sell these slip-ons based on dyno testing and that they are matched to each bike for performance and physical fitment; however, if forum members can do everything imaginable to the OEM mufflers and tune them to their satisfaction, it seems logical that we should be able to do the same with any slip-on, right?

captainchaos 02-25-2010 02:41 PM

Yeah for sure Nath. And I think most companies mufflers, especially the generation of exhausts made when our bikes were made, pretty much had the exact same mufflers for a superhawk, an rc51, a cbr, R1, whatever. I've seen so many of them whether it be two bros, jardine, d&d, leovince, hindle, akrapovic, whatever... Matching up any mufflers to some midpipes is only a matter of a little careful pipe expanding and maybe welding up someplace to hook some springs for the ones that use them. Some, like the chrome jardine mids w/ round black mufflers are interchangeable with D&Ds as is. The possibilites are endless, including all the new styles out there now. Probably going to have to resort to this more and more as exhausts get harder to find. And it's really a must do for these bikes because they really sound awesome.

fpalbrecht 02-25-2010 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2003 I love that year!! Yoshimura is what I have. Very happy with them.
Attachment 27837

Hawknut 02-25-2010 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by nath981 (Post 255286)
Hello Burnin! welcome to the Unofficial SH Forum. And since we are officially unofficial, then we need not be too concerned with propriety, huh. lol.

Therefore, I don't intend to highjack this thread, but since you're inquiring about aftermarket pipes, maybe we can throw other possibilities into the mix. Like Capt says there's much info on aftermarket pipes at the push of the search function, however, you can also read that some members have done all kinds of things with their OEM pipes, i.e., holes in the rear section, baffle removal of different degrees(1,2,or3), shortened mufflers to varying lengths with a baffle or none, etc.

The thing I was wondering is, given the exhaust alterations mentioned above, why is it necessary to be limited to modding OEM pipes, a few new aftermarket pipes or some used slip-ons that have been discontinued, when it seems plausible that you could use any slip-on you like or can get at the right price if you can get the brackets and mid-pipes to fit. This would offer many more options in terms of variety, availability, and price, and there are some cool looking designs out there made only for other bikes.

I certainly know that companies develop and sell these slip-ons based on dyno testing and that they are matched to each bike for performance and physical fitment; however, if forum members can do everything imaginable to the OEM mufflers and tune them to their satisfaction, it seems logical that we should be able to do the same with any slip-on, right?

And with that being said-------I want thesehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWPhj...eature=related And welcome.

Hawknut 02-25-2010 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by fpalbrecht (Post 255301)
2003 I love that year!! Yoshimura is what I have. Very happy with them.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...t/P1010001.jpg

My choice.Probably on one of the quieter choices but still sound nice.

nath981 02-26-2010 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hawknut (Post 255330)
And with that being said-------I want thesehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWPhj...eature=related And welcome.

me too! now that's what I'm talkin about. :D

mikstr 02-26-2010 07:43 AM

Here's a sweet deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...Q5fAccessories

nath981 02-26-2010 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 255351)

they are nice looking and much lighter, however, starting bid price can be a long way from sell price, not speaking of any reserve.

stebbdt 02-26-2010 02:17 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Check these out.

nuhawk 02-26-2010 04:26 PM

What we need around here is a new oil thread.

nath981 02-26-2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by stebbdt (Post 255384)

pretty good looking, light weight, and the right price. Somebody's getting smart,huh. cheap pipes.

skokievtr 02-26-2010 05:13 PM

who r these guys?

good prices!
http://www.delkevic.us/?section=shop...erm=&order_by=

nath981 02-26-2010 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 255400)

I don't know but they have 4 kinds of pipes for superhawks, all oval. Titanium $400. Not bad lookin from the pics but is the quality good or not? who knows.

motojoe 02-26-2010 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Somebody posted this photo a while back. It was for using the stock mufflers to have more of an up swept look. I don't have all the details but here is a start.

nath981 02-26-2010 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 255394)
What we need around here is a new oil thread.

actually. i was thinking about askin about Shell oil 30 vs 40wt and its affect on the clutch slipping, but since you feel that way about it, I'll do a search, shit.:mad::mad:

stebbdt 02-28-2010 05:01 AM

Just to add a note here, I have contacted these guys, first to get inlet size ( it matches the mids I picked up from someone on here a while back) and the other day directly from the e-bay listing asking if they had a set to match the VTR and was answered that "at this time we do not have LINK pipe's for the VTR, so be aware that you should call them if you're going to order from them and verify. For me all I'd need is the cans, so for the price I'll probably try 'em.
Now, for oil I'm using Rotella-T and thats all I have to say about that.

nath981 02-28-2010 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by stebbdt (Post 255535)
Just to add a note here, I have contacted these guys, first to get inlet size ( it matches the mids I picked up from someone on here a while back) and the other day directly from the e-bay listing asking if they had a set to match the VTR and was answered that "at this time we do not have LINK pipe's for the VTR, so be aware that you should call them if you're going to order from them and verify. For me all I'd need is the cans, so for the price I'll probably try 'em.
Now, for oil I'm using Rotella-T and thats all I have to say about that.

did you see this:

http://www.delkevic.us/?section=shop&mode=model_search

it's under FX firestorm, but it should be the same as the SH.

nuhawk and I were just being sarcastic about the oil thread, but i heard reports from a reputable source that there is a danger of compulsive gambling addiction onset as a negative side effect caused by having too much money available from motorcyclists buying cheap oil.

finepooch 03-07-2010 07:17 PM

i just looked at the delkovic web site. i'm impressed with the apparent value their products offer, but i have a couple questions.

what is up with the name? is it a rip off of a akropovic?

how can they sell dual slip ons for $280 and single slip ons for $180?

how can they sell wheels for $180?

if this stuff is for real i say kudos to them. has anyone bought anything from them? good or bad experience?

MOONSTER 03-12-2010 05:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the Forum & to the pleasures of the SuperHawk. Choosing exhaust for one's bike is like choosing a condom you might prefer. It's a personel prefrence. I've been very happy with the BlueFlame Evo's with duel outlets. This way you have up to 4 different choices of sound.

NakedOne 03-13-2010 06:09 PM

I'm having the same questions. I'm looking at getting into a nice sounding exhaust without paying up the a** for it. Anyone with experience with the delkevic cans? I was also looking at the D&D. Wow so confusing.....I had an M4 on my SV and it sounded awsome and now again I have to chose. Help!!!!!