SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   34k on my VTR how urgent is the manual CCT (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/34k-my-vtr-how-urgent-manual-cct-23500/)

skycam 08-14-2010 11:04 PM

34k on my VTR how urgent is the manual CCT

34k on my VTR how urgent is the manual CCT
i am concerned about how urgent changing the cam chain tensioner is.
i find myself using motor breaking a lot and riding my VTR like i stole it.

i am interested in what the general consensus is about manual CCT is this something i need to do ASAP?

what is the percentage of riders that do it?

thanks for helping

Ian 1998 honda VTR 1000

lukenukem47 08-14-2010 11:12 PM

I have 49k on mine and I would like to know the answer too

ranchomice 08-14-2010 11:14 PM

Depends on who you ask. I would say it would be a good idea to change them out for new ones to be safe but oem or manual is up to you. A real good person to ask would be 8541 hawk, he has a LOT of miles on stock cct's and has real good knowledge of the hawk.

jbaxx 08-15-2010 12:20 AM

How lucky do you feel?

Tweety 08-15-2010 03:24 AM

If you have owned the bike all those miles, taken good care of it and know thay are in good condition, keep riding...

If the bike is new to you, and the CCT's condition is then unknown... Swap the CCT's... Now... Doesn't matter much if you go with the manual (APE or DIY) or a set of new OEM ones... Either is a good choice...

The thing is, CCT's can go long miles, with the rigth rider, good general maintanance and little abuse... They can also fail without any prior warning, and when they let go under load it's always much more expensive than the swap would have been...

skycam, by your description, your ridingstyle is the type the CCT's dislike, so manual would probably be my recommendation for you...

8541Hawk 08-15-2010 11:17 AM

:iagree:

skycam 08-15-2010 12:59 PM

thanks
looks like the general feeling is you have been warned.

this is the answer i expected just wanted to be sure i was not being an alarmist.

nothing 08-15-2010 03:37 PM

I just picked up my second cct-blown engine the other day, they're for projects.

2whltuner 08-20-2010 12:11 PM

If you haven't done so, do it now before they do, a $100 for -2- manual cam chain tensioners from APE and an hours labor can prevent tears later after your oem cct's fail to do their job

Prevention is better than cure
pay me now or pay me more later

nothing 08-20-2010 12:39 PM

I have a couple set of the stock cct's for sale you can modify to make adjustable and just as good as the apes. there is a write up on here on how to do it, I actually am in the process of making one of the sets adjustable right now.

7moore7 08-20-2010 01:50 PM

i know this has been discussed before, but couldn't remember/find what answer I was looking for: Is there any downside to going manual CCT's?

I just ordered mine and am ready to do the install- for reasons stated (picked up the bike with 24K, don't know the history, looks like it's been wrecked before so may have other abuses, etc)- but before I do wanted to know if there was a opportunity cost

Tweety 08-20-2010 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 278647)
i know this has been discussed before, but couldn't remember/find what answer I was looking for: Is there any downside to going manual CCT's?

I just ordered mine and am ready to do the install- for reasons stated (picked up the bike with 24K, don't know the history, looks like it's been wrecked before so may have other abuses, etc)- but before I do wanted to know if there was a opportunity cost

The downside is the same as the benefit... They are manual... Ie it's he nut turning the nut that makes the adjustment, or not if that's the case...

7moore7 08-24-2010 11:20 AM

Ah, great. I suppose a major production manufacturer such as Honda has good enough reason to go with a product that is harder for the average person to screw up. But, me being below average, the install will commence. Thanks Tweety!